Hate Walmart?

I almost never go to Walmart.

I mean really, who wants to rub elbows with non-English speaking, brown skinned poor people. :dunno:

WalMart Rocks

Cheap stuff for Americans means more buying power for your limited paycheck

Yeah...cheap stuff manufactured somewhere else means less job and smaller paychecks.
:cuckoo:

So you're saying you'd voluntarily overpay for something like the computer you're using now?

No. The computer I have was assembled in America by Zareason in California.
I use Linux which is free. I am quite sure it is cheaper than any computer you get at WalMart and is made by a small business in America.

I can go on. All it takes is a few minutes to look at options when you buy a product to see if there are better options than shopping at a ruthless job killing company as WalMart.

Yeah...cheap stuff manufactured somewhere else means less job and smaller paychecks.

If you are trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year saving 10-15% at WalMart stretches your buying power

Do you think struggling Americans should boycott WalMart out of altruism? Pay more money in the hopes jobs will eventually trickle down?

Do you think struggling Americans going to WalMart and buying cheap foreign goods creates jobs?
The nations largest employer is WalMart. A company that pays abysmal wages and criminal benefits - everytime you shop there you support this company and keep right on telling product manufacturers that you want cheap prices no matter what.

"Criminal benefits?" The Walmart here displaced a local Ace Hardware franchise (literally, the store closed when Walmart opened up across the street). The Ace Hardware paid minimum wage for the first year and a quarter raise for each year after that. The assistant manager made $10 per hour (1992) and the store manager made $25K base salary with up to $10K in bonus based on store sales. Nobody got benefits. The Walmart (hiring right now, btw) starts pay at $9 per hour and full time new hires get 50% of their medical and dental insurance paid and costs about $150 per month for a family. My individual insurance plan with a $5000 deductible costs more than twice that.

How is that criminal when Walmart pays better than the businesses they displaced?

...hate the Clintons.

Wal-Mart’s First Lady

Twice in three days last week, Hillary Rodham Clinton basked in the adulation of cheering union members. Her record of supporting collective bargaining, however, is considerably worse than wobbly.

She was on the Walmart board. Look at Cheney, he was ceo of Haliburton and after he "stepped down", they were awarded no bid contract bids in middle eastern wars.

The article is old, she sat on the board even longer ago before Bill was president.

Just for kicks and grins, can you do me a favor?
Name 3 "no bid contracts" that Halliburton received, than name 2 other companies that had the resources/ability to fulfill the exact same contracts. (Linked proof required to support your position)

Do you think struggling Americans going to WalMart and buying cheap foreign goods creates jobs?
The nations largest employer is WalMart. A company that pays abysmal wages and criminal benefits - everytime you shop there you support this company and keep right on telling product manufacturers that you want cheap prices no matter what.

Ask someone who is counting pennies whether they want to pay $14 or $9.99 for an item. Why are you asking them to be the first to step up to prevent jobs from going overseas?

Why not go after the one per center?

Oh for Pete's sake...:doubt:
What you are basically saying is "yes I know shopping at WalMart contributes to the demise of the middle class...but it saves me money...why should I be the one to do the right thing".

Lame.

Look at the bright side

When you buy an item at WalMart for $9.99 instead of $14 you have more money for cigarettes

I almost never go to Walmart.

I mean really, who wants to rub elbows with non-English speaking, brown skinned poor people. :dunno:

WalMart chicks rock!

And the parking lot is so close

No. Actually, i love Walmart. It is a great store. They just happened to do discount shopping better than the others so they deserve their success. We have had a myriad of discount stores over the years. Jamesway, Big Wheel, Ames , Hills, Woolworths, Kmarts which are deteriorating, and on and on. Walmart stepped in and did what they all were doing but made it better. I shop at Walmart as my #1 go to place.

A lot of people in rural communities hated Walmart because they move in and gobble up business from the Ma and Pa store that are already local. It is a cheap monopoly and they don't even treat their employees well.

Hillary had nothing to do with the Walmart that is in place today. It is all we have in this little rural community and I rarely go there. I'd rather drive for miles or I shop the more expensive Main St. stores just because I find quality merchandise there.

You've never worked in a Walmart nor a mom & pop retailer have you? I sure wish I could have worked for a Walmart when I was young. Small retailers are generally horrendous in both pay and in treatment. No days off during the holidays, asking for a raise would get us fired, asking to switch schedules was forbidden, clocking in 5 minutes late (even if the timeclock was wrong) docked 30 minutes off our pay, no sick days or personal days (someone was fired for missing a week from pneumonia), and the mandatory company holiday parties were held at the owner's church. Not in the hall, that was the light reception where we had snacks and an hour of social time. The actual "party" was a 2 hour Baptist revival. And it was mandatory.

So you're saying you'd voluntarily overpay for something like the computer you're using now?

