Here's How The Founding Fathers Ensured America Would Not Be A Christian Nation

The founders did not want doctrinal differences to wreak civic havoc of the kind then evident throughout Europe. That is why they left not only Jesus but indeed any deity out of the Constitution. That the American population was and is overwhelmingly Christian is a fact. That makes it all the more remarkable that the founders did not establish a Christian government.

The ungodliness of the Constitution kept popping up in public discourse throughout the nineteenth century, most notably when a powerful group of Protestant ministers came to Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War and demanded that he support an amendment to declare Jesus Christ, not “We the People,” the source of all governmental power. Lincoln, a canny politician who knew when not to take on another battle in the middle of a bloody civil war, declined to take any action and instead went along with a move to placate the ministers by putting “In God We Trust” on a two-penny coin in 1864. Lincoln presumably viewed the inscription of trust in a deity on a coin as an innocuous action calculated to avoid the trouble that would surely be generated by a Christian amendment to the Constitution. Little did he know that nearly 150 years in the future, right-wing politicians would employ that slogan to attack the much older motto E Pluribus Unum.

Here is how the Founding Fathers ensured America would not be a Christian nation

And just so we are clear. E. Pluribus Unum is our national motto. NOT In God We Trust.

People came to America for religious freedom. They came from a land where the state preached from the pulpit. This is why the Founders did what they did.

Here is the greatest speech of Ben Franklins life. He recognized the evils of the state mixed with religion and also realized that the end of religion would mean the end of the Republic.

Mr. President

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope, that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain french lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said "I don't know how it happens, Sister but I meet with no body but myself, that's always in the right — Il n'y a que moi qui a toujours raison."

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partizans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all the salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administred.

On the whole, Sir, I can not help expressing a wish that every member of the Convention who may still have objections to it, would with me, on this occasion doubt a little of his own infallibility, and to make manifest our unanimity, put his name to this instrument

Franklin was also constantly calling for prayers to God guide the decisions at the Constitutional Convention as well. He wasn't talking about Allah or some pagan frog 'god', either.
Franklin asked for preacher to open the Constitution meetings but they could not afford it.
At the time Europe had gone was going through a vast change of religions with Luther. Another change taking place was the ideas from the Age of Enlightenment. Those changes took longer time than we are used to today.

The founders did not want doctrinal differences to wreak civic havoc of the kind then evident throughout Europe. That is why they left not only Jesus but indeed any deity out of the Constitution. That the American population was and is overwhelmingly Christian is a fact. That makes it all the more remarkable that the founders did not establish a Christian government.

The ungodliness of the Constitution kept popping up in public discourse throughout the nineteenth century, most notably when a powerful group of Protestant ministers came to Abraham Lincoln during the Civil War and demanded that he support an amendment to declare Jesus Christ, not “We the People,” the source of all governmental power. Lincoln, a canny politician who knew when not to take on another battle in the middle of a bloody civil war, declined to take any action and instead went along with a move to placate the ministers by putting “In God We Trust” on a two-penny coin in 1864. Lincoln presumably viewed the inscription of trust in a deity on a coin as an innocuous action calculated to avoid the trouble that would surely be generated by a Christian amendment to the Constitution. Little did he know that nearly 150 years in the future, right-wing politicians would employ that slogan to attack the much older motto E Pluribus Unum.

Here is how the Founding Fathers ensured America would not be a Christian nation

And just so we are clear. E. Pluribus Unum is our national motto. NOT In God We Trust.

People came to America for religious freedom. They came from a land where the state preached from the pulpit. This is why the Founders did what they did.

Here is the greatest speech of Ben Franklins life. He recognized the evils of the state mixed with religion and also realized that the end of religion would mean the end of the Republic.

Mr. President

I confess that there are several parts of this constitution which I do not at present approve, but I am not sure I shall never approve them: For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged by better information, or fuller consideration, to change opinions even on important subjects, which I once thought right, but found to be otherwise. It is therefore that the older I grow, the more apt I am to doubt my own judgment, and to pay more respect to the judgment of others. Most men indeed as well as most sects in Religion, think themselves in possession of all truth, and that wherever others differ from them it is so far error. Steele a Protestant in a Dedication tells the Pope, that the only difference between our Churches in their opinions of the certainty of their doctrines is, the Church of Rome is infallible and the Church of England is never in the wrong. But though many private persons think almost as highly of their own infallibility as of that of their sect, few express it so naturally as a certain french lady, who in a dispute with her sister, said "I don't know how it happens, Sister but I meet with no body but myself, that's always in the right — Il n'y a que moi qui a toujours raison."

