Head Start Works

GHook93

Aristotle
Apr 22, 2007
Chicago
My son test below average in most skills for a 4yr old and we got him into head start! Now at 7 and finishing up first grade he tests above average in math, reading (yep he reads at a 2nd grade level), reading comprehension and in social skills! Early childhood education works!

Cutting there is well, an uneducated move! Cut from the elephant in the room - the highway robbery unfunded teacher pensions (move them to individual retirement plans aka 401k and IRA).

Head Start works! I say expand it. President Obama is right on this one!

My son started head start last year. He hates it(lol), but I can already see a difference. It really is a good thing, IMO

there are probably cheaper ways to expose at-risk preschoolers to middle class values and education styles.

nope there is not.

It pays off highly in money too if you would read the facts.

WHY do you refute the facts?

The mission statement of H.S. isn't even about education. 1. Foster stable family relationships 2. Enhance children's physical and emotional well being 3. Establish an environment to develop (strong) cognitive skills. The dirty little secret is that "Head Start" was established to shore up LBJ's failed "war on poverty" that tore Black families apart. HS would be the government substitute parent, a source of nutritional meals and a baby sitter for a year or two. A program like Head Start is an admission that other government programs are failures.

there are probably cheaper ways to expose at-risk preschoolers to middle class values and education styles.

LOL, you speak, but you don't understand head start. It has nothing to do with at-risk. It means children that need an early start in their education to get up to pace with other children!

Correct. Today's Head Start is nothing like yesteryear's. 3 year olds learn language and pre-reading skills, 4 year olds learn what kindergartners used to. The school curriculum has been pushed downwards and loads of 4 year olds need pre-K in order to not fall behind.

Every child can benefit from Head Start or pre-K.

Regards from Rosie

My son test below average in most skills for a 4yr old and we got him into head start! Now at 7 and finishing up first grade he tests above average in math, reading (yep he reads at a 2nd grade level), reading comprehension and in social skills! Early childhood education works!

Cutting there is well, an uneducated move! Cut from the elephant in the room - the highway robbery unfunded teacher pensions (move them to individual retirement plans aka 401k and IRA).

According to government studies sponsored by the DHHS he will be lose all of that by third grade. I suggest you chose to do something to prevent that by taking responsibility for your child yourself.

At the end of 3rd grade, there was suggestive evidence of an unfavorable impact—the parents of the Head Start group children reported a significantly lower child grade promotion rate than the parents of the non-Head Start group children.

http://www.acf.hhs.gov/sites/default/files/opre/hs_impact_study_final.pdf

I suggest everyone who supports Head Start read the government study I linked to, and stop pretending the government is the answer.

LOL, you speak, but you don't understand head start. It has nothing to do with at-risk. It means children that need an early start in their education to get up to pace with other children!

good grief! what do you think at-risk means?

did you read QW's link to the HeadStart report? the benefits are small to non-existent even by the end of grade one.

even if there are few lasting educational improvements from HS, there seem to be some parenting skills being passed along because the HS enrollees were spanked less and went to the dentist more.

I am even more doubtful of the efficacy of money spent on Head Start after reading the govt report.

Last edited:
No educational dollar spent is more effectively invested than in EARLY CHILDHOOD education.

Studies show that any gains achieved are lost by the time a child is in the fourth grade.

like all government social programs, Head Start is a waste of money.

I was told my son should have been with the 4-5 year olds, as far as smarts go. He is gradually learning more. You people are saying he is going to forget how to count to 20? lol
My son is going to be going into Kindergarten already knowing what they are teaching. He is around other kids etc I cant see how this is a bad thing. after all, our future is in their hands..

According to government studies sponsored by the DHHS he will be lose all of that by third grade. I suggest you chose to do something to prevent that by taking responsibility for your child yourself.

At the end of 3rd grade, there was suggestive evidence of an unfavorable impact—the parents of the Head Start group children reported a significantly lower child grade promotion rate than the parents of the non-Head Start group children.

