Holy... ANOTHER Pub Food restaurant?

iamwhatiseem

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2010
On a hill
Downtown... during Covid almost all of the restaurants went out of business.
Since then, one after another was reopened by a new owner and turned it into a Pub Food place.
You know the deal... burgers, chicken sandwiches, and 5 appetizers - all deep fried.
In one location, just in the past 3 years - 3 restaurants in that location opened and closed.
Bonzi just saw a sign go up last week.... another Pub Food joint in the same location as 2 previous opened and failed.
Are people really this insane? Do they just have money sitting around they don't care about and think - "hey wouldn't it be fun to spend a bunch of money opening a pub restaurant for a few months?

It's like that everywhere these days.

I local lawyer and some of his friends opened one and predictably it failed in about a year and a half.

Asked about it he said they are huge tax write-off vehicles so maybe they are using them like doctors and such use charter fishing boats as tax write-offs.

I've often wondered about that too. I live in a tourist town and the turnover rate on restaurant space is brutal. It's like they forget that business here is seasonal but the rent is due all year.

I've often wondered about that too. I live in a tourist town and the turnover rate on restaurant space is brutal. It's like they forget that business here is seasonal but the rent is due all year.
More often than not non chain smaller restaurants and a few chains the owners think they can get away without paying payroll taxes and after a year or two disappear. Happened to a few independents in Destin and Miramar Beach a about 20 years ago. Some thought this a fast way to make a buck and run but all were eventually caught. When I was in the business up until 1992 I knew a few that did this.

Where I live only a handful closed down for good during covid and some closed for months, remodeled and have come back about 3 times as strong. New ones do pop up but they have not taken over one that closed.

More often than not non chain smaller restaurants and a few chains the owners think they can get away without paying payroll taxes and after a year or two disappear. Happened to a few independents in Destin and Miramar Beach a about 20 years ago. Some thought this a fast way to make a buck and run but all were eventually caught. When I was in the business up until 1992 I knew a few that did this.

Where I live only a handful closed down for good during covid and some closed for months, remodeled and have come back about 3 times as strong. New ones do pop up but they have not taken over one that closed.
We have one franchise restaurant, BK, out at the edge of town. The local government is actively hostile to chains of any kind. There's no place like this anywhere else on the Gulf coast. All of the local restaurants are locally owned,

We have one franchise restaurant, BK, out at the edge of town. The local government is actively hostile to chains of any kind. There's no place like this anywhere else on the Gulf coast. All of the local restaurants are locally owned,
Sounds like Boulder

Downtown... during Covid almost all of the restaurants went out of business.
Since then, one after another was reopened by a new owner and turned it into a Pub Food place.
You know the deal... burgers, chicken sandwiches, and 5 appetizers - all deep fried.
In one location, just in the past 3 years - 3 restaurants in that location opened and closed.
Bonzi just saw a sign go up last week.... another Pub Food joint in the same location as 2 previous opened and failed.
Are people really this insane? Do they just have money sitting around they don't care about and think - "hey wouldn't it be fun to spend a bunch of money opening a pub restaurant for a few months?
One thing I've noticed over the years: Some locations are just doomed and destined to fail.

We have a handful of regional chains but no fast food right on the beach. I can think of only one small hot dog place that went out of business but that was very mismanaged. Across the bridge there are about 6 or 7 franchised restaurants.

One thing I've noticed over the years: Some locations are just doomed and destined to fail.
These are the ones that think damn I will open a small restaurant without regards to ingrees, egress, how many of the same type of restaurants there are, make no business plan and are not ready for pissed off customers from time to time. Not enough capital and a business plan are not considered.

Forum List

Back