Hiroshima....

So, who was in charge them, he or they?

And they were soon to surrender anyway. We just wanted to show off our new toys and we couldn't drop them on Tokyo, we might have killed people who mattered, so when we went more off the grid.

I pity your ignorance...we hit Hiroshima because of the war materials factories there...and we firebombed Tokyo repeatedly...you're seriously misguided....you should sue every professor you ever had.
We did firebomb Tokyo and there was nothing in either place we used nukes that mattered. That's why we used the bombs there, not Tokyo.

Wrong, dumbass

Target Selection

ww2dbaseBetween 10 and 11 May 1945, Oppenheimer led a committee which came up with a list of cities most potentially suitable as targets of atomic attacks. The committee eventually arrived at the recommendation of four targets: Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama, and Kokura.

ww2dbaseHiroshima was chosen as the first target due to its military and industrial values. As a military target, Hiroshima was a major army base that housed the headquarters of the Japanese 5th Division and the 2nd Army Headquarters. It was also an important port in southern Japan and a communications center. The mountains surrounding Hiroshima also contributed to Hiroshima being among one of the top choices among the short list of potential targets, for that the mountains might contain the destructive forces of an atomic blast in the target area, increasing the level of destruction.

Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
The funny thing about history is, the winners write it, and they always, always spin it to make themselves look better. There was no reason at all to use our new toys, we just couldn't help ourselves.

Once again you've been outed as a know nothing. You're in over your head on this one, give it up

Terrorism can work. It sure did there.

Not really....they didn't quit until we nuked Nagasaki and probably still wouldn't have quit if they'd known we only had two A-bombs.
Actually after the emperor decided to announce Japan's surrender after the Nagasaki bomb a group of military officers tried to overthrow him to prevent the surrender from being broadcast preferring to fight to the end rather than suffer in their mind the dishonor of surrender.

And they were soon to surrender anyway. We just wanted to show off our new toys and we couldn't drop them on Tokyo, we might have killed people who mattered, so when we went more off the grid.
Technically in imperial Japan during WW2 the emperor was in charge in reality the military was. The only reason he made the call for surrender was because the heads of the military could not reach an agreement on what to do half wanted to surrender half to continue fighting he was asked to break the deadlock. These are the facts accept them or ignore them I really don't care either way I will always respect ones right to be uninformed.

I pity your ignorance...we hit Hiroshima because of the war materials factories there...and we firebombed Tokyo repeatedly...you're seriously misguided....you should sue every professor you ever had.
We did firebomb Tokyo and there was nothing in either place we used nukes that mattered. That's why we used the bombs there, not Tokyo.

Wrong, dumbass

Target Selection

ww2dbaseBetween 10 and 11 May 1945, Oppenheimer led a committee which came up with a list of cities most potentially suitable as targets of atomic attacks. The committee eventually arrived at the recommendation of four targets: Kyoto, Hiroshima, Yokohama, and Kokura.

ww2dbaseHiroshima was chosen as the first target due to its military and industrial values. As a military target, Hiroshima was a major army base that housed the headquarters of the Japanese 5th Division and the 2nd Army Headquarters. It was also an important port in southern Japan and a communications center. The mountains surrounding Hiroshima also contributed to Hiroshima being among one of the top choices among the short list of potential targets, for that the mountains might contain the destructive forces of an atomic blast in the target area, increasing the level of destruction.

Atomic Bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki
The funny thing about history is, the winners write it, and they always, always spin it to make themselves look better. There was no reason at all to use our new toys, we just couldn't help ourselves.

That's Tom's prollem with the professors he wants sued, some may have not stuck to the winner's fantasized partisan version.

Not really....they didn't quit until we nuked Nagasaki and probably still wouldn't have quit if they'd known we only had two A-bombs.
Actually after the emperor decided to announce Japan's surrender after the Nagasaki bomb a group of military officers tried to overthrow him to prevent the surrender from being broadcast preferring to fight to the end rather than suffer in their mind the dishonor of surrender.

Technically in imperial Japan during WW2 the emperor was in charge in reality the military was. The only reason he made the call for surrender was because the heads of the military could not reach an agreement on what to do half wanted to surrender half to continue fighting he was asked to break the deadlock. These are the facts accept them or ignore them I really don't care either way I will always respect ones right to be uninformed.
I am anything but uninformed. Their surrender was near, and we knew it.

"uninformed" = another point of view.

I am anything but uninformed. Their surrender was near, and we knew it.

It's been fleshed out extensively, it just conflicts with what he chooses to believe.

This is the moment the city was about to be torn apart by the first nuclear weapon ever used. Notice the people standing in the foreground unaware that they were about to be incinerated:

Hiroshima_zps532z4r92.jpg

If this picture shows people about to be incinerated by the nuclear blast, then how did the camera and the film survive? The camera isn't much farther from the blast than the people in this photograph, and if those people are close enough to be incinerated, then so is the camera and the film.

Duh...this camera and the film was obviously spared by some twist of fate...it's a real picture that I found and brought here to show the fury of an atomic blast.

"uninformed" = another point of view.
Feel free to research what I have posted and see if it's inaccurate or untrue.

The Japanese were never going to willingly unconditionally surrender.
They were planning to do so, we just couldn't wait for them if we wanted to show off to the Russians.

They were planning conditional surrender.

No they were not.....they sent signals to Washington that they would withdraw from conquered territories to their borders if we stopped. After 4 years of carnage we were not about to let them off the hook.

They were planning to do so, we just couldn't wait for them if we wanted to show off to the Russians.

No they were not.....they sent signals to Washington that they would withdraw from conquered territories to their borders if we stopped. After 4 years of carnage we were not about to let them off the hook.

Yes, with the conditions of 1) No disarmament of Japanese Troops 2) No Occupation of Japan 3) No war crimes trials for Japanese Military personnel 4) retention of the Emperor. These were a no go for the allies.

In the end we gave them a conditional 4).

That's what I was getting at. We weren't going to let them off the hook.

Besides the cost in lives of an invasion, we wanted a fast surrender to stop the Russians from occupying more land. Letting them know we were not afraid to use our new toys could also have been a factor in Truman's thinking.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the all the innocent civilians who died in that war. But that really was a different time.

Besides the cost in lives of an invasion, we wanted a fast surrender to stop the Russians from occupying more land. Letting them know we were not afraid to use our new toys could also have been a factor in Truman's thinking.

Don't get me wrong I feel for the all the innocent civilians who died in that war. But that really was a different time.
That changes nothing of the fact that it was an unnecessary use of weapons of terror.

Yes, with the conditions of 1) No disarmament of Japanese Troops 2) No Occupation of Japan 3) No war crimes trials for Japanese Military personnel 4) retention of the Emperor. These were a no go for the allies.

That's the only face they were allowed to save. We even confiscated their samurai swords. There are thousands in private collections in the US. Japan is the only country that can assign true value to these swords but they have a law now that keeps those swords in country if they are brought in to be evaluated.

Correct....we decided not to hang Hirohito because it would have infuriated the Japanese people into continued resistance. Defrocking him of his supposed divinity was humiliating enough.

That changes nothing of the fact that it was an unnecessary use of weapons of terror.

Then, you must be pissed that we handed eastern europe back to russia after the war.

Forum List

Back