He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

---------------------------------------

I hope he wins.
I thought you Leftards liked at will employment.

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

I hope he wins.
Maybe he wrote a memo that said men and women have different traits.

As a liberal progressive on social issues I find myself in agreement with the business owner. ALL employers should have the right to refuse to employ people with questionable or dangerous beliefs. Which is why I support hollywoods' refusal to hire conservative actors. If I had a business I would NEVER hire conservatives or evangelicals.

You have a point there.:) I would make a rule, no religion or politic talk at work. Kind of like the family get together rule.

I hope he wins.

Eunuchs need only apply, oh wait that goes for Priests.

I hope he wins.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine."

Sounds like a real winner and of course, a Democrat.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. xxxxx"

Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. But he's been sober for years and recently won custody of his 10- and 14-year-old sons.

xxxxx - did you deliberately leave out the full paragraph, it must have frightened you ... also (recently won custody) is not easily accomplished is done through the courts and is a clear indication of an honest person hopping to hold down a job.

no doubt you are a 4th century christian, likewise fearing the true religion of honesty and integrity.
That's the real agenda here, isn't it. Attacking Christianity.

No its attacking the freedom of religion. I personally do not want to listen to JW, Evangelicals hell fire messages, or any one it at work.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

he should have that right ...

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else ...

well, in this case the worker did not like it and is suing the believer shouldn't he have the right to work for a living at his choice of location and not someone else's ...

you did not answer the previous question as to how the case pertains to present law.
No, the employee is either hired or not. The choice to hire anyone is up to the employer. Duh!!

So if one is black he can refuse to hire him, or say a female construction worker , if they are qualified. Or say a Muslim that needs to pray a few times a day, can he refuse to hire him? I mean according the ST Paul , Christians are suppose to pray unceasingly.

Wait, so, as an employer I should be forced to accommodate one's religious needs to pray a few times a day but I cannot force an employee to accommodate my religious beliefs?

I hope he wins.

So saying men and women are different is grounds for termination but skipping attending mandatory company meetings is not.

I hope he wins.

Sound like BS. He was probably jerking off on the job

wouldn't attend bible study. No it doesn't sound like BS, there are some real kooks out there.

It's absolute, total fiction! The company should countersue for Libel and slander

What for, he is suing for bigotry.
Bigotry isn't a crime.

Its is in the US when you open your door to the public and hire employees.

I hope he wins.

So saying men and women are different is grounds for termination but skipping attending mandatory company meetings is not.

Company meets is not bible study.

A dozen years ago during an unemployed spell, the Jobcentre suggested I tale a vacant job in a warehouse at the local navy dockyard helping to load supplies onto warships, so as it sounded interesting I said yes I'll give it a go, so they printed out an application form and job description for me.
I'd assumed "supplies" would be chocolate bars, cans of Coke, clothing etc, but when I got home and studied the small print it said "Applicants must be prepared to handle high explosives, missiles and bombs, and undergo periodic checks for radiation poisoning".
Call me a wimp but I chickened out and got a job in a charity shop instead.
The moral?- always read the job description first.

OK, you are a wimp!

I am glad to be of service.

I hope he wins.

No. Conservatards did. Check who rammed through the laughingly-named, anti-union "right to work" (for peanuts) laws. You have completely reversed the real state of affairs.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.

What if someone becomes an atheist after they are hired, should he had the right to fire them??
What if being a believer was a condition of their hiring?

I asked what if he became an atheist while employed.

I hope he wins.

No. Conservatards did. Check who rammed through the laughingly-named, anti-union "right to work" (for peanuts) laws. You have completely reversed the real state of affairs.
So why is it ok to fire someone for saying men and women are different?

What if someone becomes an atheist after they are hired, should he had the right to fire them??

Atheists can’t hear a Bible study? Like sunlight to a vampire, he turns to ashes?

We need freedom FROM religion.
Nope not freedom from religion, but rather a mutual respect towards both things exsisting within the sectors be it public and/or private once again. We as individuals need freedom of choice, and not enslavement in anything we choose to participate in or not to participate in. Religion can co-exist in anything we have going, but it's when it demands participation against a person's will is when it violates the individuals rights.

The same goes for anything not religious as well. All can exist together in the private and public speres, just as long as these things don't force themselves on an individual against his or her will.
So you think that Muslims should have sharia law in the US?
---------------------------------- no , Foreign and imported muslims shouldn't be imported into the USA , Being muslim should disqualify muslims from being imported into the USA Taz . JUST a comment Taz .

Are people of the Muslim faith "imported"? The ones I know immigrated, just like the rest of our families, with the exception of our indigenous families who immigrated hundreds/thousands of years ago, maybe across the Bering Strait. No one is imposing "sharia law" on the American public. No one should try to impose "Christian law," or Jewish law on the American public, either.
There are muslims in the United States that are trying to impose sharia law here. If you don't know that, then you're very ignorant or lying.
---------------------------------------------- of course there are , muslims see 'shariah' as their Constitution . That is why i say that muslims should not be imported into the USA BSFilter .

In fact, I do support the idea of Islamic Courts in the US.

We already have community based religious law courts in some Jewish communities that deal only with Jews and only with issues of Jewish Law that aren't covered under civil law

then you whine when that becomes an issue, your history through the ages speaks for itself, repeatedly.

That's the real agenda here, isn't it. Attacking Christianity.

yours is bi-polar, both religion and employment for some they are an inseparable axis or maybe just an ax for you to grind - against the innocent of society.
What do you mean by "the innocent of society"?
What do you mean by "the innocent of society"?

the rich and famous ...

images

oh, I'm sorry Coleman has two sons ... you deceive yourself why people might work for you or anyone and especially when they are looking for employment, good old boy's like yourself are why christianity was rewritten in the 4th century after the 1st.

Atheists can’t hear a Bible study? Like sunlight to a vampire, he turns to ashes?

and what of the religion of Antiquity, what does that do to you and the forgery you call christianity.

What if he did?

I hope he wins.

When you belong to a union and the majority of members vote to strike, you lose your right to work. What about that fact don't you understand?

Sharia violates a ton of our laws, but freedom of religion doesn’t set limits.
Anything that violates our laws should not be allowed or acceptable. Period.
So no freedom of religion then.
You equate all religion with law breaking or something that violates our laws ???

Good grief.
No, I'm saying that if you have freedom OF religion then sharia law should be allowed in the US, regardless of our laws.
Sharia law isn't religion...it's law....it crosses the line into our law system which is separate (see: Separation of Church and State) You want to live your private life under any kind of sharia law of any kind of religion, fine...but it can't go against secular law.
Nope, sharia is a central tenet of Islam, so not a separate entity.

Forum List

Back