Zone1 Have you ever changed your religion?

I have …

• Never had any religion

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I had another religion and changed it

Votes: 3 30.0%
  • i had some religion and now i have none

Votes: 4 40.0%
  • I still have my old religion

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
When I was a kid my mother was a Baptist and used to drag me along to church.

She stopped going when she started worshipping heroin.

I've listened to/read (much of) the Old and (all of) the New Testment for a reason. Knowledge is power.

Raised in a protestant religion and for most of my life was in that religion/denomination.

I'm currently a free agent

My entire life I have always been very interested and fascinated by "religion", which has led me to explore, un-academically, religions, faith, history, hermeneutics, context, etc.

I believe that it means something, that for 10,000 plus years and beyond, mankind has always sought spirituality (I prefer that term over religion). With no evidence whatever of an afterlife and Gods, spirituality has always been woven into the fabric of what it means to be a human. I know many will claim that gods have only been used as a means to explain what couldn't be explained, and I will agree with that, to a point. But the concept of a God causing an earthquake, can't be made unless the concept of God existed prior IMO. Where did the concept of gods and spirituality come from when there is absolutely no evidence, even back to antiquity?

In summation, don't be surprised when you take your last breath, that you're just about to take your first one.

Now did you give up on the church or did they give up on you?

Oh, I gave up on them right after the nasty old nun who had made my childhood a living hell showed up at my Mom's Funeral (they were coworkers) and said God had a good reason for her to whither away from cancer for a year.

She was lucky I didn't punch her out.

I was raised with no religion at all. My mother was a dabbler. She dabbled in witchcraft and voodoo. I paid attention or not. Mostly not. I never went to church. This went on until I was in my 30s. Then things got bad. Then really bad. Then frighteningly horrible.

I have no memory of how this Bible came into my possession. It was just there. In the apartment I was getting ready to abandon. I started reading it. For the first time, it all made sense. The world made sense. My whole life made sense. I spent the weekend reading that book. Marking it up, highlighting and underlining.

After that, it all worked out, somehow the broken pieces fell into place.

No I still don't go to church. It's not necessary. I learned three lessons. One is, when God wants to get your attention, your life can get simply awful. The second is, faith is a gift. You won't find it in church. Three, God absolutely knows more than you do.

I was raised with no religion at all. My mother was a dabbler. She dabbled in witchcraft and voodoo. I paid attention or not. Mostly not. I never went to church. This went on until I was in my 30s. Then things got bad. Then really bad. Then frighteningly horrible.

I have no memory of how this Bible came into my possession. It was just there. In the apartment I was getting ready to abandon. I started reading it. For the first time, it all made sense. The world made sense. My whole life made sense. I spent the weekend reading that book. Marking it up, highlighting and underlining.

After that, it all worked out, somehow the broken pieces fell into place.

No I still don't go to church. It's not necessary. I learned three lessons. One is, when God wants to get your attention, your life can get simply awful. The second is, faith is a gift. You won't find it in church. Three, God absolutely knows more than you do.

Actually, what I got out of the Bible is that Churches made their own rules, and they don't like it when people ask questions. And little Joey, who liked to ask questions, often found himself getting slapped over the knuckles with a ruler by frustrated lesbians in habits.

"Sister Mary Butch, why did God drown all the babies?" "They were WICKED BABIES! WIIIIIICKED!" SLAP!
"Sister, it says here in the Bible no Graven Images, but we have all these statues of the Saints in Church!" SLAP!

If more people read the bible, we'd have more atheists!

Actually, what I got out of the Bible is that Churches made their own rules, and they don't like it when people ask questions. And little Joey, who liked to ask questions, often found himself getting slapped over the knuckles with a ruler by frustrated lesbians in habits.

"Sister Mary Butch, why did God drown all the babies?" "They were WICKED BABIES! WIIIIIICKED!" SLAP!
"Sister, it says here in the Bible no Graven Images, but we have all these statues of the Saints in Church!" SLAP!

If more people read the bible, we'd have more atheists!
I am truly sorry that your experience with the Catholic Church was so negative. I never had exposure to the Catholic Church, or indeed any Church. I had the benefit of reading the Bible with no religious interference at all.

This went on until I was in my 30s. Then things got bad. Then really bad. Then frighteningly horrible.

- could not read past the first forgery ... even the darkest of days.

Then God said, “Let us make life in our image, in our likeness, the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky the livestock and all the wild animals, and all the creatures that move along the ground.”

when corrected, what jesus taught, liberation theology - only a few lines further is the next obstacle ... moses was an awful person - do you believe a&e were sinners ... and your one also.

Right now, 3 of 8 say that they have still their old religion.
I will be interested to see how this thread develops. :)

Forum List

Back