In these sentiments, Sir, I agree to this Constitution with all its faults, if they are such; because I think a general Government necessary for us, and there is no form of Government but what may be a blessing to the people if well administered, and believe farther that this is likely to be well administered for a course of years, and can only end in Despotism, as other forms have done before it, when the people shall become so corrupted as to need despotic Government, being incapable of any other. I doubt too whether any other Convention we can obtain, may be able to make a better Constitution. For when you assemble a number of men to have the advantage of their joint wisdom, you inevitably assemble with those men, all their prejudices, their passions, their errors of opinion, their local interests, and their selfish views. From such an assembly can a perfect production be expected? It therefore astonishes me, Sir, to find this system approaching so near to perfection as it does; and I think it will astonish our enemies, who are waiting with confidence to hear that our councils are confounded like those of the Builders of Babel; and that our States are on the point of separation, only to meet hereafter for the purpose of cutting one another's throats. Thus I consent, Sir, to this Constitution because I expect no better, and because I am not sure, that it is not the best. The opinions I have had of its errors, I sacrifice to the public good. I have never whispered a syllable of them abroad. Within these walls they were born, and here they shall die. If every one of us in returning to our Constituents were to report the objections he has had to it, and endeavor to gain partizans in support of them, we might prevent its being generally received, and thereby lose all the salutary effects & great advantages resulting naturally in our favor among foreign Nations as well as among ourselves, from our real or apparent unanimity. Much of the strength & efficiency of any Government in procuring and securing happiness to the people, depends, on opinion, on the general opinion of the goodness of the Government, as well as of the wisdom and integrity of its Governors. I hope therefore that for our own sakes as a part of the people, and for the sake of posterity, we shall act heartily and unanimously in recommending this Constitution (if approved by Congress & confirmed by the Conventions) wherever our influence may extend, and turn our future thoughts & endeavors to the means of having it well administred.

On the whole, Sir, I can not help expressing a wish that every member of the Convention who may still have objections to it, would with me, on this occasion doubt a little of his own infallibility, and to make manifest our unanimity, put his name to this instrument

Franklin was also constantly calling for prayers to God guide the decisions at the Constitutional Convention as well. He wasn't talking about Allah or some pagan frog 'god', either.
Franklin asked for preacher to open the Constitution meetings but they could not afford it.
At the time Europe had gone was going through a vast change of religions with Luther. Another change taking place was the ideas from the Age of Enlightenment. Those changes took longer time than we are used to today.

I'm well aware of the Reformation and Luther; those came along well over 200 years earlier than the Constitutional Convention, and while it may have seemed 'slow' the religious dissenters that settled in the U.S. were mostly 'dissenting' from the Church of England and the King, except for the Anglicans and Episcopalians, the English 'establishment' sent over to 'manage' the colonies, i.e. tax collectors, judges, military officers, etc. The First and Second Great Awakenings played a far bigger role in the Revolution and the anti-Federalists' factions than 'the Enlightenment' as far as the lower classes were concerned, and it was about money for the upper classes in nearly all cases, especially for the tobacco planters in Virginia, and for the Brits it was the economic depression of the the East Indian Company and the need for Crown revenue that led to the preposterous notion that the colonies suddenly needed to be paying their own way, especially re defense, after many decades of benign neglect. The Crown handled it rather badly, sent incompetent assholes over who only managed to make the revolutionists wildly popular and enrage even the lower classes and the rest is history.

Not as glamorous and self-serving as the popular versions, no name dropping of high minded sophists like Locke and the like, though. In real life Bolingbrokism was a far bigger influence, along with simply repudiating debts to English businessmen for the upper classes here. The first 'act of war' was the Virginia House passing a law instructing their courts to refuse suits for debt collections brought against Virginia planters.

The 1st Amendment to the Constitution ensured religious freedom for everyone. It wasn't until a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by FDR found a concept of "separation of church and state" that didn't appear in the Constitution that the democrat party's war on Christian beliefs started.
The first amendment prohibits Congress from establishing or endorsing one religion over another

And the 'Gay Rights' hoax was founded by a Communist Party member and had NAMBLA as part of it's 'Founding Faggots' groups. The 'Founder' also was a huge fan of NAMBLA, even liked to wear a " NAMBLA Walks With Me' sign in 'Pride' parades. "Progressives' love to gush over goods ole Harry, which is why your posts babbling about anything are so hilarious for the hypocrisy they represent.
Spare me the NAMBLA horseshit. The group barley exists anymore and what is left of them has nothing to do with the present day gay rights movement.

lol more blatant lying, as usual. That group will never die as long as they have faggot organizations and faggot media to advertise in. The FBI occasionally shuts them down, but the faggot 'community' keeps them coming back, especially faggot 'travel agencies'.
Bullshit!

