He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

If he KNEW he'd be required to join the classes when he took the job, the judge will probably kick the case out of court.
But if boss man sprung it on him AFTER he took the job, he's got a good case..:)

Not only should he win, but his former employer should be fined.
I believe the guy should seek employment from someone else. No one made him take the job. No one is entitled to keep a job and anyone can be let go for any reason that isn't abusive in nature. I imagine having to attend most seminars would be far more painful than investing some time in a Bible Study.

Actually, having a bit of Bible knowledge comes in handy as we go through life because we can shoot the odd verse at people to slap them around if they step out of line..:)
"The Lord made my mouth a sharp sword, an arrow in his quiver" (Isaiah 49:1/2)

Throne-blood-499_zpskphevkn5.jpg

A dozen years ago during an unemployed spell, the Jobcentre suggested I tale a vacant job in a warehouse at the local navy dockyard helping to load supplies onto warships, so as it sounded interesting I said yes I'll give it a go, so they printed out an application form and job description for me.
I'd assumed "supplies" would be chocolate bars, cans of Coke, clothing etc, but when I got home and studied the small print it said "Applicants must be prepared to handle high explosives, missiles and bombs, and undergo periodic checks for radiation poisoning".
Call me a wimp but I chickened out and got a job in a charity shop instead.
The moral?- always read the job description first.

As a liberal progressive on social issues I find myself in agreement with the business owner. ALL employers should have the right to refuse to employ people with questionable or dangerous beliefs. Which is why I support hollywoods' refusal to hire conservative actors. If I had a business I would NEVER hire conservatives or evangelicals.

I would NEVER hire conservatives or evangelicals.

Depends what you mean by "evangelicals"..:)
Ordinary christians would bust a gut doing all they could to make your business a success and would never sneak days off or refuse to work overtime, and would never come in drunk or drugged.
I'm not a businessman but I think it'd be very good business sense for any boss to hire Christians..;)

Here are a couple of quotes that every Christian lives by-

"There is no more noble occupation in the world than to assist another human being, to help someone succeed"- Alan Loy McGinnis (1933-2005)
"Just make up your mind at the very outset that your work is going to stand for quality... that you are going to stamp a superior quality upon everything that goes out of your hands, that whatever you do shall bear the hall-mark of excellence." - Orison Swett Marden (1850-1924)

Last edited:
Filter: I don't believe he was fired because he wouldn't participate in the bible study ...

I will say I would not participate in any bible study particularly when order to do so or lose my job however I have enough cushion to find another job were it necessary. we are talking about people that would not be able to pay their rent - and that I suppose is where you accuse me of being a leftist propaganda parrot because otherwise you prove again by your own refusal to discuss the specifics of the case to be simply irrational by claiming you do not believe the reason for the case without the liest bit of proof as your answer.

* it is the workers freedom of religion we are speaking about, filter - try and answer the subject matter and not your whims of derision.
I simply don't believe that he was fired because he wouldn't attend a bible study. You don't have any more evidence than I do.
Ummm, there was a Bible study.
He attended.
He stopped attending.
He was fired shortly after he stopped.
No other reason for his firing has been offered.

So that is evidence he was fired for non-attendance.
Is it conclusive evidence? No. Is it possible there was a legitimate reason? Yes.

But for now, the only evidence we have suggests that he was fired for refusing to attend the Bible study.
According to who? The disgruntled employee. You only have one side of the story.
Right. And that is evidence. There may be more to it, maybe not. But you are refusing to even consider he might be telling the truth. That seems odd. We currently have no reason to think he’s lying. Why do you think he is, without any evidence?
He might be telling the truth, he might not. Isn't that true?
The fact that there are two possibilities does not mean they are both equally likely or believable.

We know for a fact that the company has required Bible study sessions.
“Required” implies consequences for non-attendance.

The known facts support his story. Nothing known contradicts it. Is it possible he’s lying? Sure. But there’s no reason to think he is.

Therefore, it makes sense to conditionally accept his claims, until/unless strong contradictory evidence comes to light.

What evidence do you have that he’s lying?

Schools for example don't have to be religion free, but only that they provide an out to those who wish not to participate in a religious function or event taking place. It can easily be done, but the left wants complete removal because it wants to force a limited option to the students in which it wants to control or brainwash.
I agree that schools don’t have to be reliant free in that students should be free to express their religious beliefs as long as it is not proselytizing or disruptive.
But the school itself?
The Establishment Clause, unlike the Free Exercise Clause, does not depend upon any showing of direct governmental compulsion and is violated by the enactment of laws which establish an official religion whether those laws operate directly to coerce nonobserving individuals or not.
Engel v Vitale 370 U.S. 421 (1962)

In other words, schools, and the government in general, cannot sponsor or endorse any religious activities, voluntary or not. Neither can the school be hostile to religion.
It should relate to the majority, and it also should be allowed in the school when the school operators and staff come to a consensus on such a thing, and where as the majority of most agree with or wishes the school to add some form of prayer or religious content to the appropriate settings within the school.

With this said, it should also be considerate of those who might not agree, and this even if they only number by one, and so in such a case it should provide a very appropriate non-bullying or intimidation free area in order that the student, staff member or other can freely choose to depart to if that is nessesary in their mind to do so during an event.
Do you realize you are advocating government support for the majority religion, setting up a de facto establishment of religion. Those of minority religions would not have equal expression or freedom of religion.

Civil rights should not be up to majority vote.
Civil rights should be controlled by a minority vote ?? I advocate fairness be placed back into every facet of society, and that means freedom reinstated with the consideration of others of course, but in a way as to not damage our overall freedoms that we have built this great nation upon, but we must do these things right.
Civil rights are not up for a vote.

