Holy Mary, Mother of God - Boehner loses his ever-loving mind

Congress didn't seem to grasp that 4T is what was needed to keep the AAA rating; anything less than that was guaranteed to downgrade our rating. Fail on both Rs and Ds.

S&P doesn't have any confidence that the U.S. will be able to remedy this either, they believe that we will continue to have problems getting our finances under control. If drastic spending cuts aren't implemented -- and note, everything should be on the table, no free passes for anyone -- then we will see another downgrade. I don't get your calling Boehner a putz over this . . . someone has to draw a line in the sand and he did.

What are Rs suppose to do? Roll over and just raise the ceiling like the Ds want to do? How does that solve anything? 4T was needed last time, they came up with 2+T . . . there's still 2T (or more) in cuts that need to be made.

Why is it so hard for people to understand that continuing to borrow in order to foot the bill will not work, that eventually we will implode? Why is it so wrong to cut spending? Why is it wrong to live within our means, within our budget? Oh, that's right we don't have no stinkin' budget.

Bolded - I didn't. That's not a term normally found in my vocabulary, even.

Just a figure of speech but you're right, those weren't my exact words Greg. You called him crazy.

That's it? Hmmm ...

?? Who is Greg?

Bolded - I didn't. That's not a term normally found in my vocabulary, even.

Just a figure of speech but you're right, those weren't your exact words Greg. You called him crazy.

That's it? Hmmm ...

?? Who is Greg?

I thought you were of an age that you were familiar with the show of long ago, The Brady Bunch (the bolded, above, it's a line from that show). My bad. Was just interjecting a little lightness into mah post. :lol:

Obama's rocket fail on setting up and keeping a responsible budget and getting along with conservatives who are tired of his refusal to do the right thing:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ty0SvrQSu4]Rocket launch fail - YouTube[/ame]

Our best hope is to put Romney in and have the adults do budgets from now on. You have to live within your means.

Yes. It's class warfare, in a society with no classes, to cut spending from the largest programs with the highest amounts of waste, that we can't afford.

Meanwhile, wanting to defend ourselves from enemies, you know, the one thing the Federal Government is actually supposed to do, is just a waste of money

Come on Avatar...There isnt another country that comes HALF way to having what we have in defense. You might have an arguement during the Cold War but now, we are playing king of the hill by ourselves. Our Military dwarfs others but we NEVER EVER EVER reduce the money they get. If you want to talk about the most waste...Check the pentagon. I dont understand you guys...There is waste in the pentagon and waste in every other govt program.

But you guys see helping fellow Americans as bad waste....Pentagon is good waste. :confused:

There's not another country that comes HALF way to having the GDP we have; spending for defense is what protects those interests globally. Lines on a map are only as valid as the ability and willingness of those behind them to defend them. We also are the world's policeman, like it or not, and the world economy is wildly better off for our being there. And frankly, I'd rather support an engineer's job at Lockheed-Martin or Raytheon than continue to increase spending for people whose greatest gift to society is increasing the ratings for daytime TV.

I've never read anything that was so contrary to Jefferson's views.
No, it is not our responsibility to police the world. How has that worked out for you so far? Korea, Viet Nam, Nicaragua, Iran, Columbia, Iraq, Libya... how did the US citizenry (not the Military Industrial Complex / politicians) benefit? How exactly has say, Iran, Iraq or Columbia shown their appreciation?
And while you talk about how these continual military engagements are good for our economy, perhaps you would like to explain how the cost of those wars helps us?
Seriously deep kool-aid drinking there.

Come on Avatar...There isnt another country that comes HALF way to having what we have in defense. You might have an arguement during the Cold War but now, we are playing king of the hill by ourselves. Our Military dwarfs others but we NEVER EVER EVER reduce the money they get. If you want to talk about the most waste...Check the pentagon. I dont understand you guys...There is waste in the pentagon and waste in every other govt program.

But you guys see helping fellow Americans as bad waste....Pentagon is good waste. :confused:

There's not another country that comes HALF way to having the GDP we have; spending for defense is what protects those interests globally. Lines on a map are only as valid as the ability and willingness of those behind them to defend them. We also are the world's policeman, like it or not, and the world economy is wildly better off for our being there. And frankly, I'd rather support an engineer's job at Lockheed-Martin or Raytheon than continue to increase spending for people whose greatest gift to society is increasing the ratings for daytime TV.
No, it is not our responsibility to police the world.
But, it -is- our responsibility to defend our national interests, which spread all across the globe.

Willow should consider herself bitchslapped.

I've long been on record saying that W. was just as bad as the Democrats when it came to spending. The reason the Republicans lost their asses in 2008 was because they were no longer perceived as the party of fiscal responsibility. The only reason that the Democrats were crushed four years later was that THEY were even worse.

well history has proven you wrong. Bush upped the deficit about 4.8 T in eight years,, and obama has upped it 5T in 3 short years.. so W isn't and wasn't just as bad.

The damages done by the Bush Administration will be felt for generations due to unfunded wars and an unfunded Medicare Part D entitlement.

The bill for the rampant excesses came due during the Obama administration and he seriously flubbed TARP. The stimulus will be felt during the next four years during which if Obama is in office, persons like you will not give him credit and if Romney is in office, persons like you will give him 100% of the credit. We both know that. You do not have it in you to be honest. We both also know that.

The reason the GOP lost in 08 was partly because of Bush and the endless and pointless wars which Bush himself acknowledged in his "new way forward" initiative; realizing that he had no idea why we were still there years after Saddam was toppled, partly because Obama was perceived as a change agent which he was since we are now out of Iraq and re-focused on the war on terror and not the war on daddy's unfinished business, and partly due to the dinosaur you guys chose to run against him. Blame yourselves.