You can never refute the facts, as usual for you. You faggots are the only 'Movement' in world history that actually felt it had to be 'fair' to your founding pedophile gangs and hold a vote on whether or not to expel them after their many decades of being a major part of your 'Rights' scam. Of course, there never would have been even that if it hadn't been for Jesse Helms screwing up your potential gravy train at the UN by forcing the serial rapist Bill Clinton to refuse to endorse the ILGA for NGO status because of your buddies from NAMBLA being such a prominent part of the whole 'movement'. So yes, we get why you hate not being able to completely censor the facts there, PeePee. You 'Progressives' loves you some of the pedophile fan Harry Hay.
Listen slick. You are the one making these absurd and bizarre allegations and asinine conspiracy theories yet you offer no evidence what so ever. The burden of proof is on the accuser. You have to be beyond stupid to think that the accused needs to prove a negative.

It's all in the public record, sicko boi, and for anyone to find; I don't need to do squat except point it out and those that want to refute it can look it all up themselves, and nobody ever come back and refuted it, including you. The ILGA plenum and the vote itself is online, as is Jesse Helm's protests, etc. Too bad you're too mentally ill to be anything but a loser shill for sicko deviants, like most 'Progressives' these days; maybe lay off the meth.

Last edited:
The 1st Amendment to the Constitution ensured religious freedom for everyone. It wasn't until a former KKK member appointed to the Supreme Court by FDR found a concept of "separation of church and state" that didn't appear in the Constitution that the democrat party's war on Christian beliefs started.
The first amendment prohibits Congress from establishing or endorsing one religion over another

In their vernacular the term 'religion' means a specific sect of Christianity, i.e. Anglican or Presbyterian, etc.. This is obvious from the fact that many of the states had state favored sects, some with taxing powers to boot. The clause only applied to the Federal government, as one would expect from a collection of states formed by different sects of religious dissenters forming a central government. This was the case for decades after the Convention, with Massachusetts being the last to vote it down, around 1833-34 or so. The deciding factor was demographic change, not Supreme Court rulings and Federal law.

Last edited:

In their vernacular the term 'religion' means a specific sect of Christianity, i.e. Anglican or Presbyterian, etc.. This is obvious from the fact that many of the states had state favored sects, some with taxing powers to boot. The clause only applied to the Federal government, as one would expect from a collection of states formed by different sects of religious dissenters forming a central government. This was the case for decades after the Convention, with Massachusetts being the last to vote it down, around 1833-34 or so. The deciding factor was demographic change, not Supreme Court rulings and Federal law.
Total Bullshit

But nice try

"E. Pluribus Unum"?...hmmm, latin, the language of christians...that little nugget aside and using the above reasoning they also ensured that English was the official language of the U.S.A. by using it in everything they did and said...uh-oh, now that that cat is out of the bag it may be time for some pretzel logic and tortured language.

Last edited:

Total Bullshit

But nice try

Totally factual, and the only facts that fit the real history. If you think it doesn't, then explain why some states kept their state endorsed and legal sects, and also explain why you think Jefferson was so concerned about the Danbury Baptists if he was such a big opponent of Da Evul Xians; also explain why Da Evul Evangelicals were voting for him if they thought he was some sort of atheist, a fiction peddled about Franklin as well. Most of their screeds are obviously anti-Catholic screeds, not ]anti-Christian' ones.

Apparently modern Mis-Education has people thinking Jefferson and Franklin were the only 'Founders' or something, and then only when they have some quote or other that suits some agenda that some want to dishonestly peddle.

Last edited:

"E. Pluribus Unum"?...hmmm, latin, the language of christians...that little nugget aside and using the above reasoning they also ensured that English was the official language of the U.S.A. by using it in everything they did and said...uh-oh, now that that cat is out of the bag it may be time for some pretzel logic and tortured language.

And though German was also a popular language as well, they didn't write ballots out in any language but English , ditto legislation and other government business.

