Head Start Works

Head Start= The most expensive babysitting program which has ever existed.

Frist, I want to say that no government program alone is going to do everything. The parents have to step in, help out and continue the progress or all the gains made through the program will be lost. My wife works with him everyday on his reading, math, science and history. Right now he is testing above average in all subjects. He is only in 1st grade, so we shall see.

I think most of the time the program fails, because all the gains made in the program are lost when it ends, because many parents don't want to be parents and don't pick up where head start leaves off!

Then you agree, we should just end all these idiotic government programs aimed at children and encourage neighborhoods to step in and nurture the children.

Ever wonder why kids who attend Catholic School their entire lives do better than kids who go through public schools? Do you think the fact that Catholic communities tend to see children as a joint responsibility might have a bearing on that?

Private schools usually always have a better track record, but let's face it if private schools were the only option, then like college most wouldn't go.

Public education is a must. So figure out the flaws.
(1) Pensions: 60% of the property taxes in Cook county, IL (largest county in IL) goes to the unfunded pension payments to retired teachers. That means 40% goes to REAL education and other services. These pension obligations are huge. Just imagine if that 60% actually went to bettering our schools and to glup lowering the already bloated property taxes.

(2) Tenure:
There is not ONE good argument for tenure. Not one. It keeps to many horrendous teachers in school!

(3) No school choice:

(4) No year long classes. Sorry, but the summer should be fun, but it's valuable time that our children forget what they learned and take too long to get back into the swing of things. China and India go year long and guess who is producing more scientists and engineers!

(5) Class size: It needs to be lowered, but not until pensions are done away with.

(6) Free healthcare: I don't get free healthcare, why should they.

(7) Starting school at age 5: Honestly all kids should be in some time of school at age 3!

Many things go into fixing our educational system, but doing away with public schools isn't the answer!

Parents should take responsibility for education their pre-schoolers. Not rocket science. Mine did... but they also had the good sense to ensure their kids got a Catholic school education. I learned the skill of critical thinking at that school - long before it became a buzzword. The first words I saw every morning were 'Question, with boldness, even the very existence of God'. Yea, in a Catholic school - shocking!

I suggest everyone who supports Head Start read the government study I linked to, and stop pretending the government is the answer.

You obviously have never sent a child to head start.
Well I did, and they were very helpful while I was in school. It was also very helpful due to the fact my son's therapists could come there so he didn't have to leave school. Plus they were ten times better than the Christian day care I had him in before.
Oh! And I also had to pay a good amount of money to have him there.

Then you agree, we should just end all these idiotic government programs aimed at children and encourage neighborhoods to step in and nurture the children.

Ever wonder why kids who attend Catholic School their entire lives do better than kids who go through public schools? Do you think the fact that Catholic communities tend to see children as a joint responsibility might have a bearing on that?

Private schools usually always have a better track record, but let's face it if private schools were the only option, then like college most wouldn't go.

Public education is a must. So figure out the flaws.
(1) Pensions: 60% of the property taxes in Cook county, IL (largest county in IL) goes to the unfunded pension payments to retired teachers. That means 40% goes to REAL education and other services. These pension obligations are huge. Just imagine if that 60% actually went to bettering our schools and to glup lowering the already bloated property taxes.

(2) Tenure:
There is not ONE good argument for tenure. Not one. It keeps to many horrendous teachers in school!

(3) No school choice:

(4) No year long classes. Sorry, but the summer should be fun, but it's valuable time that our children forget what they learned and take too long to get back into the swing of things. China and India go year long and guess who is producing more scientists and engineers!

(5) Class size: It needs to be lowered, but not until pensions are done away with.

(6) Free healthcare: I don't get free healthcare, why should they.

(7) Starting school at age 5: Honestly all kids should be in some time of school at age 3!

Many things go into fixing our educational system, but doing away with public schools isn't the answer!

Parents should take responsibility for education their pre-schoolers. Not rocket science. Mine did... but they also had the good sense to ensure their kids got a Catholic school education. I learned the skill of critical thinking at that school - long before it became a buzzword. The first words I saw every morning were 'Question, with boldness, even the very existence of God'. Yea, in a Catholic school - shocking!

Dshs will pay for your child to attend catholic school through kindergarten if you qualify.

I suggest everyone who supports Head Start read the government study I linked to, and stop pretending the government is the answer.

Well I did, and they were very helpful while I was in school. It was also very helpful due to the fact my son's therapists could come there so he didn't have to leave school. Plus they were ten times better than the Christian day care I had him in before.

You obviously did not read the government report.

Well, I did, and it clearly shows that Head Start's benefits are temporary. As for your son, can you explain why the school should be providing therapists for him in the first place? Shouldn't that be part of your medical insurance coverage and not come out of public tax dollars?

