Health Insurers Raise Rates Because of Obamacare

President Barack Obama’s top health official on Thursday warned the insurance industry that the administration won’t tolerate blaming premium hikes on the new health overhaul law.

“There will be zero tolerance for this type of misinformation and unjustified rate increases,” Health and Human Services Secretary Kathleen Sebelius said in a letter to the insurance lobby.

“Simply stated, we will not stand idly by as insurers blame their premium hikes and increased profits on the requirement that they provide consumers with basic protections,” Sebelius said. She warned that bad actors may be excluded from new health insurance markets that will open in 2014 under the law. They’d lose out on a big pool of customers, as many as 30 million people nationwide.

Hot Air Sebelius: insurers who criticize ObamaCare may get locked out of system

Criticize the government and they will put you out of business. Unbelievable.

Great, another example of government rule through Fear, Threats & Intimidation?
Sounds just like what our schools and other sources told us about many years ago that other countries did, they were condemned, for using the same tactics as our government is using now. Yes the "America of Change", it certainly has.

How much "misinformation" has been spread by the "bad actors" in the WH? How many "bad actors" in Congress STILL haven't read the bill? Maybe they should be held to the same standard.

Drain the swamp.

i don't know how ANYONE with a brain that is working, can take the health insurance company's word that it is ''obama care'' that has made them raise their prices 3% in 2010? Just analyzing the chart of their increases in premium prices for the past 10 years can clearly see that they have raised their prices EVERY SINGLE YEAR....did obama care make them go up the past 10 yrs?

you are being fooled by their propaganda....

and the person in rabbi's example said her prices went up 50% because of Obama care, do you really believe this?

sheesh...

What's the difference between believing them and their propaganda and trusting government and their propaganda?:eusa_eh:

i don't know how ANYONE with a brain that is working, can take the health insurance company's word that it is ''obama care'' that has made them raise their prices 3% in 2010? Just analyzing the chart of their increases in premium prices for the past 10 years can clearly see that they have raised their prices EVERY SINGLE YEAR....did obama care make them go up the past 10 yrs?

and the person in rabbi's example said her prices went up 50% because of Obama care, do you really believe this?

sheesh...

What's the difference between believing them and their propaganda and trusting government and their propaganda?:eusa_eh:

You can appeal to the government for redress in the case of corporation issues.

sheesh...

You can sue corporations, corporations can't force you to do business with them, they can't seize your property ,they can't throw you in prison for not paying premiums.

I trust neither but I damn sure not going to trust something that can literally snuff my life out for whatever it deems criminal behavior.

You can sue corporations, corporations can't force you to do business with them, they can't seize your property ,they can't throw you in prison for not paying premiums.

I trust neither but I damn sure not going to trust something that can literally snuff my life out for whatever it deems criminal behavior.

So you understand my point you just missed that I am on your side.

sheesh...

I'm waiting for you to explain how when we guarantee insurance to 30 million MORE people, 26 year old children, no pre existing conditions, and no limits on coverage how our rates would NOT GO UP. How does that happen doyathink? YOU Democrats just sprinkle a little Fairy dust?

It's all about da hope willow. They "hoped" it would pay for itself. Wouldn't it be a wonderful thing if all our bills were "paid by themselves"? :cuckoo:

It looks like their dream turned into a nightmare.

Health Insurers Raise Rates Because of Obamacare

Yeah, because like before Obama came along with his plan, heath care rates weren't going up at all, were they?

sheesh...

I'm waiting for you to explain how when we guarantee insurance to 30 million MORE people, 26 year old children, no pre existing conditions, and no limits on coverage how our rates would NOT GO UP. How does that happen doyathink? YOU Democrats just sprinkle a little Fairy dust?
It happens by selling more....the insurance companies will get 25 million more customers....most of them are young and healthy, who normally would not even buy insurance....only some or few are the ones that are sick, and actually needing it.

With the added millions of individual policies, they are taking in more gross (margin) dollars/money than with fewer policy holders, in which only SOME of it is needed to pay for the changes in policies required of them, by the new legislation...they come out billions upon billions ahead of the game.

