Little batch of jam

koshergrl

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2011
My daughter and I went out this am and she picked a tiny bit of berries....enough for a pint and a half of jam. I'm happy because I have made exactly zero jam for two years...the berries came ripe then the temp dropped and was wet, which meant the blackberries rotted and molded.

So we went out this am and picked a tiny handful of huckleberries (which don't rot but are tiny and a pain to pick and clean) and she added a couple cups of blackberries to the collection before she got hungry.

I pulled all the canning paraphanalia out for one full pint of jam, and a half pint which I didn't even process but put directly in the fridge. We go through a lot of jam....

But the cool thing is I used the Foley and it was great!!!!

WP_20150815_004.jpg
Berries and pectin
WP_20150815_008.jpg
Add sugar bring to a boil
WP_20150815_010.jpg
Snoop is resting.

I loooove huckleberries. I have a secret spot near here I've been waiting for a ripening.

You clean them though? What for? You think they get sprayed?

What's a "Foley"? Far as I know it means sound effects.

Reminds me of when I was a kid,we'd pick dewberries and mom would make pies and jam.
Damn KG! Thats twice in one week you've made me wax nostalgic....thanks.
upload_2015-8-15_17-5-25.png

There was an old black women that use to tell us. Never pick Dewberries by the train tracks no matter how thick they were(and they were always thick)because the conductor and caboose man pee'd of the trains.
It didnt take us long to figure out she was picking them for herself,but I gotta admit she had us going for a season.

Here's a vid on cleaning berries. Blackberries are easy, I just spray them off. But huckleberries have bugs, spiders, sticks, leaves, stems....this workds well.

Here's a vid on cleaning berries. Blackberries are easy, I just spray them off. But huckleberries have bugs, spiders, sticks, leaves, stems....this workds well.

Somebody's a sloppy picker :lol:
I never pick leaves and twigs -- just the berries. I have a ton of blackberries on my land here, and I never spray 'em.

Bugs are protein. :thup:

Fireweed flowers make a nice, delicate jelly but it's a shame to waste 'em when ther COULD be used to make a nice wine.....
I was all gung ho to make blackberry wine but then the berries rotted on the vine two years running. Now I've lost the motivation.

Jam looks delicious!!!:thup:

You have a beautiful family koshergrl!

and...Snoop is adorable!

Thank you for posting!

That's my eldest and his babies. Snoop was his first, lol. But he lives with me now (snoop does).

Picked some huckleberries this am, enough to make a jar or so. The spider situation eventually gets to me...not to mention the mosquitoes.
WP_20150816_001.jpg
WP_20150816_003.jpg
I know the pic is blurry...the bushes are loaded.

One pint and two halfpints of huckleberry jam and it looks yum.

That's a good swap....we've already gone through the half-pint of bberry jam in the fridge....I might break into the huckleberry jam just to make sure it's not poison....

I made strawberry jam a few years ago with local berries...one of the neighborhood boys ate a whole pint of it with a spoon. This stuff is good like that stuff was...

Forum List

Back