Have Republicans mortally wounded the Teaching Profession in this country?

If you believe what Republicans have said about education and teachers, who would want to be a teacher?They are overpaid, can't teach, they teach communism, they're greedy, they don't work and they shouldn't be teaching "critical thinking skills" that indoctrinate children.In fact, according to recent suggested Republican policies, they should be "armed" and used to "watch over" children.
Republicans have used the last 5 years to smear and demolish the teaching profession. President Reagan said unions are a "right" and yet, Republicans have worked overtime to destroy teacher's unions. Not negotiate with, but detroy. And you have those like Santorum saying education is for snobs and that it's an insult to those without education to want it for everyone. And look at Texas with their "anti thought" party platform. And the way Republicans have "rewritten" history books. And their attitude towards science. And the weird way they keep insisting most Republicans have degrees. Very weird. It's like insisting most scientists are Republican even though, from every indication, Republicans think scientists are overpaid, worthless and only make money off government. We know that there are 3.7 million unfilled jobs in this country because companies can't find the skills to fill them. But if Republicans continue to go after teachers, doesn't that ensure there will never be the skills available? With everything Republicans want to tear down or defund, where are their plans to "build"? And won't teachers be needed to teach people to how to "build"?
:blahblah:

We think parents should be in charge again. They always were when America was internationally #1 internationally. When unions took over, they arranged to minimize the impact of parents on school in multiple ways. And to put parents in charge, we think parents should once again finance the schools, including putting some schools back in churches where they started.

Back to basics!

I know you don't get it, but money has not improved education in America, it has corrupted education. It's time to change failure back to excellence. Parents, not unions, are our only hope.

We do too....give them.the tools to be able to do so.... a living fucking wage where both parents don't have to be busting their asses and kids left alone with the TV to be their guidance.

But....that would go against the Conservative meme....so start the "you only get what the market allows bullshit to start in 3....2....1.
Look at what you said with your keyboard, sir. DISGUSTING!

You spit the f word,taboo body parts, and Freudian Stage I and II epithets so regularly you come across as a lowlife rather than the talented musician and erudite scholar you would be if you had a shred of decency when you speak to people with whom you disagree.

F in conduct should put people back a couple of grades. Then they wouldn't use language that brings about disorganization followed by civil war.

Get a grip, mon.

If you believe what Republicans have said about education and teachers, who would want to be a teacher?They are overpaid, can't teach, they teach communism, they're greedy, they don't work and they shouldn't be teaching "critical thinking skills" that indoctrinate children.In fact, according to recent suggested Republican policies, they should be "armed" and used to "watch over" children.
Republicans have used the last 5 years to smear and demolish the teaching profession. President Reagan said unions are a "right" and yet, Republicans have worked overtime to destroy teacher's unions. Not negotiate with, but detroy. And you have those like Santorum saying education is for snobs and that it's an insult to those without education to want it for everyone. And look at Texas with their "anti thought" party platform. And the way Republicans have "rewritten" history books. And their attitude towards science. And the weird way they keep insisting most Republicans have degrees. Very weird. It's like insisting most scientists are Republican even though, from every indication, Republicans think scientists are overpaid, worthless and only make money off government. We know that there are 3.7 million unfilled jobs in this country because companies can't find the skills to fill them. But if Republicans continue to go after teachers, doesn't that ensure there will never be the skills available? With everything Republicans want to tear down or defund, where are their plans to "build"? And won't teachers be needed to teach people to how to "build"?

We think parents should be in charge again. They always were when America was internationally #1 internationally. When unions took over, they arranged to minimize the impact of parents on school in multiple ways. And to put parents in charge, we think parents should once again finance the schools, including putting some schools back in churches where they started.

Back to basics!

I know you don't get it, but money has not improved education in America, it has corrupted education. It's time to change failure back to excellence. Parents, not unions, are our only hope.
Parents are and always have been in charge of their children's education. They are the first and ongoing teacher of their children. Your post clearly indicates one of greatest problems in education. It is not a matter of being in charge of your children's education; it's taking responsibility for it. Parents today are not just leaving all education to the schools but childcare, discipline, and basic socialization.