This is a tactic used in business all the time...we are always trying to sell more, so we make more.

Only the insurance companies don't even have to try to sell more policies, or even spend any marketing money on it, or even compete to do it....because Congress handed it to them on a silver platter with their rule that health insurance is mandatory.

Care

sheesh...

It happens by selling more....the insurance companies will get 25 million more customers....most of them are young and healthy, who normally would not even buy insurance....only some or few are the ones that are sick, and actually needing it.

With the added millions of individual policies, they are taking in more gross (margin) dollars/money than with fewer policy holders, in which only SOME of it is needed to pay for the changes in policies required of them, by the new legislation...they come out billions upon billions ahead of the game.

This is a tactic used in business all the time...we are always trying to sell more, so we make more.

Only the insurance companies don't even have to try to sell more policies, or even spend any marketing money on it, or even compete to do it....because Congress handed it to them on a silver platter with their rule that health insurance is mandatory.

Care

I have a rough analogy. The EPA recently passed new laws regarding work being done on homes with lead paint and MA has taken over enforcement of these laws. As a small business owner in construction I have to pay for the new Certificates, training, and added costs of following stringent guidelines which increase costs both for materials and time. Some clients are not happy but I'm providing them paperwork for every single additional cost including receipts for additional materials.
(ironically, it's the wealthy clients that are bitching more. When I say "wealthy" I mean $8-$10 million dollar estates where they drive convertible Bentleys)

Does anyone here think Health Care insurance companies are willing to be as transparent to justify their increased premiums?

sheesh...

Neither the Insurance Corporations or the Government should ever be trusted at face value, both need to be scrutinized, and what they are saying should not be trusted until you do some research yourself to see if they are BSing you...sometimes they are telling the truth, and sometimes they are not, like I said it's up to you or up to us, to discern this....

It is just as wrong to say that you don't ever trust them and know they are lying as it is to say you do trust them all of the time.

We have to get off our rear ends and do the leg work it takes, to figure it out...

With this thread op, I read the link for the person complaining and the health care company claims on earlier articles, and asked myself..."How can I verify this?" and thought, "if I found out how much they had been increasing insurance every year before Obama Care passed, it could give me a good idea of whether they were telling the truth or not." I found the chart that I posted above showing their increases each year for the past 10 years and that gave me my answer....

I am also a business person, and know what we do to increase business and how important it is to increase sales...not just for what I said in my previous post, but for other reasons as well...which make a company more profitable...by reducing the percentage of the cost of the company's overhead due to the increased volume.

I also know what we spent on marketing/advertising to increase our sales and the time we spent on analyzing our competition to out price them or out service them, in order to capture more of the market... so to increase our sales.... and KNOW that the Insurance companies will not be spending the kind of money on marketing or meeting or beating their competition that we had to spend to capture more of the market, because they are just being HANDED 25-30 million more policies, due to the mandate....no need to spend the marketing money etc. to increase their sales.

Care

The insurance companies don't want these "sales". It would be the equivalent of aggressively seeking to buy 100 slowpay accounts or getting a notice from the government you needed to do a recall on 500,000 sales items.

sl

i disagree

it is almost always advantageous to increase sales....

They want those customers, they were behind it 100%.... the Mandate was what they wanted and they wanted it without competition, without the public option...or coop option..

sl

i disagree

it is almost always advantageous to increase sales....

They want those customers, they were behind it 100%.... the Mandate was what they wanted and they wanted it without competition, without the public option...or coop option..

Disagreement is your perogative. I reject almost all initial offers on car sales. In the end probably accepting less than a third of final offers. You simply have to maximize your profits and limit your losses. If the government tried to force me to take on 100 late model cars with leaking head gaskets, I'd have to close the doors. Simply to much risk.

Care

IOW, this is yet another transfer of income from the relatively less well off young to the relatively more well off elderly - done by forcing the young to overpay for something they neither want nor need.

Forum List

Back