Well, I did, and it clearly shows that Head Start's benefits are temporary. As for your son, can you explain why the school should be providing therapists for him in the first place? Shouldn't that be part of your medical insurance coverage and not come out of public tax dollars?

It said was suggested, nothing certain.
And I saw the benefits first hand.
The school didn't provide therapists, the Guild School he had attended before. But they couldn't have done so at a normal day care. And it is none of your business how it was paid for.
He now attends public school where he has a few therapists, gotta problem with that?
It must be nice to be single and judge others situation. You do it all the time. I feel sad for you.

The school didn't provide therapists, the Guild School he had attended before. But they couldn't have done so at a normal day care. And it is none of your business how it was paid for.
He now attends public school where he has a few therapists, gotta problem with that?
It must be nice to be single and judge others situation. You do it all the time. I feel sad for you.

It is a government report that was issued intended to prove that Head Start is effective, yet it concluded exactly the opposite. You can cling to the language that was intended to protect the asses of the bureaucrats all day long, it won't change the fact that Head Start is not working as intended.

By the way, anything that is paid for by taxes is my business.

It is a government report that was issued intended to prove that Head Start is effective, yet it concluded exactly the opposite. You can cling to the language that was intended to protect the asses of the bureaucrats all day long, it won't change the fact that Head Start is not working as intended.

Well everyone I know speaks highly, and read the language of your quote moron.
My child's education, therapy etc is none of your business or how I pay for it. The fact you even asked shows what type of person you are.

" there was suggestive evidence" so pretty much your study isn't conclusive.
Plus I highly doubt it brought in other factors.
Do you believe every study you read? The government also stated that marijuana killed brain cells, of course that were starving the monkeys of oxygen.
I thought you didn't believe everything the government told you?

nope there is not.

It pays off highly in money too if you would read the facts.

WHY do you refute the facts?

Did you say 'read the facts'?

"The Department of Health and Human Services has been sitting on an evaluation of the Head Start government run pre-school program. The study found virtually no lasting effects on participants.
The study used a gold-standard, random assignment design and had a very large nationally representative sample. For students who were randomly assigned to Head Start or not at the age of 4:
The researchers collected 41 measures of lasting cognitive effects; of those 41 measures, only one was significant and positive while the remaining 40 showed no statistically significant difference.
The one significant effect was for receptive vocabulary, which showed no significant advantage for Head Start students after kindergarten but somehow re-emerged at the end of 1st grade.
For students randomly assigned to Head Start or not at the age of 3:
The researchers also collected 41 measures of lasting cognitive effects; this time they found two statistically significant positive effects and one statistically significant negative effect.
Again, 38 of the 41 measures of lasting effects showed no difference and the few significant effects, which could be produced by chance, showed mixed results.
It is safe to say from this very rigorous evaluation that Head Start had no lasting effect on the academic preparation of students, says Jay Greene, a professor of education reform at the University of Arkansas and a senior fellow at the Manhattan Institute.
The long and short of it is that the government runs an enormously expensive pre-school program that has made basically no difference for the students who participate in it. And folks are proposing that we expand government pre-school to include all students, says Greene."
Head Start Impact Study: Final Report, Executive Summary | Office of Planning, Research & Evaluation | Administration for Children and Families

My child's education, therapy etc is none of your business or how I pay for it. The fact you even asked shows what type of person you are.

"Everyone I know speaks highly" is not an argument.

If you use tax funds to pay for anything, which you obviously do if your therapist is employed by the school, it is my business. If you do not like it being my business stop taking government money.

I dont know about head start but I can say that education was the ONLY chance my kids had to become successful and acheive a high paying job. Some seem to think that there needs to be a blue collar lower paying work force. I totally and utterly disagree. We need not encourage people to work in dirty dingy factories for pittance wages for their entire lives. That is truly a SAD PATHETIC and frankly ANTI AMERICAN way of looking at things.

"Everyone I know speaks highly" is not an argument.

If you use tax funds to pay for anything, which you obviously do if your therapist is employed by the school, it is my business. If you do not like it being my business stop taking government money.
My son actually has three therapist, they are a physical, occupational, and speech therapist.
So in your mind anyone who has their child in a special education program they should thank you? And it is some how your business? My son will have to have some form of specialized education for at least the next few years and has needed it since before he was two. I will keep you very informed since you feel it is your business. I would also like you to go to your local public school and ask every parent of a special Ed student exactly everything they use at the school since you feel it is your business.

I think this is pretty much a new low for you. The fact you think I owe you anything because my child is in a special program is probably one of the biggest asshole things I have ever heard on here.

Forum List

Back