High Noon

Tommy Tainant

Diamond Member
Jan 20, 2016
Y Cae Ras
High Noon (1952) - IMDb

Often cited as the greatest western ever. Im not sure, it is a brilliant film though.

John Wayne saw it as Anti American, primarily because Coop threw away his badge at the end.

I dont see it as political in a partisan sense but it is political.

The town has not grown away from its wild west roots and as fear grips the community its left to one man to face the baddies.

What is interesting is the way the film peels back the layers of the town.

It all seems very straightforward at the start and they are all gong to stick together to support peace and prosperity. But half of the town doesnt want this and resents the status quo. The Mayor doesnt want a gunfight in case it deters investment and various characters have their own reasons for looking the other way. The law in the shape of the Judge departs very quickly.

I think its probably the most realistic western ever made. All of the scenes seem believable as we see Coop trying to get help. Its really about the breakdown of civilisation and very disturbing at that.

And Grace Kelly is in it.

MV5BOWIzZGUxZmItOThkMS00Y2QxLTg0MTYtMDdhMjRlNTNlYTI3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

Often cited as the greatest western ever. Im not sure, it is a brilliant film though.

John Wayne saw it as Anti American, primarily because Coop threw away his badge at the end.

The town has not grown away from its wild west roots and as fear grips the community its left to one man to face the baddies.

It all seems very straightforward at the start and they are all gong to stick together to support peace and prosperity. But half of the town doesnt want this and resents the status quo. The Mayor doesnt want a gunfight in case it deters investment and various characters have their own reasons for looking the other way. The law in the shape of the Judge departs very quickly.

I think its probably the most realistic western ever made. All of the scenes seem believable as we see Coop trying to get help. Its really about the breakdown of civilisation and very disturbing at that.

MV5BOWIzZGUxZmItOThkMS00Y2QxLTg0MTYtMDdhMjRlNTNlYTI3L2ltYWdlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjc1NTYyMjg@._V1_SY1000_CR0,0,666,1000_AL_.jpg
That was a good movie.
My favorite is actually Clint Eastwoods Unforgiven.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

One of the best westerns ever for sure. Gary Cooper was made to make movies.

Dirty Harry made in the early 1970s had echoes of High Noon in it but set in the gritty more modern big city of San Francisco. And at the end the detective throws his badge away as well.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

I've heard it was a direct hit piece against McCarthy and his goons. Standing up to political injustice.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

I've heard it was a direct hit piece against McCarthy and his goons. Standing up to political injustice.

I hadn't heard that before but I would not doubt it, Hollywood has a way of backhandedly talking truth to power.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

That was a good movie.
Unforgiven was so dark. Yeah, I got the symbolism, but certainly not the most enjoyable to watch.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

I hadn't heard that before but I would not doubt it, Hollywood has a way of backhandedly talking truth to power.
John Wayne made Rio Bravo as a response to it but I think in some ways that paints a bleaker picture. the baddies have already taken over the town in that one.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

That was a good movie.
Thats a great film but not easy to like.

High Noon is a masterpiece. Unforgiven is a great film. I was impressed with Hostiles, but it is uneven.

Godless on Netflix makes one think about what it was to live in the West.

Last edited:
High Noon (1952) - IMDb

That was a good movie.

Both good Westerns, but "Shane" was the greatest.

High noon, 633 squadron, we have impact on each other. The man in the White suit, or The lady vanishes. Good cinematography.

Last edited:
Unforgiven is a great film. I was impressed with Hostiles, but it is uneven.

Godless on Netflix makes one think about what it was to live in the West.
Had to look that one up. I dont have Netflix.

I found this but it is a very uneven listing.
50 Top-Rated Western TV Shows
I am surprised that Hell on Wheels isn't on that list. Loved that show.
As a kid I was a big fan of a show called "Lancer" and there was another one about two brothers trying to find their sister who had been kidnapped by the Sioux.I think Kurt Russell was in that one.

Unforgiven was so dark. Yeah, I got the symbolism, but certainly not the most enjoyable to watch

Thats a great film but not easy to like
True. Was a dark film, but the cinema photography was beautiful.
Couple of other favorites...
Once Upon a Time in The West.
3:10 to Yuma.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
High Plains Drifter.
I agree with them as great genre flicks. I would put the 3:10 to Yuma at the bottom of the group because of its uneven qualities.

High Noon (1952) - IMDb

That was a good movie.

Both good Westerns, but "Shane" was the greatest.
I think so.

Unforgiven was so dark. Yeah, I got the symbolism, but certainly not the most enjoyable to watch

Thats a great film but not easy to like
True. Was a dark film, but the cinema photography was beautiful.
Couple of other favorites...
Once Upon a Time in The West.
3:10 to Yuma.
Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid.
High Plains Drifter.
I agree with them as great genre flicks. I would put the 3:10 to Yuma at the bottom of the group because of its uneven qualities.
Which version ?

Forum List

Back