Historical trivial question for y'all...

Agit8r

Gold Member
Dec 4, 2010
An African American named Crispus Attucks helped instigate an unruly protest during which he was shot and killed, along with four other protesters, by authorities on the scene.

This incident is commonly referred to by what name?

An African American named Crispus Attucks helped instigate an unruly protest during which he was shot and killed, along with four other protesters, by authorities on the scene.

images

The following day, eight soldiers were arrested. Two were convicted of manslaughter.

I had heard of this event and had a brief read about it somewhere in the past.

Many in the crowd threw missiles of various sorts--chunks of coal, snowballs, oyster shells, sticks--at the soldiers. Preston shouted for them to disperse. A large club-wielding man named Crispus Attucks--a forty-seven-year-old mullato--moved forward, grabbed one of the soldier's (Hugh Montgomery's) bayonets, and knocked him to the ground. Montgomery rose, shouting "Damn you, fire!" and unloading his musket in the direction of the crowd. Soon after --estimates varied from six seconds to two minutes--Montgomery shouted "Fire!", the other soldiers also began firing. A blast from the gun of Matthew Killroy hit Samuel Gray as he stood with his hands in his pockets, blowing a hole in his head "as big as a hand." From another gun, two bullets hit Crispus Attucks in the chest. As the mob moved toward the soldiers, more guns fired. Five civilians lay dying in the streets; another half dozen lay injured. The soldiers loaded their weapons and prepared to fire again when Captain Preston (according to his own statement) yelled, "Stop firing! Do not fire!"

An Account of the Boston Massacre of 1770 and Subsequent Trials

Being attacked by a mob. Hmmm. No wonder they got off murder charges. No glory in there for mob rule. It's a wonder two even got manslaughter...but political considerations I suppose. Some things never change.

Greg

I had heard of this event and had a brief read about it somewhere in the past.

Many in the crowd threw missiles of various sorts--chunks of coal, snowballs, oyster shells, sticks--at the soldiers. Preston shouted for them to disperse. A large club-wielding man named Crispus Attucks--a forty-seven-year-old mullato--moved forward, grabbed one of the soldier's (Hugh Montgomery's) bayonets, and knocked him to the ground. Montgomery rose, shouting "Damn you, fire!" and unloading his musket in the direction of the crowd. Soon after --estimates varied from six seconds to two minutes--Montgomery shouted "Fire!", the other soldiers also began firing. A blast from the gun of Matthew Killroy hit Samuel Gray as he stood with his hands in his pockets, blowing a hole in his head "as big as a hand." From another gun, two bullets hit Crispus Attucks in the chest. As the mob moved toward the soldiers, more guns fired. Five civilians lay dying in the streets; another half dozen lay injured. The soldiers loaded their weapons and prepared to fire again when Captain Preston (according to his own statement) yelled, "Stop firing! Do not fire!"

An Account of the Boston Massacre of 1770 and Subsequent Trials

Being attacked by a mob. Hmmm. No wonder they got off murder charges. No glory in there for mob rule. It's a wonder two even got manslaughter...but political considerations I suppose. Some things never change.

Greg

It was a different time, to be certain....

Might be easy to second guess now, but it's interesting to note that the 300 strong mob apparently allowed the 7 soldiers to load their muskets. That action alone should have given enough warning things could turn nasty very quickly, so either the crowd should have rushed the soldiers before they completed loading or dispersed when ordered.

Might be easy to second guess now, but it's interesting to note that the 300 strong mob apparently allowed the 7 soldiers to load their muskets. That action alone should have given enough warning things could turn nasty very quickly, so either the crowd should have rushed the soldiers before they completed loading or dispersed when ordered.

Ah, I see your location ;-)

Future President John Adams represented the British and got them aquitted

We were all British then. ;)

:rofl:

Everybody knows that.

Did you know you could save 15% or more on your car insurance by switching to Geico?

Excuse ME!!!!

My mother's side comes from French and Spanish colonial soldiers in Louisiana!!

Excuse ME!!!!

My mother's side comes from French and Spanish colonial soldiers in Louisiana!!

OK, in 1770 we were all British then...erm...in the original 13 colonies....at least...those of you who weren't Dutch or German, or Scandinavian, or African...:D

Next trivia questions:
When did FDR try to get a bill passed to help reduce the cost of government and start working toward a balanced budget?

Forum List

Back