Frist, I want to say that no government program alone is going to do everything. The parents have to step in, help out and continue the progress or all the gains made through the program will be lost. My wife works with him everyday on his reading, math, science and history. Right now he is testing above average in all subjects. He is only in 1st grade, so we shall see.

I think most of the time the program fails, because all the gains made in the program are lost when it ends, because many parents don't want to be parents and don't pick up where head start leaves off!

Expanding the failed head start program just starts indoctrination at a younger age. There isn't much difference between obama's plans and the way Cuba removes children from their families to raise according to what the government wants.

I suggest everyone who supports Head Start read the government study I linked to, and stop pretending the government is the answer.

LOL, I rarely EVER state government is the answer! I am going off my PERSONAL experience. I rarely trust these government studies, whether or not they support my point or not.

Case in point in my liberal youth I relied on a FANTASY study that stated the gun owners were more likely to kill someone in their home than an intruder! This was a report all liberals tout, but it was later revealed to have fake numbers, relied on faulty data and made up conclusions!

I mean if you are going to rely on government reports are you going to accept the gov's account on global warming?

I was told my son should have been with the 4-5 year olds, as far as smarts go. He is gradually learning more. You people are saying he is going to forget how to count to 20? lol
My son is going to be going into Kindergarten already knowing what they are teaching. He is around other kids etc I cant see how this is a bad thing. after all, our future is in their hands..

That is not what the government report says. Head Start improves test scores for at risk children over others in their age group, but that improvement is only temporary. By the time they get into third grade they are scoring lower than average for their age group. The benefits of Head Start are transitory, though there does appear to be an increase in high school graduation rates for children that went through Head Start to those that did not. If you put every kid in America through Head Start the at risk kids will end up scoring lower than the rest of their age group right from the beginning, and you will end up denying all of those children an entire year of being able to explore the world on their own.

Frist, I want to say that no government program alone is going to do everything. The parents have to step in, help out and continue the progress or all the gains made through the program will be lost. My wife works with him everyday on his reading, math, science and history. Right now he is testing above average in all subjects. He is only in 1st grade, so we shall see.

I think most of the time the program fails, because all the gains made in the program are lost when it ends, because many parents don't want to be parents and don't pick up where head start leaves off!

Then you agree, we should just end all these idiotic government programs aimed at children and encourage neighborhoods to step in and nurture the children.

Ever wonder why kids who attend Catholic School their entire lives do better than kids who go through public schools? Do you think the fact that Catholic communities tend to see children as a joint responsibility might have a bearing on that?

Props to you and your boy. Good o hear a success story.

Then you agree, we should just end all these idiotic government programs aimed at children and encourage neighborhoods to step in and nurture the children.

Ever wonder why kids who attend Catholic School their entire lives do better than kids who go through public schools? Do you think the fact that Catholic communities tend to see children as a joint responsibility might have a bearing on that?

Private schools usually always have a better track record, but let's face it if private schools were the only option, then like college most wouldn't go.

Public education is a must. So figure out the flaws.
(1) Pensions: 60% of the property taxes in Cook county, IL (largest county in IL) goes to the unfunded pension payments to retired teachers. That means 40% goes to REAL education and other services. These pension obligations are huge. Just imagine if that 60% actually went to bettering our schools and to glup lowering the already bloated property taxes.

(2) Tenure:
There is not ONE good argument for tenure. Not one. It keeps to many horrendous teachers in school!

(3) No school choice:

(4) No year long classes. Sorry, but the summer should be fun, but it's valuable time that our children forget what they learned and take too long to get back into the swing of things. China and India go year long and guess who is producing more scientists and engineers!

(5) Class size: It needs to be lowered, but not until pensions are done away with.

(6) Free healthcare: I don't get free healthcare, why should they.

(7) Starting school at age 5: Honestly all kids should be in some time of school at age 3!

Many things go into fixing our educational system, but doing away with public schools isn't the answer!

Forum List

Back