Phone Spoofing & Truth in Caller ID Act

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
The Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009 was signed into law Dec. 23, 2010. The Act amends the Communications Act of 1934 by adding a new section, which prohibits any person, in connection with any telecommunications service or Internet Protocol (IP)-enabled voice service, from causing any caller identification (ID) service to knowingly transmit misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is charged with drafting and implementing regulations related to the Act no later than June 23, 2011.

The Act authorizes civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation, or three times that amount for each day of a continuing violation, up to a total of $1,000,000 for any single act or failure to act. A two-year statute of limitation applies to these civil penalties. In addition, the bill authorizes criminal fines of up to $10,000 for each violation, or three times that amount for each day of continuing violation, in lieu of civil penalties. The FCC and state attorneys general have the right to enforce these provisions. There is no private cause of action for violations of the Truth in Caller ID Act.

Truth in Caller ID Act Amends TCPA - ACA International

I just heard two terrifying stories about people being "spoofed" by electronic prank calls. Someone told me that "there's an app for that" on the IPhone.

Does anyone know how these apps work, and when they are illegal? I have a friend who is pursuing harrassment charges.

The Truth in Caller ID Act of 2009 was signed into law Dec. 23, 2010. The Act amends the Communications Act of 1934 by adding a new section, which prohibits any person, in connection with any telecommunications service or Internet Protocol (IP)-enabled voice service, from causing any caller identification (ID) service to knowingly transmit misleading or inaccurate caller ID information with the intent to defraud, cause harm, or wrongfully obtain anything of value. The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) is charged with drafting and implementing regulations related to the Act no later than June 23, 2011.

The Act authorizes civil penalties of up to $10,000 for each violation, or three times that amount for each day of a continuing violation, up to a total of $1,000,000 for any single act or failure to act. A two-year statute of limitation applies to these civil penalties. In addition, the bill authorizes criminal fines of up to $10,000 for each violation, or three times that amount for each day of continuing violation, in lieu of civil penalties. The FCC and state attorneys general have the right to enforce these provisions. There is no private cause of action for violations of the Truth in Caller ID Act.

I just heard two terrifying stories about people being "spoofed" by electronic prank calls. Someone told me that "there's an app for that" on the IPhone.

Does anyone know how these apps work, and when they are illegal? I have a friend who is pursuing harrassment charges.

Bluff My Call - Change Your Caller ID and Voice From Any Phone

You can get apps for iphone and blackberry.

Hmmm. Thanks.

One woman was told her husband was in the hospital.

The other got "gangsta" threats all night long for a month. Her daughter has been sleeping with a pellet gun.

Hmmm. Thanks.

The other got "gangsta" threats all night long for a month. Her daughter has been sleeping with a pellet gun.

It's a difficult one. I kind of see the issue, but on the other hand, I don't like Government banning shit. I've never used this facility and I don't really understand why anyone would want to... other than for mischief... but is that a reason to ban it? I don't know.

Harrassment is already against the law. I think in the 2nd case, it wouldn't matter if it was an old fashioned prank call or an electronic one.

The students have been suspended from school for four days. It wouldn't surprise me if some asshole parent tries to sue the school because of the "first amendment".

She's a wreck. Recently divorced; living alone with young daughter. Hasn't slept in a month. The police told her to change her number, but she honestly thought it would stop. It didn't until they found out who was doing it.

Harrassment is already against the law. I think in the 2nd case, it wouldn't matter if it was an old fashioned prank call or an electronic one.

The students have been suspended from school for four days. It wouldn't surprise me if some asshole parent tries to sue the school because of the "first amendment".

She's a wreck. Recently divorced; living alone with young daughter. Hasn't slept in a month. The police told her to change her number, but she honestly thought it would stop. It didn't until they found out who was doing it.

Since there is already a law, I don't really see why the industry around 'spoof' calling should be penalized.

spoof cards can be used to make it appear that someone is calling you from your phone etc...they should be outlawed

I guess that's my question bones. I am wondering if this federal law addresses that.

This is the irony of that story. Apparently the students in question had no beef with the teacher who was harrassed. In fact, I don't think she really even knew them. The little fuckers had a problem with a male teacher, and it was his name that showed up on her caller I.D. In their warped minds, they thought the male teacher would be charged with harrassment. They never even considered the effect on the real victim.

The other kids think the prank was pretty funny. Hopefully, they will learn that these kids won't be laughing if and when they have a juvenile record.

