Head Start Works

By quite a bit.

It was launched in 1965.

And only lazy parents who won't teach their children at home send their kids there.

Naw, it acts as daycare for the poor.....for at risk children, it's immensely beneficial, as it gets them out of the hell holes they otherwise spend their time in.

My younger kids attended head start on the reservation. You balance the good of the program (and it was a great program) with the negative influence of children whose home lives are literally a nightmare.

I was being sarcastic.
My son went one semester at the head start at my school. He only went the four hours I was in school. My parents watch him while I work.
Now he attends pre school at the public school.
And he was around much worse kids at the private daycare I sent him to before that.
QW made a stupid statement, because he has no idea what the real world is like.

I thought the whole head start hullaballoo was about the proposition that it become mandatory for all?

My son test below average in most skills for a 4yr old and we got him into head start! Now at 7 and finishing up first grade he tests above average in math, reading (yep he reads at a 2nd grade level), reading comprehension and in social skills! Early childhood education works!

Cutting there is well, an uneducated move! Cut from the elephant in the room - the highway robbery unfunded teacher pensions (move them to individual retirement plans aka 401k and IRA).

Head Start works! I say expand it. President Obama is right on this one!

actually it doesn't , any net effect is gone by 3-4th grade, Obamas own Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) found this to be so, sorry.

DHHS 2011 study

A 2011 report by the Department of Health and Human Services, Head Start Impact, examined the cognitive development, social-emotional development, and physical health outcomes of Head Start students as compared to a control group that attended private preschool or stayed home with a caregiver. Head Start students were split into two distinct cohorts – 3-year-olds with two years of Head Start before kindergarten, and 4-year-olds with only one year of Head Start before kindergarten. The study found:

Though the program had a “positive impact” on children’s experiences through the preschool years, “advantages children gained during their Head Start and age 4 years yielded only a few statistically significant differences in outcomes at the end of 1st grade for the sample as a whole. Impacts at the end of kindergarten were scattered…”
After first grade, there were no significant social-emotional impacts for the cohort of 4-year-olds, and mixed results on measures of shyness, social withdrawal and problematic student-teacher interactions. The cohort of 3-year-olds with two years of Head Start attendance, however, manifested less hyperactive behaviors and more positive relationships with parents.
By the end of first grade, only “a single cognitive impact was found for each cohort.” Compared to students in the control group, the 4-year-old Head Start cohort did “significantly better” on vocabulary and the 3-year-old cohort tested better in oral comprehension.

The study concludes, "Head Start has benefits for both 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds in the cognitive, health, and parenting domains, and for 3-year-olds in the social-emotional domain. However, the benefits of access to Head Start at age four are largely absent by 1st grade for the program population as a whole. For 3-year-olds, there are few sustained benefits, although access to the program may lead to improved parent-child relationships through 1st grade, a potentially important finding for children’s longer term development.”[11]

My son test below average in most skills for a 4yr old and we got him into head start! Now at 7 and finishing up first grade he tests above average in math, reading (yep he reads at a 2nd grade level), reading comprehension and in social skills! Early childhood education works!

Cutting there is well, an uneducated move! Cut from the elephant in the room - the highway robbery unfunded teacher pensions (move them to individual retirement plans aka 401k and IRA).

actually it doesn't , any net effect is gone by 3-4th grade, Obamas own Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) found this to be so, sorry.

DHHS 2011 study

A 2011 report by the Department of Health and Human Services, Head Start Impact, examined the cognitive development, social-emotional development, and physical health outcomes of Head Start students as compared to a control group that attended private preschool or stayed home with a caregiver. Head Start students were split into two distinct cohorts – 3-year-olds with two years of Head Start before kindergarten, and 4-year-olds with only one year of Head Start before kindergarten. The study found:

Though the program had a “positive impact” on children’s experiences through the preschool years, “advantages children gained during their Head Start and age 4 years yielded only a few statistically significant differences in outcomes at the end of 1st grade for the sample as a whole. Impacts at the end of kindergarten were scattered…”
After first grade, there were no significant social-emotional impacts for the cohort of 4-year-olds, and mixed results on measures of shyness, social withdrawal and problematic student-teacher interactions. The cohort of 3-year-olds with two years of Head Start attendance, however, manifested less hyperactive behaviors and more positive relationships with parents.
By the end of first grade, only “a single cognitive impact was found for each cohort.” Compared to students in the control group, the 4-year-old Head Start cohort did “significantly better” on vocabulary and the 3-year-old cohort tested better in oral comprehension.