60% the of parents in this country both work which means most kids are alone from the time they leave for school in the morning till the parents come home in the evening. In most of these homes, the extent of parental involvement in education is: "
How was school today"?
"OK"
"Any homework"?
"No"
An that's it. When they notice that their 7th grader is reading at a 3rd grade level and he doesn't even know the multiplication tables, they blame the schools, teachers, unions, government and everyone except who is really responsible.
Well, sell the punks as slaves. :tongue:

Judging by the test scores it seems that teachers have single handedly ruined the teaching profession. American kids feel good about their ignorance anyway. The US ranks tops in self esteem. Republicans are just trying to stem the financial hemorrhage due to teacher's union demands.
Take a look at those countries that consistently out rank the US. You will find they have a strong centralized public school system. There is parental involvement but not parental control of the educational system. Teaching is a highly respected profession and in many of the countries highly paid.

Umm, what's the point? How many countries have a teachers union and a department of education that does nothing but exist on the taxpayer dole?
Most of these countries, for example South Korea and Finland have a ministry of education that it is far more involved in the educational process than the DOE. Also, the percent of GDP that is spend on education is much higher than in the US. In short, education is a higher priority than in the US. And yes, they have teacher unions.

Back to basics!

We do too....give them.the tools to be able to do so.... a living fucking wage where both parents don't have to be busting their asses and kids left alone with the TV to be their guidance.

But....that would go against the Conservative meme....so start the "you only get what the market allows bullshit to start in 3....2....1.

You spit the f word,taboo body parts, and Freudian Stage I and II epithets so regularly you come across as a lowlife rather than the talented musician and erudite scholar you would be if you had a shred of decency when you speak to people with whom you disagree.

F in conduct should put people back a couple of grades. Then they wouldn't use language that brings about disorganization followed by civil war.

Get a grip, mon.

First off...I am a musician...talented? That's up to the listener of my.music...I don't pretend to be a prodigy.

Erudite Scholar? Fuck you. I am a working man and have been all my life. The problem with you elitists is that you don't feel working men are worth shit. That they deserve only what the elite determine what their value is...and if GUBMINT has to help them feed their kids, keep a roof over their heads, or pay for them to get healthy when they get sick? It's money that the elite don't have to pay out of their pockets...Isn't it?

Take a look at those countries that consistently out rank the US. You will find they have a strong centralized public school system. There is parental involvement but not parental control of the educational system. Teaching is a highly respected profession and in many of the countries highly paid.

Umm, what's the point? How many countries have a teachers union and a department of education that does nothing but exist on the taxpayer dole?
Most of these countries, for example South Korea and Finland have a ministry of education that it is far more involved in the educational process than the DOE. Also, the percent of GDP that is spend on education is much higher than in the US. In short, education is a higher priority than in the US. And yes, they have teacher unions.

South Korea and Finland? I bet America spends ten times more than the entire GDP of SK and Finland just to maintain the Dept of Education that doesn't really educate anyone.

South Korea and Finland? I bet America spends ten times more than the entire GDP of SK and Finland just to maintain the Dept of Education that doesn't really educate anyone.
Of course we spend more dollars on education. We are 30 times the size of Finland and 6 times the size of South Korea. I think you miss the point. They spend a much higher percent of their GDP on education as do most of the countries that are doing a better job at educating their kids. In other words, education is higher priority there than in the US.

Get a grip, mon.

First off...I am a musician...talented? That's up to the listener of my.music...I don't pretend to be a prodigy.

Erudite Scholar? Fuck you. I am a working man and have been all my life. The problem with you elitists is that you don't feel working men are worth shit. That they deserve only what the elite determine what their value is...and if GUBMINT has to help them feed their kids, keep a roof over their heads, or pay for them to get healthy when they get sick? It's money that the elite don't have to pay out of their pockets...Isn't it?
A bar of soap for your naughty mouth and the box you're standing on.

bar-of-soap-thumb18409891.jpg

If you believe what Republicans have said about education and teachers, who would want to be a teacher?
The way the right has painted teachers as living in the lap of luxury - you'd think everyone would want to be a teacher, right?
The problem is not that we don't have enough people going into teaching. The problem is we don't keep them. In the first 5 years, they realize that 5 hours a day teaching is only part of their workday and a three month summer vacation is really about 6 weeks. In most school systems today, you are expected to complete your masters which is an out of pocket cost of $10K to $30K. Advancement opportunities are not good. About the only thing you can look forward to as a teacher, is job security and a decent retirement ant even that is in doubt today.

I've taught kids in public school and also adults in the evening and seminars. I would not advise anyone to go into teaching unless they really loved it. It's a dead end job.

If you believe what Republicans have said about education and teachers, who would want to be a teacher?
The way the right has painted teachers as living in the lap of luxury - you'd think everyone would want to be a teacher, right?
The problem is not that we don't have enough people going into teaching. The problem is we don't keep them. In the first 5 years, they realize that 5 hours a day teaching is only part of their workday and a three month summer vacation is really about 6 weeks. In most school systems today, you are expected to complete your masters which is an out of pocket cost of $10K to $30K. Advancement opportunities are not good. About the only thing you can look forward to as a teacher, is job security and a decent retirement ant even that is in doubt today.

