He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

He said he wouldn’t join his company’s Bible study. After being let go, he’s suing.

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

---------------------------------------

I hope he wins.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine."

Sounds like a real winner and of course, a Democrat.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. xxxxx"

Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. But he's been sober for years and recently won custody of his 10- and 14-year-old sons.

xxxxx - did you deliberately leave out the full paragraph, it must have frightened you ... also (recently won custody) is not easily accomplished is done through the courts and is a clear indication of an honest person hopping to hold down a job.

no doubt you are a 4th century christian, likewise fearing the true religion of honesty and integrity.
Sure, and Anthony Weiner was cured of pedophilia.

A 34-year-old painter is suing Dahled Up Construction, a company based south of Portland, Ore., for allegedly firing him after he refused to join a Christian Bible group for employees. Ryan Coleman is seeking $800,000 from the company after its owner allegedly said participation in the Bible group was required if he wanted to keep his job.

Coleman told The Washington Post that when he explained to the company's owner, Joel Dahl, that he had different beliefs, Dahl said: "If you want to keep your job, everybody needs to attend. If not, I'm going to be forced to replace you."

I hope he wins.
"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine."

Nothing here says anything about this man's party affiliation, if any. There also is no indication of his religious beliefs, if any. Stop making things up people about whom you know absolutely nothing. Discrimination on the basis of religion is a violation of federal and state law and has been for decades.

If you want to live with your fellow religionists in some special enclave, I think that there is land available in Guyana. There also might be space in the U.S. in Pennsylvania and/or Ohio, next to the Amish, or Brooklyn, next to the Hasidic Jews. It's the most that you can hope for and still remain members of general American Society.

I hope he wins.

"Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. xxxxx"

Coleman has a past felony conviction and served a prison sentence for child neglect and for selling methamphetamine. But he's been sober for years and recently won custody of his 10- and 14-year-old sons.

xxxxx - did you deliberately leave out the full paragraph, it must have frightened you ... also (recently won custody) is not easily accomplished is done through the courts and is a clear indication of an honest person hopping to hold down a job.

no doubt you are a 4th century christian, likewise fearing the true religion of honesty and integrity.
That's the real agenda here, isn't it. Attacking Christianity.

Stop and explore what the Christian faith means. This Dahl guy does not follow it. He is not a Christian. You are incredibly arrogant in thinking that you represent the Christian faith and are not qualified to do so. You are cult people.

I hope he wins.

Nothing here says anything about this man's party affiliation, if any. There also is no indication of his religious beliefs, if any. Stop making things up people about whom you know absolutely nothing. Discrimination on the basis of religion is a violation of federal and state law and has been for decades.

If you want to live with your fellow religionists in some special enclave, I think that there is land available in Guyana. There also might be space in the U.S. in Pennsylvania and/or Ohio, next to the Amish, or Brooklyn, next to the Hasidic Jews. It's the most that you can hope for and still remain members of general American Society.
I'm not very big on those who neglect children or meth dealers, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, the guy has got Democrat written all over him.

We need freedom FROM religion.
Nope not freedom from religion, but rather a mutual respect towards both things exsisting within the sectors be it public and/or private once again. We as individuals need freedom of choice, and not enslavement in anything we choose to participate in or not to participate in. Religion can co-exist in anything we have going, but it's when it demands participation against a person's will is when it violates the individuals rights.

The same goes for anything not religious as well. All can exist together in the private and public speres, just as long as these things don't force themselves on an individual against his or her will.
So you think that Muslims should have sharia law in the US?
---------------------------------- no , Foreign and imported muslims shouldn't be imported into the USA , Being muslim should disqualify muslims from being imported into the USA Taz . JUST a comment Taz .

and obviously a person can not be required to attend a Bible study .

I hope he wins.

I'm not very big on those who neglect children or meth dealers, but maybe that's just me. Anyway, the guy has got Democrat written all over him.

This has nothing to do with politics. The idea that religion, particularly the Christian religion, has anything whatsoever to do with U.S. politics is ridiculous. You want the U.S. public to cater to your bizarre cult that you refer to as "Christian." This dahl, graham, jeffress, focus on the family, family research counsel, in no way are entitled to represent the Christian faith worldwide. They prostitute the faith in Jesus and his teachings.

I hope he wins.

This has nothing to do with politics. The idea that religion, particularly the Christian religion, has anything whatsoever to do with U.S. politics is ridiculous. You want the U.S. public to cater to your bizarre cult that you refer to as "Christian." This dahl, graham, jeffress, focus on the family, family research counsel, in no way are entitled to represent the Christian faith worldwide. They prostitute the faith in Jesus and his teachings.
Agreed. Not about politics, but about a scumbag whose testimony is easily impeached (even more so than Hillary's).