What a wimpie generation this is becoming.

Back in the day you never knew who was on the other end of the line.

Somehow we managed to survive.

What a wimpie generation this is becoming. Back in the day you never knew who was on the other end of the line. Somehow we managed to survive.
This. :lol:

And because of caller I.D. fewer people will say who they are.
"Hello?"
"Yo, let me talk to Angela"
"Who is this?"
"I wanna' talk to Angela"
Yeah, who are you?
"She asked me to call her"
"Right, now I'm asking you to identify yourself"
"That's between me and her" (People have actually said that to me before)
"Well now it's between me and you. Who are you?"
"Man, just put Angela on the phone"
"Call back when you learn some manners"

Last edited:

They essentially work by routing your call through a node that makes it appear like it is coming from another number and address. Nothing special about them, they have existed for years.

As for why they are illegal, my guess it is because Congress always feels it is necessary to make more laws to outlaw things that are already illegal. The Truth in Caller ID Act is not going to make a bit of difference to any legitimate person or business, because the only people it actively affects are people who are doing something illegal.

It does give the feds another toe hold to go after people who are not calling across state lines to commit petty crimes, which will pad the FBI and federal prosecutor conviction rates, and get them more money. Other than that it serves no useful purpose. Is my cynicism showing again?

Hmmm. Thanks.

It's a difficult one. I kind of see the issue, but on the other hand, I don't like Government banning shit. I've never used this facility and I don't really understand why anyone would want to... other than for mischief... but is that a reason to ban it? I don't know.

Some people used to say the same thing about blocking caller ID way back when, yet people use it to legitimately protect their privacy now. One legitimate use I can think of is calling a business that you know has a reputation for adding anyone that calls them to a call list, but you still need to contact. Would you really want to let Comcast have your phone number simply because you want to ask them about rates so you can use it to get a better deal with your ISP?

What a wimpie generation this is becoming. Back in the day you never knew who was on the other end of the line. Somehow we managed to survive.
This. :lol:

And because of caller I.D. fewer people will say who they are.
"Hello?"
"Yo, let me talk to Angela"
"Who is this?"
"I wanna' talk to Angela"
Yeah, who are you?
"She asked me to call her"
"Right, now I'm asking you to identify yourself"
"That's between me and her" (People have actually said that to me before)
"Well now it's between me and you. Who are you?"
"Man, just put Angela on the phone"
"Call back when you learn some manners"

My conversations usually go a little different.

"Hello."
"I want to speak with Angela."
"Sorry, wrong number."
"Who is this?"
"Me."
"What number is this?"
"You called me, figure it out yourself."
"Fuck you, you don't have to be so rude?"
"Stop calling me then."
click

They essentially work by routing your call through a node that makes it appear like it is coming from another number and address. Nothing special about them, they have existed for years.

As for why they are illegal, my guess it is because Congress always feels it is necessary to make more laws to outlaw things that are already illegal. The Truth in Caller ID Act is not going to make a bit of difference to any legitimate person or business, because the only people it actively affects are people who are doing something illegal.

It does give the feds another toe hold to go after people who are not calling across state lines to commit petty crimes, which will pad the FBI and federal prosecutor conviction rates, and get them more money. Other than that it serves no useful
purpose. Is my cynicism showing again?

So these apps are illegal and always have been? Can people go after the companies?

It does give the feds another toe hold to go after people who are not calling across state lines to commit petty crimes, which will pad the FBI and federal prosecutor conviction rates, and get them more money. Other than that it serves no useful
purpose. Is my cynicism showing again?

So these apps are illegal and always have been? Can people go after the companies?

The apps are not illegal, neither is spoofing you caller ID. Committing fraud, harassment, and all the other illegal activities this law covers is illegal, and always has been.

It's a service mostly geared towards companies who use it to call customers and clients without having the phone number that's being used to be identified.

Bill collectors, for one. But many other business purposes as well.

It just happens to be available to anyone to use.

My buddy and I used to mess around with the app once in a while to screw with friends, but nothing ever damaging in nature.

It's not like all your info isn't being saved somewhere to potentially be used against you if you do something illegal. You'd have to be a moron to think you could get away with it.

Sorry if I seem confused but this is very confusing to me. Spoofind is fraud and apps that make calls every hour is harrassment. So what you are saying is that the apps are not illegal, but using them is?

And do local police enforce a federal law like this or do you have to contact the FCC or the FBI?

Forum List

Back