I've taught kids in public school and also adults in the evening and seminars. I would not advise anyone to go into teaching unless they really loved it. It's a dead end job.

Its a great job if you don't have a family to raise. My Aunt taught 33 years in the public high schools. She never had kids or got married so she's doing OK. When she started you only needed a B.S., she finished college in 3 years and started work at age 21, retiring at 54 - not bad! And if you ever wanna know how important teachers are, I've noticed any time we're in her former school district together she always runs into people she has taught - because she's taught literally thousands.

Last edited:

Its a great job if you don't have a family to raise. My Aunt taught 33 years in the public high schools. She never had kids or got married so she's doing OK. When she started you only needed a B.S., she finished college in 3 years and started work at age 21, retiring at 54 - not bad! And if you ever wanna know how important teachers are, I've noticed any time we're in her former school district together she always runs into people she has taught - because she's taught literally thousands.
Most people teaching today aren't old maid school teachers. They have kids and families to support.

Judging by the test scores it seems that teachers have single handedly ruined the teaching profession. American kids feel good about their ignorance anyway. The US ranks tops in self esteem. Republicans are just trying to stem the financial hemorrhage due to teacher's union demands.

Finland students have attained very high scores in testing and they have teachers unions, so maybe the unions are not the problem.

I don't unions are the problem, I do think throwing money is not going to help either.

Finland students have attained very high scores in testing and they have teachers unions, so maybe the unions are not the problem.
There is clear evidence that, in countries where teachers are highly organised, there also exists a strong investment in the development of education, a high teacher status, and a quality teacher education system. Finland is a very good example of this. In the history of Finnish education, teachers’ key role in developing education has helped to change Finland from a poor country to one at the top of the world.

..::Worlds of Education::..

They are overpaid, can't teach, they teach communism, they're greedy, they don't work and they shouldn't be teaching "critical thinking skills" that indoctrinate children.

In fact, according to recent suggested Republican policies, they should be "armed" and used to "watch over" children.

Republicans have used the last 5 years to smear and demolish the teaching profession. President Reagan said unions are a "right" and yet, Republicans have worked overtime to destroy teacher's unions. Not negotiate with, but detroy.

And you have those like Santorum saying education is for snobs and that it's an insult to those without education to want it for everyone.

And look at Texas with their "anti thought" party platform.

And the way Republicans have "rewritten" history books.

And their attitude towards science.

And the weird way they keep insisting most Republicans have degrees. Very weird. It's like insisting most scientists are Republican even though, from every indication, Republicans think scientists are overpaid, worthless and only make money off government.

We know that there are 3.7 million unfilled jobs in this country because companies can't find the skills to fill them. But if Republicans continue to go after teachers, doesn't that ensure there will never be the skills available?

With everything Republicans want to tear down or defund, where are their plans to "build"? And won't teachers be needed to teach people to how to "build"?

I completely agree with everything you say. Just as they are turning off women, they are turning off teachers, and turning potential teachers away from the profession. Little do they seem to realize that in countries where teachers are held in high esteem, education is at its highest level. In the US, where teachers are held in contempt by so many, education is faltering. Wonder why.....

The Republicans are turning off women, teachers, Asians, Hispanics, Blacks and all other minorities. They are turning off young people. They are turning off educated people. They are turning off college professors and anyone who supports higher education.

I hope they keep it up; it will ensure they will never be able to get a Republican president elected in the next election. Even Bob Dole says all this stuff is ruining the party. Ha, ha...it's fun to watch them emplode.

Last edited:

Back to basics!

Parents should be in charge, what a laugh. I know that American public schools have parent teacher conferences at least twice a year and that only about 10% of parents show up, usually the parents of those kids who are doing fine because their parents are involved in their kids education. As well, parents are welcome to schedule a parent teacher conference as often as they like any time during the year; 99% never do. Often when parents are asked to come to school to talk to the teacher, they don't show up.

Parents have every option to be involved; they don't take advantage of that. It is poor parenting and social problems that are what is wrong, not the schools. Parents expect the schools to deal with everything: medical problems, social problems, mental problems--everything under the sun, and educate their kids as well: and the parents can't be bothered with it, except to teach their kids to despise teachers. At the same time, they think you just drop the kids off at school, like dropping off dry cleaning, and the school will fix everything.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back