Home file server

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
I'm trying to put together a home file server. I only want it to store user files (primarily office files) and e-mail backups, address books and folders (no videos or pictures), everything I find online is geared towards home web servers. I'm using an old Dell GX260 (Pentium 4) running on Ubuntu 10.10. I'm going to try Tasksel Lamp server, looks like more than I need but I'm kinda at a loss and this looks like the easiest to install and use.
A home file server is the option I have decided to pursue so any ideas, valid comments and or appropriate suggestions along these lines would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Loaded Xubuntu, followed the instructions and the 'set password' box never popped up.

Now I do have the Ubuntu server OS but I get stuck when I reach the 'create a static IP address' setup, I have no idea how to do it and it doesn't tell me anything other than search the IP range your computers are using. In a nutshell - what the fuck is that??????!!!!!!!!
Oh, I know what an IP address is, don't know how to find it, don't know how to create one.
If I knew that I could set up my home server.
Back up hard drives are starting to look more and more appealing, it's just that I'm cheap and don't want to spend the money. :lol:

Forum List

Back