Here We Go: Teacher Shortages 22-23

It's not about "rules," it's about expectations and consistency.
Rules underpin good order. Good order is necessary to accomplish anything.

Any enterprise consists of the process, and the product. If the process; the educational system; is judged by the product; graduation rates, academic proficiency, etc., then there's certainly something terribly wrong with the process. Don't you agree?

Last edited:
Teachers teach according to what they are told. Same for discipline. It truly is about expectations and consistency.
The Real Reason They're Bashing Teachers' Unions

To show your compassion for the corporate bootlickers, make the failure of education to be all about UNIONS! That will give them an excuse to deport our jobs to Third World sweatshops, "because American workers are too greedy."

So you are saying that a student with a high aptitude in music should just let that go and instead memorize facts about history.
Both are necessary. Music should be introductory in K-6. Those with musical aptitude should carry on after their primary years, but history should be taught on the academic side. It isn't either/or.

Imagine thinking that every student needs history 10 months a year but not even students who are going to be musicians should be in music class daily.
What age groups are you talking about. If you are referencing K-6, I disagree. One hour of music and art a week for these is plenty. Reading, Writing, Science, History, Geography, Arithmetic, English and PE should be core in these age groups with a liberal sprinkling of penmanship. Technology should be by immersion while teaching the core in primary grades. Government, History, Life Skills, Algebra, English, Biology, and Geography should be core in jr. high/middle school with the opportunity for elective PE, Art or Music.

All things otherwise equal, given the choice of someone who is versed in history over someone who is not when applying for a job. I would choose the applicant with a knowledge of his forebears, hands down.
Same here. Having basic knowledge of our country‘s history and how our government works is a sign of an intelligent, well-educated person. I would take it as a negative if an employee didn’t even know when the Civil War was or what year we declared our Independence from England, but I wouldn’t think anything about someone who couldn’t play a musical instrument.

That reminds me….years ago, one of my employees insisted that JFK died from pneumonia. When I told her, trying to contain my shock that a college graduate didn’t know that, that he was assassinated, she was totally shocked. OTOH, if she never was in choir or could read sheet music, no biggie.

Same here. Having basic knowledge of our country‘s history and how our government works is a sign of an intelligent, well-educated person. I would take it as a negative if an employee didn’t even know when the Civil War was or what year we declared our Independence from England, but I wouldn’t think anything about someone who couldn’t play a musical instrument.

That reminds me….years ago, one of my employees insisted that JFK died from pneumonia. When I told her, trying to contain my shock that a college graduate didn’t know that, that he was assassinated, she was totally shocked. OTOH, if she never was in choir or could read sheet music, no biggie.

So do you make employees answer history questions during an interview? History is of little relevance in a high paying career.

So do you make employees answer history questions during an interview? History is of little relevance in a high paying career.
As I said, basic knowledge of our history and government is a sign of an intelligent, well-educated person. I prefer them to dumb, ignorant people.

What age groups are you talking about. If you are referencing K-6, I disagree. One hour of music and art a week for these is plenty. Reading, Writing, Science, History, Geography, Arithmetic, English and PE should be core in these age groups with a liberal sprinkling of penmanship. Technology should be by immersion while teaching the core in primary grades. Government, History, Life Skills, Algebra, English, Biology, and Geography should be core in jr. high/middle school with the opportunity for elective PE, Art or Music.

Not bad, but I laughed at penmanship. Over music? It will never happen in the backwards USA, but if we put every child in a keyboard (piano) class in the US rather than teach them cursive or whatever, watch their scores in other classes soar. I won't even bother to cite the studies; they are legion. Spatial intelligence, reading, math awareness. It's not that smart people go into music. It's that music--studying it, learning to play an instrument and read it, makes you smarter.

But we really love to see the little ones in desks sitting in rows spitting out memorized facts that they will vomit out on a test and promptly forget. This looks like "rigor" to us--a very old model that is counter to all brain research. I don't know. Old paradigms I guess.

Well as ever, if Lisa has this opinion than it is valid for all people, at all times, in all places. AMEN lol

You know what everyone does for enjoyment in Lisa's world after a long hard day of work?

oh yeah. Goes home, puts the airpods in and memorizes more historical facts and figures. To be impressive. Who needs music, after all? NO ONE

I laughed, anyway

You know what everyone does for enjoyment in Lisa's world after a long hard day of work?

oh yeah. Goes home, puts the airpods in and memorizes more historical facts and figures. To be impressive. Who needs music, after all? NO ONE

I laughed, anyway
If I had to "learn" music in school I never would have taken up the guitar, banjo, and bass. I have enjoyed playing these instruments for over sixty years, and I still can't read a note of sheet music. When I was in HS we had Band, Orchestra, and Choir. No bluegrass or rock.

Worse yet our "woodworking" class was aimed at cabinet making using hand tools, when most of us wanted to learn how to build a house. using power tools. So behind the times.

If I had to "learn" music in school I never would have taken up the guitar, banjo, and bass. I have enjoyed playing these instruments for over sixty years, and I still can't read a note of sheet music. When I was in HS we had Band, Orchestra, and Choir. No bluegrass or rock.

Worse yet our "woodworking" class was aimed at cabinet making using hand tools, when most of us wanted to learn how to build a house. using power tools. So behind the times.

Do not get me started.

Too late. You got me started.

High school marching band is fine. But not beyond fine. It's mostly a closed loop. Who pays to see marching bands perform? Would anyone miss them if they were gone? From football games? I mean maybe, but probably not. What happens is: high schoolers take band, they like it, they wanna be band teachers. So they do marching band, because it's what they know. Closed loop.

I have advocated FOR YEARS for our district to offer classes in guitar, keyboard, music production in high school. No. Why not? "It would take kids out of marching band."

YES OF COURSE IT WOULD BECAUSE THEY DON'T WANT TO PLAY IN MARCHING BAND!!!!!!!!!!!!! But they very much want to play music! Hello?

At the elementary level our students play both by ear (ukulele) and by printed music (recorder). That's really the best, when you can do both. But many, many outstanding musicians do not read music and many cultures around the world do not make it part of their practice. It's valid.

Forum List

Back