In fact, I do support the idea of Islamic Courts in the US.

We already have community based religious law courts in some Jewish communities that deal only with Jews and only with issues of Jewish Law that aren't covered under civil law

then you whine when that becomes an issue, your history through the ages speaks for itself, repeatedly.

yours is bi-polar, both religion and employment for some they are an inseparable axis or maybe just an ax for you to grind - against the innocent of society.

Nope not freedom from religion, but rather a mutual respect towards both things exsisting within the sectors be it public and/or private once again. We as individuals need freedom of choice, and not enslavement in anything we choose to participate in or not to participate in. Religion can co-exist in anything we have going, but it's when it demands participation against a person's will is when it violates the individuals rights.

The same goes for anything not religious as well. All can exist together in the private and public speres, just as long as these things don't force themselves on an individual against his or her will.
---------------------------------- no , Foreign and imported muslims shouldn't be imported into the USA , Being muslim should disqualify muslims from being imported into the USA Taz . JUST a comment Taz .

Are people of the Muslim faith "imported"? The ones I know immigrated, just like the rest of our families, with the exception of our indigenous families who immigrated hundreds/thousands of years ago, maybe across the Bering Strait. No one is imposing "sharia law" on the American public. No one should try to impose "Christian law," or Jewish law on the American public, either.

I hope he wins.

Stop and explore what the Christian faith means. This Dahl guy does not follow it. He is not a Christian. You are incredibly arrogant in thinking that you represent the Christian faith and are not qualified to do so. You are cult people.
I understand Christianity. Anytime you want to discuss what the Christian faith is really about biblically, go for it. I have a feeling you don't have a clue.

In fact, I do support the idea of Islamic Courts in the US.

We already have community based religious law courts in some Jewish communities that deal only with Jews and only with issues of Jewish Law that aren't covered under civil law

then you whine when that becomes an issue, your history through the ages speaks for itself, repeatedly.

yours is bi-polar, both religion and employment for some they are an inseparable axis or maybe just an ax for you to grind - against the innocent of society.
What do you mean by "the innocent of society"?

Are people of the Muslim faith "imported"? The ones I know immigrated, just like the rest of our families, with the exception of our indigenous families who immigrated hundreds/thousands of years ago, maybe across the Bering Strait. No one is imposing "sharia law" on the American public. No one should try to impose "Christian law," or Jewish law on the American public, either.
There are muslims in the United States that are trying to impose sharia law here. If you don't know that, then you're very ignorant or lying.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

he should have that right ...

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

What if someone becomes an atheist after they are hired, should he had the right to fire them??

Sharia violates a ton of our laws, but freedom of religion doesn’t set limits.
Anything that violates our laws should not be allowed or acceptable. Period.
So no freedom of religion then.
You equate all religion with law breaking or something that violates our laws ???

Good grief.
No, I'm saying that if you have freedom OF religion then sharia law should be allowed in the US, regardless of our laws.
Nope, not if violates the laws of decency that are derived from our religion in which had given us our knowledge and understanding in which helped us to formulate our laws in that we abide by to this very day.

What laws of decency from Christianity, you mean being a bigot and a slave driver.

I hope he wins.

Sound like BS. He was probably jerking off on the job

wouldn't attend bible study. No it doesn't sound like BS, there are some real kooks out there.

It's absolute, total fiction! The company should countersue for Libel and slander

What for, he is suing for bigotry.

I don't believe all of the story. However, if the owner only wants to hire believers he should have that right.

does that mean to you that presently the employer does not have that right ... due to civil rights legislation over the last few decades.
I think if he only wants to hire believers then he should. If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else. It's his business.

What if someone becomes an atheist after they are hired, should he had the right to fire them??
What if being a believer was a condition of their hiring?

I hope he wins.

Sound like BS. He was probably jerking off on the job

wouldn't attend bible study. No it doesn't sound like BS, there are some real kooks out there.

It's absolute, total fiction! The company should countersue for Libel and slander

What for, he is suing for bigotry.
Bigotry isn't a crime.

If someone doesn't like it then go work somewhere else ...

well, in this case the worker did not like it and is suing the believer shouldn't he have the right to work for a living at his choice of location and not someone else's ...

you did not answer the previous question as to how the case pertains to present law.
No, the employee is either hired or not. The choice to hire anyone is up to the employer. Duh!!

So if one is black he can refuse to hire him, or say a female construction worker , if they are qualified. Or say a Muslim that needs to pray a few times a day, can he refuse to hire him? I mean according the ST Paul , Christians are suppose to pray unceasingly.

Forum List

Back