Do you think Muslims should not practice a law that suits their people as long as it's not in violation of our laws, and it is not forced on others who want nothing to do with such a law or religion ?
Sharia violates a ton of our laws, but freedom of religion doesn’t set limits.
Anything that violates our laws should not be allowed or acceptable. Period.
So no freedom of religion then.
You equate all religion with law breaking or something that violates our laws ???

Good grief.
No, I'm saying that if you have freedom OF religion then sharia law should be allowed in the US, regardless of our laws.
Sharia law isn't religion...it's law....it crosses the line into our law system which is separate (see: Separation of Church and State) You want to live your private life under any kind of sharia law of any kind of religion, fine...but it can't go against secular law.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

he should have that right ...

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

Not if the employer is covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which this employer is if it has a minimum of 15 employees. The employee's religious beliefs have nothing to do with his ability to paint.

BTW: it is totally ridiculous to think that a person who was discharged for any reason, legal or illegal, would sit around and not find another job.
You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to. How absurd.
So...if I'm a veteran, and with the Reserves and apply for a job at your place, you can refuse to hire me based on my reserve obligations?

He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

---------------------------------------

I hope he wins.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine."

Sounds like a real winner and of course, a Democrat.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

Not if the employer is covered by the 1964 Civil Rights Act, which this employer is if it has a minimum of 15 employees. The employee's religious beliefs have nothing to do with his ability to paint.

BTW: it is totally ridiculous to think that a person who was discharged for any reason, legal or illegal, would sit around and not find another job.
You can't force a business owner to hire someone he doesn't want to. How absurd.
So...if I'm a veteran, and with the Reserves and apply for a job at your place, you can refuse to hire me based on my reserve obligations?
No, not based on your reserve obligations. However, I'm not going to hire you, and that's my right.

No, not based on your reserve obligations. However, I'm not going to hire you, and that's my right.
Actually, it isn't.....you would be breaking the law.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994, known as USERRA, prohibits employers from discriminating against service members "on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation." Employers cannot refuse to hire, re-employ, retain or promote, or deny any benefits of employment because of a person's military duty.

I simply don't believe that he was fired because he wouldn't attend a bible study. You don't have any more evidence than I do.
He attended.
He stopped attending.

Is it conclusive evidence? No. Is it possible there was a legitimate reason? Yes.

But for now, the only evidence we have suggests that he was fired for refusing to attend the Bible study.
According to who? The disgruntled employee. You only have one side of the story.
Right. And that is evidence. There may be more to it, maybe not. But you are refusing to even consider he might be telling the truth. That seems odd. We currently have no reason to think he’s lying. Why do you think he is, without any evidence?
The fact that there are two possibilities does not mean they are both equally likely or believable.

The known facts support his story. Nothing known contradicts it. Is it possible he’s lying? Sure. But there’s no reason to think he is.

Therefore, it makes sense to conditionally accept his claims, until/unless strong contradictory evidence comes to light.

He was fired. People that are fired often twist the facts. There's plenty of evidence on that. That's why there is going to be a trial.

We need freedom FROM religion.
Nope not freedom from religion, but rather a mutual respect towards both things exsisting within the sectors be it public and/or private once again. We as individuals need freedom of choice, and not enslavement in anything we choose to participate in or not to participate in. Religion can co-exist in anything we have going, but it's when it demands participation against a person's will is when it violates the individuals rights.

The same goes for anything not religious as well. All can exist together in the private and public speres, just as long as these things don't force themselves on an individual against his or her will.
So you think that Muslims should have sharia law in the US?

In fact, I do support the idea of Islamic Courts in the US.

We already have community based religious law courts in some Jewish communities that deal only with Jews and only with issues of Jewish Law that aren't covered under civil law.

Jewish religious courts, Beit Dein, have jurisdiction only in matters of Jewish Law and only deal with non-criminal matters within the Jewish Community. The rulings of Beit Din only apply to Jews who voluntarily take their religious matters to the court.

He attended.
He stopped attending.

He was fired. People that are fired often twist the facts. There's plenty of evidence on that. That's why there is going to be a trial.
Yes, some people lie about why they were fired. The question is why you think this particular person is lying. Unless your claim is that ALL people lie.

Actually, it isn't.....you would be breaking the law.

The Uniformed Services Employment and Reemployment Rights Act of 1994, known as USERRA, prohibits employers from discriminating against service members "on the basis of that membership, application for membership, performance of service, application for service, or obligation." Employers cannot refuse to hire, re-employ, retain or promote, or deny any benefits of employment because of a person's military duty.
Read my post again. I don't have to hire you or give you a reason why I didn't hire you. If you believe I didn't hire you because you're a veteran, then take me to court and prove it.

Yes, some people lie about why they were fired. The question is why you think this particular person is lying. Unless your claim is that ALL people lie.
It's a gut feeling based on intelligence and experience. Isn't that why they're having a trial, to find out if what he claims is true or a lie?

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

I hope he wins.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine."

"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. xxxxx"

Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. But he's been sober for years and recently won custody of his 10- and 14-year-old sons.

xxxxx - did you deliberately leave out the full paragraph, it must have frightened you ... also (recently won custody) is not easily accomplished is done through the courts and is a clear indication of an honest person hopping to hold down a job.

no doubt you are a 4th century christian, likewise fearing the true religion of honesty and integrity.

I hope he wins.

"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. xxxxx"

Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. But he's been sober for years and recently won custody of his 10- and 14-year-old sons.

xxxxx - did you deliberately leave out the full paragraph, it must have frightened you ... also (recently won custody) is not easily accomplished is done through the courts and is a clear indication of an honest person hopping to hold down a job.

no doubt you are a 4th century christian, likewise fearing the true religion of honesty and integrity.
That's the real agenda here, isn't it. Attacking Christianity.

Forum List

Back