The study concludes, "Head Start has benefits for both 3-year-olds and 4-year-olds in the cognitive, health, and parenting domains, and for 3-year-olds in the social-emotional domain. However, the benefits of access to Head Start at age four are largely absent by 1st grade for the program population as a whole. For 3-year-olds, there are few sustained benefits, although access to the program may lead to improved parent-child relationships through 1st grade, a potentially important finding for children’s longer term development.”[11]

Says more about economic back ground and the education they receive, then the head start program.

Liberals may SAY Head Start works. They may WANT it to work very badly.

The reality is that Head Start has been a massive failure and waste of money.

Liberals may SAY Head Start works. They may WANT it to work very badly.

The reality is that Head Start has been a massive failure and waste of money.

I think I am far from a liberal, but I can say head start helps. However, if my wife didn't work with my son, it would have been moot!

Expanding the failed head start program just starts indoctrination at a younger age. There isn't much difference between obama's plans and the way Cuba removes children from their families to raise according to what the government wants.

Are you serious with this post? Head Start is an Obama indoctrination program?:confused:

Ever notice that "indoctination" has become the favorite buzzword of the far right?

ever notice that " racism" has been the favorite buzzword of the far left for quite some time?

Are you serious with this post? Head Start is an Obama indoctrination program?:confused:

Ever notice that "indoctination" has become the favorite buzzword of the far right?

ever notice that " racism" has been the favorite buzzword of the far left for quite some time?

Racism; it's very existance and it's results, are provable facts that have been documented through our nation's history..

"Indoctrination" is simply emotional rhetoric intended to inflame a certain voting bloc.

Expanding the failed head start program just starts indoctrination at a younger age. There isn't much difference between obama's plans and the way Cuba removes children from their families to raise according to what the government wants.

This doesn't sound like any Head Start I checked out having been a pre school owner at one time. Their program is similar to private pre schools and do a good service to the community. As far as Obama and Cuba? I don't know where you get this stuff from.

This doesn't sound like any Head Start I checked out having been a pre school owner at one time. Their program is similar to private pre schools and do a good service to the community. As far as Obama and Cuba? I don't know where you get this stuff from.

I forgot to add that Head Start allows some single parents to work during hours of school, which may not have been possible otherwise.

LOL You had him TESTED at four? Why?

Are you saying he wouldn't have had academic growth without Head Start? Do you know that some children just develop and mature at different paces?

Thank God you labeled him as slow at an early age though. :clap2:

there are probably cheaper ways to expose at-risk preschoolers to middle class values and education styles.

LOL, you speak, but you don't understand head start. It has nothing to do with at-risk. It means children that need an early start in their education to get up to pace with other children!

Parenting is so antiquated.

We need a government program!

DHHS 2011 study

Says more about economic back ground and the education they receive, then the head start program.

:eusa_eh:how so?

so does it work or not? doesn't appear so.

in any event, we already have a safety net and free education, and nonsensical restrictions on vouchers charter schools etc.

DHHS 2011 study

You do understand that Head Start is supposed to help students from poor economic backgrounds, don't you?

PRE School.

Meaning, before school.

She is a babysitter.

Or does it require a credential now?

It's required in California. Early childhood education is one of the classes.

What is required?

Been a couple decades but. from what I remember a Director has something like 16 or 20 units in early childhood units and just to to work in the school I think it was 6 units. Also fingerpring background check and a tuberculosis test. Usually these are low pay jobs around our just above minimum wage. It's also a pain working with the State. Most of the those in State licensing are unreasonable and not very bright. I was just the owner of Building and property. I didn't run the operation but had to be the one with the license so I had to deal with the State. After a few years I sold out and bought into apartments.

I didn't read any reports on the effectiveness of Head Start but I know that pre school is a big help in preparing children for grade school and the Head Start I knew did basically what a pre school did. Many families can't afford pre schools so Head Start in my opinion is a positive thing and it also allows parents to work that can't afford a baby sitter. Depends on what you measure as success. Children learning to get along with others is where it helps greatly and it's pretty hard to measure something like that. Also freeing up parents to work is a positive thing and this is something that probably studies can't measure.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back