Help me to understand you all please! :)

Jolly

Rookie
Feb 4, 2006
France
Hello everyone,

I am learning English day after day... And I understand more written English than spoken one, because of my lack of practice. Which is why I have been listening to American audios and videos online and I am improving. Some accents are harder to understand than others to me.

If that is possible, I'd like you to tell me what State you live in and then give me some names of TV shows, celebrities or just websites links where I can hear your accent. :)

I hope I explained well... and that you peeps don't mind doing that for me.

Have a good day! :)

Hi, Jolly! I live in Southern Ohio. It would be difficult to tell you which tv shows have my kind of accent. My cousins in Missouri accuse me of having a country "twang," but I have heard many people with a much more pronounced Southern drawl than I have.

I remember hearing once that newspeople have to try to erase their accents when they go to work.

Good luck with learning the language. It is so impressive when someone can communicate in more than one language.

I live in Colorado where we have a very boring accent that can be found on most news shows and announcer's schools....

When we travel outside the US most people think we are from Canada, but we don't use the 'eh' that the Canadians do.

I live in Alaska and nobody has much of an accent. Except for the natives, they tend to have a lot of L in their speach.

I live in Tennessee. There is something called a Southern Accent that is nomal throughout the southern states of the United States.

I don't have one though. I was born in California where they don't necessarily have their own accident..but do have their own words.

If you want a good laugh, listen to Jeff Foxworthy. He is a comedian who talks about somethin called a "redneck." That is a term for certain people who live in the south. Usually under-educated people.

Looks like two years in a row for Lyon!

Where do you think Henry will end up?

Thank you all for the replies! :) I have learned a little more thanks to you! :)

Jeff Foxworthy? OK I'll look for audio/video about him, thank you! :)

Mom4, it isn't very hard to learn a language... Practice is the secret! :D

I have found this website :

http://www.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/usa.htm

I enjoy it a lot, there are many accents! If you listen to the "Ohio3" file, please tell me if you understand easily all what he's saying... because that is probably the sound file I understand the least... And I WANT to understand Ohioan accent...

New York and New Jersey accents are easier to understand for me so far!

If you guys ever find another link like that, don't hesitate to share it with me, okie dokie? :D

Thank you all and feel free to tell me more about your accent, your expressions, anything... I am just impatient to discover more! :D

GotZoom said:
I was born in California where they don't necessarily have their own accident..but do have their own words.

Their own "accident"? Is that what you call a ... Freudian slip? :p :D

Jolly said:
Their own "accident"? Is that what you call a ... Freudian slip? :p :D

Geez..no kidding.

Fingers got ahead of me. That is what I get for typing the word "accent" and talking to someone on the phone about an "accident" at the same time!

GotZoom said:
Geez..no kidding.

Fingers got ahead of me. That is what I get for typing the word "accent" and talking to someone on the phone about an "accident" at the same time!

LOL I wasn't laughing at you, those things happen to me too! :D :) You were talking on the phone about an accident? Hope this accident is nothing major!?

Jolly said:
Hello everyone,

I am learning English day after day... And I understand more written English than spoken one, because of my lack of practice. Which is why I have been listening to American audios and videos online and I am improving. Some accents are harder to understand than others to me.

If that is possible, I'd like you to tell me what State you live in and then give me some names of TV shows, celebrities or just websites links where I can hear your accent. :)

Why don't you start by telling us who you are and where you're at?

Jolly said:
LOL I wasn't laughing at you, those things happen to me too! :D :) You were talking on the phone about an accident? Hope this accident is nothing major!?

No worries. And the accident was just something on the news.

Jolly said:
Thank you all for the replies! :) I have learned a little more thanks to you! :)

Jeff Foxworthy? OK I'll look for audio/video about him, thank you! :)

Mom4, it isn't very hard to learn a language... Practice is the secret! :D

I have found this website :

http://www.ku.edu/~idea/northamerica/usa/usa.htm

I enjoy it a lot, there are many accents! If you listen to the "Ohio3" file, please tell me if you understand easily all what he's saying... because that is probably the sound file I understand the least... And I WANT to understand Ohioan accent...