No one can get away with borrowing money to pay the interest only on a debt. Any debt.

If someone is living that far beyond their means, they need a serious reexamination of their income and budget. Maybe they'll have to do without a few luxuries.

When you didn't ask the seven times Bush raised it? You lost your right to ask.

I've long been on record saying that W. was just as bad as the Democrats when it came to spending. The reason the Republicans lost their asses in 2008 was because they were no longer perceived as the party of fiscal responsibility. The only reason that the Democrats were crushed four years later was that THEY were even worse.

Well the 2012 elections haven't taken place yet.

The 2010 elections were more or less a referendum on the Affordable Care Act and were bathed in the hysteria created by the TEA party. Now that it has passed and the world hasn't come to a screeching halt, you won't see the same activist-inspired hysteria that you saw in '10. Budgets had little to do with the 2010 election.

The 2010 elections were more or less a referendum on the Affordable Care Act and were bathed in the hysteria created by the TEA party. Now that it has passed and the world hasn't come to a screeching halt, you won't see the same activist-inspired hysteria that you saw in '10. Budgets had little to do with the 2010 election.

Seriously? That's because ObamaCare hasn't really fired up yet. Have you had your head in the sand while story after story has come out about the problems with it when it does hit. Had we been able to see it before it got passed (remember that), it might have died on the vine as it should have without having to have all of these legal challenges and the SCOTUS decide.

No, it is not our responsibility to police the world.
But, it -is- our responsibility to defend our national interests, which spread all across the globe.

Yeah and the interests we were defending in Columbia, Nicaragua, Iran and Iraq were what exactly?
Those weren't in the interests of the U.S. citizenry, they were the interests of Global Corporations who buy our politicians. Fug 'em.

I should be grateful. I know he's throwing the election. But it's like watching a train wreck.

Taxmageddon sparks rising anxiety - The Washington Post

In the meantime, political leaders are focused less on finding solutions than on drawing lines in the sand. In a speech Tuesday, House Speaker John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) plans to address the issue of national debt, which will once again be nearing its legal limit in January, just as the tax hikes and spending cuts are due to hit.

According to advance remarks provided to The Post, Boehner will insist that any increase in the debt limit be accompanied by spending “cuts and reforms greater than the debt limit increase” — the same demand that pushed the Treasury to the brink of default during last summer’s debt-limit standoff.

“This is the only avenue I see right now to force the elected leadership of this country to solve our structural fiscal imbalance,” Boehner plans to say at the Peter G. Peterson Foundation fiscal summit. “If that means we have to do a series of stop-gap measures, so be it.”

Last week, the House approved a plan to protect the Pentagon in January by reconfiguring $110 billion in across-the-board spending cuts — known as “sequestration” — so they would fall exclusively on domestic programs, such as food stamps and health care for the poor.

I think this says it well...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JU-OSLBKwG0]Pink Floyd-Comfortably Numb - YouTube[/ame]

...you have become comfortably numb

Sorry but I think you've totally missed that the American people were and still are, extremely concerned about our mounting deficits, Candy. They didn't like ObamaCare and didn't want ObamaCare but Barry, Harry and Nancy ignored them and pushed a horrendously written piece of legislation through anyways because the writing was on the wall that they were about to lose the supposed "mandate" they thought they were given in 2008. It wasn't Tea Party "hysteria" that made Americans dislike the Affordable Care Act...it's the Act itself. It's bad legislation. The American people wanted something done to lower the cost of their healthcare and instead they got a bill that makes the average American's healthcare costs higher while at the same time lowering the quality and availability of that care.

The 2010 elections were about progressives run amok with spending.

The 2012 election will be somewhat about budgets...namely the inability of the Democrats to even do something as basic to good governing as passing one.

Last edited:
well history has proven you wrong. Bush upped the deficit about 4.8 T in eight years,, and obama has upped it 5T in 3 short years.. so W isn't and wasn't just as bad.

And if you put HIS wars back on HIS books, where does that leave him?

And if it is Bad and Wrong to raise the debt ceiling, then my point stands.

Obviously, it is only Bad and Wrong when a Democrat is in the White House.

How high should the debt ceiling go?

Evidently as high as the Obama wants.. because Bush did it..

Why do you remain willfully ignorant. Why did we get downgraded. What was the specific quote. Oh, here. Let me supply that for you.

S&P officials defend US credit downgrade - Yahoo! Finance

I'm curious, Boop...when you read that...do you simply not GET the part where S&P says that they were "looking for 4 trillion in budget cuts" but instead got about half of that? All Boehner is saying is that THIS time around if the Democrats want to raise the debt ceiling they are going to have to make cuts in the budget somewhere. Failure to do so will most likely result in the second credit downgrade in our country's history...quite an accomplishment for one Administration.

What did S&P specify. In red. As their reason. Anything else is secondary.

And Boehner wants to take us there again.

Fine. Sucks to be him and his party.

Where exactly is it that Boehner wants to "take us"? He's asking for cuts in spending in return for an increase in the debt ceiling which is EXACTLY what S&P is saying needs to happen if we want to avoid another credit downgrade. In order to reduce the deficit we either need to cut spending or we need to raise taxes. If we raise taxes we cripple the economic recovery. Even Christina Romer recognized that! So with that in mind all that's left is cutting spending. But every time cuts are proposed, the Democrats immediately attack the Republicans for being "Draconian". That's why S&P is expressing doubt that the American political leadership has the willpower to cut the deficit.

whisp.jpg

Forum List

Back