Hollywood Should Learn from Tiger Woods

Since when would blogging or letters to the editor be considered equal media access compared with an interview with Larry King or Charlie Rose? Contrary to what you apparently want to believe, the general public does not have equal media access compared to celebrities. Further, I have no problem with celebrities using their status to do humanitarian work. I do have a problem with their using celebrity status as a way to obtain unequal media access and spew their personal political agendas. I object to this whether it comes from the left or the right.

So do you object as well to someone like Charleton Heston or Arnold Schwarzenegger (not to mention Reagan) using their celebrity status and "unequal access to the media" to further their political agendas and careers?

So do you object as well to someone like Charleton Heston or Arnold Schwarzenegger (not to mention Reagan) using their celebrity status and "unequal access to the media" to further their political agendas and careers?
Nuc, read more carefully. I said, "I object to this whether it comes from the left or the right."

Nuc, read more carefully. I said, "I object to this whether it comes from the left or the right."

Thanks, I saw that but I wasn't sure if you meant it.

Well, this is America and we have the first amendment. I think it says something rotten about our society that people put "celebrities" up on a pedestal and ignore the contributions of scientists and other serious people. Some actors and musicians know a lot about politics and social issues and others are clueless. This is going to be a problem as long as we are a fame and celebrity driven culture. Look at the ridiculous influence Oprah has for example. But there are times when celebrities feel they must take a stand. Louis Armstrong for example played it cool most of the time but at one point during the civil rights movement he spoke out, understandably.

Forum List

Back