Hollywood Should Learn from Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports' started by onedomino, Oct 1, 2006.

1. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Tiger Woods won the AMEX tournament today in England. It was his 6th straight win on the PGA tour, a feat not accomplished since Ben Hogan did it in 1948. Considering the level of competition, to say that Woods is the greatest golfer ever is to state the obvious. Woods is a national treasure. He represents America with dignity, class, and excellence as he astounds sports fans the world over. In an entertainment world filled with the likes of Sean Penn, Oliver Stone, and others of their ilk, we appreciate that Tiger keeps his political opinions to himself and concentrates on his profession. Hollywood should learn from his example.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I agree. Big difference though. In golf (and some other sports) you need mental discipline to succeed, in Hollywood ya don’t.

3. Dr Grump

Dr Grump Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,250
    Woods is a class act. However, I have no problem with Hollywood - or anybody for that matter - spouting their political opinions - any type of opinion in fact...

4. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    I do. Not that it matters.

Opinion is fine, everyone has one. Spouting and opinion from a popularity pedestal of fame the public has placed you on, as so many in Hollywood do, as though you are an authority is quite different. Tiger seems to have class enough NOT to do that. Another major difference between Tiger and actors is, his position is a direct result of his work, personal achievement, and character, not politics, publicist, luck or connections to the good agents, directors etc.

He really seems to be a class act. (No pun intended)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  5. jillian

jillian Princess Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439

Funny, no one ever complained about Charleton Heston or Bruce Willis or Ahnold talking about their political opinions. Seems its only an issue because some don't like when those on the left side of the spectrum have any forum at all.

What I will say is I think that the forum has to be appropriate. I don't think it should be done at the Academy Awards or a concert people pay to see (unless they know in advance, as with the Vote For Change Tour, that they'll be getting some politics with their show).

And, yes, Woods is a class act.

6. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    Appropriate and honest.
    I don’t think you heard anything about Heston, Willis or Arnold because they weren’t making wild ass accusations. Big difference between an opinion and BS.:eek:

7. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    Depends on your opinion on what they're saying, doesn't it. Hence my observation that it's content-based on the part of the right.

8. onedomino

onedomino SCE to AUX

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +476
    Of course everyone has the right to their opinion and to speak it whenever they want. No one disputes that. I am as offended by vacuous, loud-mouthed celebrities from the right as I am from the left. It is an abuse of the media access afforded to celebrities that it should be used to inflict their opinions on everyone else. There is no equal access to the media. The uninformed are often influenced by the views of celebrities, while those in the media use the famous to advance their own political agendas. More people than we would guess adopt the views of celebrities as their own. That is why politicians court the famous at fund raisers and other events. No one would be interested in the views of Sean Penn, nor would he ever be queried, unless he was a celebrity. Therein lies the unfairness of broadcasting their political views, whether from the left or right.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +620
    And Left. Damn, can't leave em out, they may sue!:funnyface

On the other hand, there is a BIG difference between fact and baseless accusation. So let’s get with it Jillian, did or didn’t Bush plan 9/11? Get the point?

10. jillian

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,439
    And how many people besides Charlie Sheen are saying Bush planned 9/11? Leave it to the right to choose the most extreme example.

If Bush had planned 9/11... it probably never would have happened since he can't seem to do anything else successfully. ;)

But one thing ya gotta give Bush. He thinks the same thing on Wednesday as he did on Monday.... no matter what happened on Tuesday. (with thanks to Stephen Colbert... heh!)