Total Bullshit

But nice try

Total fact, and the only fact that fit the real history. If you think it doesn't, then explain why some states kept their state endorsed and legal sects, and also explain why you think Jefferson was so concerned about the Danbury Baptists if he was such a big opponent of Da Evul Xians; also explain why Da Evul Evangelicals were voting for him if they thought he was some sort of atheist, a fiction peddled about Franklin as well. Most of their screeds are obviously anti-Catholic screeds, not ]anti-Christian' ones.
If they meant to say Christians, they certainly could have put it in the Constitution

Did you read the second sentence or was it another victim of left wing suppression? What about the part where it says "the free expression thereof"? There is no concept of "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. It was a freaking invention by a former KKK member to intimidate Papists from establishing Catholic schools. Through the years the KKK democrat party expanded the fake concept to the point that jack booted thugs smashed religious icons off courthouse walls in a chilling reminder of Stalinist Russians and Maoist Chinese eliminating every reference to religion from their socialist agenda.

I'm not sure what Black allegedly being former klan has to do with anything but I will point out that Klan members consider themselves to be Christian

And the 'Gay Rights' hoax was founded by a Communist Party member and had NAMBLA as part of it's 'Founding Faggots' groups. The 'Founder' also was a huge fan of NAMBLA, even liked to wear a " NAMBLA Walks With Me' sign in 'Pride' parades. "Progressives' love to gush over goods ole Harry, which is why your posts babbling about anything are so hilarious for the hypocrisy they represent.
Spare me the NAMBLA horseshit. The group barley exists anymore and what is left of them has nothing to do with the present day gay rights movement.

lol more blatant lying, as usual. That group will never die as long as they have faggot organixzations and faggot media to advertise in. The FBI occasionally shuts them down, but the faggot 'community' keeps them coming back, especially faggot 'travel agencies'.
I think you left out a couple of faggots

Did you read the second sentence or was it another victim of left wing suppression? What about the part where it says "the free expression thereof"? There is no concept of "separation of church and state" in the Constitution. It was a freaking invention by a former KKK member to intimidate Papists from establishing Catholic schools. Through the years the KKK democrat party expanded the fake concept to the point that jack booted thugs smashed religious icons off courthouse walls in a chilling reminder of Stalinist Russians and Maoist Chinese eliminating every reference to religion from their socialist agenda.
Yea, I read it

Bunch of Bullshit

Wrong.

It was the original understanding and intent of the Framers that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits government from compelling religious observance, or codifying religious dogma into secular law, ensuring that citizens be free from compelled religious observance by the state.

Raw Story....ROFLMFAO!

Might as well source the Onion or Babylon Bee.

Wrong.

It was the original understanding and intent of the Framers that the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits government from compelling religious observance, or codifying religious dogma into secular law, ensuring that citizens be free from compelled religious observance by the state.
Wrong, bloviating windbag.....The founders were concerned with State establishment, not acknowledgement and observance.

Total Bullshit

But nice try

Total fact, and the only fact that fit the real history. If you think it doesn't, then explain why some states kept their state endorsed and legal sects, and also explain why you think Jefferson was so concerned about the Danbury Baptists if he was such a big opponent of Da Evul Xians; also explain why Da Evul Evangelicals were voting for him if they thought he was some sort of atheist, a fiction peddled about Franklin as well. Most of their screeds are obviously anti-Catholic screeds, not ]anti-Christian' ones.
If they meant to say Christians, they certainly could have put it in the Constitution

They meant the default religion; they were against the national government being controlled by a particular sect, is all; only idiots would believe they were talking about Hinduism or 'satanism' or pagan idiocy or any ridiculous cult stuff. You credulous Burb Brats just need to stay out there in suburbia and focus on your meth and porn and avoid trying to think.

Last edited:
Wrong.

Rubbish, as usual. The establishment' clause itself is a codification of religious dogma, idiot.

Thomas Helwys - Wikipedia

"Thomas Helwys (c. 1575 – c. 1616), an Englishman, was one of the joint founders, with John Smyth, of the General Baptist denomination.

In the early seventeenth century, Helwys was principal formulator of that distinctively Baptist request: that the church and the state be kept separate in matters of law, so that individuals might have a freedom of religious conscience. Thomas Helwys was an advocate of religious liberty at a time when to hold to such views could be dangerous. He died in prison as a consequence of the religious persecution of Protestant dissenters under King James I."

You don't know jack about it. According to you mentally ill nut jobs, laws should not prevent Muslims from beheading anybody they want to.

There is a reason why you left wing vermin need to be deported; you really have no place in a modern society, and your only goal is to destroy any vestige of common sense and reason in ours.

I'm not sure what Black allegedly being former klan has to do with anything but I will point out that Klan members consider themselves to be Christian

lol more blatant lying, as usual. That group will never die as long as they have faggot organixzations and faggot media to advertise in. The FBI occasionally shuts them down, but the faggot 'community' keeps them coming back, especially faggot 'travel agencies'.
I think you left out a couple of faggots

Thanks. I'll do better next time.

Forum List

Back