No. The computer I have was assembled in America by Zareason in California.
I use Linux which is free. I am quite sure it is cheaper than any computer you get at WalMart and is made by a small business in America.

I can go on. All it takes is a few minutes to look at options when you buy a product to see if there are better options than shopping at a ruthless job killing company as WalMart.

Well at least you use a somewhat US made computer. They are definitely more expensive than Walmart, but that's your choice and that's fine.

However I'm curious. Why do you not choose to support US based Microsoft or US based Apple and opt for a free OS? Is it better to support cheap outsouced labor or free outsourced labor?

If you are trying to raise a family on $20,000 a year saving 10-15% at WalMart stretches your buying power

Do you think struggling Americans should boycott WalMart out of altruism? Pay more money in the hopes jobs will eventually trickle down?

"Criminal benefits?" The Walmart here displaced a local Ace Hardware franchise (literally, the store closed when Walmart opened up across the street). The Ace Hardware paid minimum wage for the first year and a quarter raise for each year after that. The assistant manager made $10 per hour (1992) and the store manager made $25K base salary with up to $10K in bonus based on store sales. Nobody got benefits. The Walmart (hiring right now, btw) starts pay at $9 per hour and full time new hires get 50% of their medical and dental insurance paid and costs about $150 per month for a family. My individual insurance plan with a $5000 deductible costs more than twice that.

How is that criminal when Walmart pays better than the businesses they displaced?

You have got to be young.
$9 per hour is impossible to live on. Most jobs at WalMart are also part-time, so they have extremely limited benefits that are really none at all.
It isn't the other retailers that I am concerned about. It is the millions of manufacturing jobs that have gone to Singapore, China, Vietnam etc. etc. that Walmart greatly contributed to and continues to contribute to.

$9 per hour is impossible to live on. Most jobs at WalMart are also part-time, so they have extremely limited benefits that are really none at all.
It isn't the other retailers that I am concerned about. It is the millions of manufacturing jobs that have gone to Singapore, China, Vietnam etc. etc. that Walmart greatly contributed to and continues to contribute to.

Do you think that if WalMart were to close those jobs would magically come back?

Not a valid argument.
$9 per hour is impossible to live on.
No, it isn't, but thank you for determining that for everybody else.

Most jobs at WalMart are also part-time, so they have extremely limited benefits that are really none at all.
Since when is it the employers responsibility to supply "benefits"?

The US is still the worlds largest manufacturer of products despite the fact that China and India have a much larger population. Get over it, both countries will eventually out produce the US simply by sheer volume of people.

I am tired of idealizing "mom and pop" stores. If mom and pop want my business, then make a store where i want to shop, with merchandise i want to buy, at prices i want to pay with a reasonable return policy. I hate mom and pop stores. Most of these stores wont' allow you to return stuff and on and on. No thanks. And, i would much rather work for Walmart than mom and pop.

No. Actually, i love Walmart. It is a great store. They just happened to do discount shopping better than the others so they deserve their success. We have had a myriad of discount stores over the years. Jamesway, Big Wheel, Ames , Hills, Woolworths, Kmarts which are deteriorating, and on and on. Walmart stepped in and did what they all were doing but made it better. I shop at Walmart as my #1 go to place.

A lot of people in rural communities hated Walmart because they move in and gobble up business from the Ma and Pa store that are already local. It is a cheap monopoly and they don't even treat their employees well.

Hillary had nothing to do with the Walmart that is in place today. It is all we have in this little rural community and I rarely go there. I'd rather drive for miles or I shop the more expensive Main St. stores just because I find quality merchandise there.

You've never worked in a Walmart nor a mom & pop retailer have you? I sure wish I could have worked for a Walmart when I was young. Small retailers are generally horrendous in both pay and in treatment. No days off during the holidays, asking for a raise would get us fired, asking to switch schedules was forbidden, clocking in 5 minutes late (even if the timeclock was wrong) docked 30 minutes off our pay, no sick days or personal days (someone was fired for missing a week from pneumonia), and the mandatory company holiday parties were held at the owner's church. Not in the hall, that was the light reception where we had snacks and an hour of social time. The actual "party" was a 2 hour Baptist revival. And it was mandatory.

Jeezus, what century was this?

You people have NO idea what a vile, faceless company Wal-Mart has become since Sam Walton passed. They're a soulless, black of hole of corporate greed that sucks everything in.

You people have NO idea what a vile, faceless company Wal-Mart has become since Sam Walton passed. They're a soulless, black of hole of corporate greed that sucks everything in.

But they sell stuff cheap and still got that old guy to greet you

And yet $9 is more than any mom and pop hardware paid, with no benefits. So how is Walmart criminal?

Ah. It's Walmart's fault nobody is willing to pay higher prices. And yet you use free software.

Forum List

Back