....Streaming: Cannot Connect To Router

Samson

Póg Mo Thóin
Dec 3, 2009
A Higher Plain
It works great all fucking day,

Netflix: No buffering problems

Pandora: Play it all day....no problem.

But EVERY NIGHT at about 2100 hr MST I cannot get shit, except for a "No Connectivity Error" and the advice to try to connect later.

I've done some research, and found this form March 2009:

http://blog.netflix.com/2009/03/netflix-trying-for-consistent.html

Congestion Could Affect Some Users, But Not Others, at Some Times, but Not Always
Content from Netflix originates on CDN servers that are distributed around the US (just as our DVD shipping centers are) so that the data doesn’t have to traverse the Internet backbones to get to our customers, but instead can usually reach its destination via regional and metro networks that have much higher aggregate bandwidth. This means that if there is any congestion and slowdown, it will be different in different regions (by Internet topology, which isn’t completely tied to geography). Hence some customers may be affected, while others are not. Also, routing to different ISPs in the same region may be quite different, thus performance may also be quite different, even for neighbors, if they are connected to different ISPs. Moreover, congesting points can rise and fall with ISP configuration changes and other conditions.

OK so they've known about this for the past 2 years.

I joined the Netflix Forum, but its ridiculously difficult to find anything related to this issue.

WTF? How far away from NYC, Chicago, LA do I need to be to avoid internet congestion?

I CANNOT GET ANY FURTHER!!

Should I attempt to change my ISP?

But EVERY NIGHT at about 2100 hr MST I cannot get shit, except for a "No Connectivity Error" and the advice to try to connect later.

Congestion Could Affect Some Users, But Not Others, at Some Times, but Not Always
Content from Netflix originates on CDN servers that are distributed around the US (just as our DVD shipping centers are) so that the data doesn’t have to traverse the Internet backbones to get to our customers, but instead can usually reach its destination via regional and metro networks that have much higher aggregate bandwidth. This means that if there is any congestion and slowdown, it will be different in different regions (by Internet topology, which isn’t completely tied to geography). Hence some customers may be affected, while others are not. Also, routing to different ISPs in the same region may be quite different, thus performance may also be quite different, even for neighbors, if they are connected to different ISPs. Moreover, congesting points can rise and fall with ISP configuration changes and other conditions.

I joined the Netflix Forum, but its ridiculously difficult to find anything related to this issue.

WTF? How far away from NYC, Chicago, LA do I need to be to avoid internet congestion?

Are you running on xDSL or cable?

Are you running on xDSL or cable?

Cable.

Just got off the chatline with the Comcast Analyst, who re-vamped my line and connections, so we'll see what happens later tonight

Cable is node networking. If you are living in an area of many apartments and living spaces, then I can certainly see how this might well effect your connection at ~8 - 12. (High Usage Time)

You can always see if xDSL is in the area. xDSL is dedicated and will not have the drops that cable can have in areas of high distribution of nodes.

xDSL is not usually as fast as cable, but it also does not have the issue with node overuse.

That's likely the reason. They can't change that with some line reassertion.

I would use the xDSL against the cable and demand a better connection, not reasserting a line.

Cable is node networking. If you are living in an area of many apartments and living spaces, then I can certainly see how this might well effect your connection at ~8 - 12. (High Usage Time)

You can always see if xDSL is in the area. xDSL is dedicated and will not have the drops that cable can have in areas of high distribution of nodes.

xDSL is not usually as fast as cable, but it also does not have the issue with node overuse.

I would use the xDSL against the cable and demand a better connection, not reasserting a line.

I just wonder if there's a "Nodal Conspiracy"...:evil:..am I the only fucker in my node that's being crammed out? Maybe if I cut everone elses line in the neighborhood, then I could watch Dexter before going to sleep?

Not cut out completely. That's something else entirely. Does your entire line connection die?

Pop service? http? www?

Not cut out completely. That's something else entirely. Does your entire line connection die?

Pop service? http? www?

No, just streaming providers like Netflix, Pandora, ETC....but it happens with all of them at 9 PM MST.

I tried to bribe the Comcast Analyst to fuck up all the other members on my node, but she refused:evil:

She can't. This problem is with the streaming sites being congested at the times you specify. Either Comcast can increase your speed by changing your server to a higher mb/s server, or they can change your node server.

That's where I would go. I'm surprised they did not try to sell you a faster package. That might mean they have no faster package.

If you have fiber optics in your area - I highly recommend it. (Such as ATT Uverse)
Waaaaaaaaay faster than cable, and HD is waaaay better as well.
After we switched to Uverse Netflix, VeeHD etc. works great.
When we were SBC DSL...Netfli kept switching to lower res at night. would freeze and buffer every 5 minutes etc.
Now...great connectivity all the time.

And P.S....he's right about cable. The bastards will divide up a line in apartments and businesses making it impossible to have consistent speed.

Yep Cable is just like a big network, if you live in a college or hi apt density area you are just plain screwed at peak times.

Forum List

Back