New York and New Jersey accents are easier to understand for me so far!

If you guys ever find another link like that, don't hesitate to share it with me, okie dokie? :D

Thank you all and feel free to tell me more about your accent, your expressions, anything... I am just impatient to discover more! :D

I love studying languages. In this life I have learned Russian, American Sign Language, as well, of course, as my native language of bland english....

Next languages for me to go at is going to be Arabic and Spanish...

Jolly said:
I had trouble understanding the Ohio3 guy. I don't think it was the accent; I think that guy just mumbled.

Ohio6 was hilarious! Very familiar, from my college days! Ohio5 is probably closest to my own accent, although I probably do drawl a little more than that guy did. (And my voice has a higher pitch, too!)

Keep working on it, Jolly. I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time!

Pale Rider said:
Why don't you start by telling us who you are and where you're at?

Because I did introduce myself some months ago and because that was not the topic of this thread and that nobody asked me before.

GotZoom said:
No worries. And the accident was just something on the news.

Oh OK! :)

no1tovote4 said:
I love studying languages. In this life I have learned Russian, American Sign Language, as well, of course, as my native language of bland english....

Next languages for me to go at is going to be Arabic and Spanish...

Oh wow! I am impressed!!! :) I know a little of Spanish and German, but am losing it all because of my lack of practice. :( Wish you all the best with your language studies! :) You can be very proud of you!

no1tovote4 said:
Oh, and Jolly... Where are you from? Which is your native language?

I am from France and my native language is French. :)

mom4 said:
I had trouble understanding the Ohio3 guy. I don't think it was the accent; I think that guy just mumbled.

Ohio6 was hilarious! Very familiar, from my college days! Ohio5 is probably closest to my own accent, although I probably do drawl a little more than that guy did. (And my voice has a higher pitch, too!)

Keep working on it, Jolly. I'm sure you'll pick it up in no time!

Oh great! Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about the Ohio3 guy! :D Ohio5 is easier to understand... does the man speak slowly or normally, btw?

Thank you so much for your kindness and your encouragement... that is all very much needed and appreciated! :) You're a very friendly person! :)

Jolly said:
Oh great! Thanks for letting us know your thoughts about the Ohio3 guy! :D Ohio5 is easier to understand... does the man speak slowly or normally, btw?

Thank you so much for your kindness and your encouragement... that is all very much needed and appreciated! :) You're a very friendly person! :)
Thank you, Jolly! You seem very friendly, yourself.

The Ohio5 guy is speaking slowly, probably bc he is reading as opposed to having a convresation. But, I don't know if this is bc I live in a rural area or not, people do "drawl" a little out here. And some people take long pauses in their conversation. I usually have too much to say to pause for very long! But, many people out here pause and nod between ideas. They may also throw in a "mmmmhmm" or an "I don't know" which don't really mean anything; they are just ways of filling up the silence until you have another idea to express.

Jolly said:
Hello everyone,

My brother in law is from Finland and the accent he's having a hard time with is Kansas/Oklahoma, he hasn't even tried the south yet.

Don't worry about trying to understand all the different accents, many in the North have a hard time with southern accents. I have a hard time understanding some of my husbands relatives from West Virginia, I've had to ask people in Georgia to repeat themselves also.

Jolly said:
I am from France and my native language is French. :)

LOL (That's "laugh out loud" if you didn't know that already...) I had heard that all the little kids in France were geniuses... You see, they can all speak French!

:D

GotZoom said:
I live in Tennessee. <b>There is something called a Southern Accent that is nomal throughout the southern states of the United States.</b>

<b>I don't have one though. I was born in California where they don't necessarily have their own accent..but do have their own words.</b>

If you want a good laugh, listen to Jeff Foxworthy. He is a comedian who talks about somethin called a "redneck." That is a term for certain people who live in the south. Usually under-educated people.

Looks like two years in a row for Lyon!

Where do you think Henry will end up?

Yes you do. It's just not as pronounced.

Forum List

Back