Has anyone read about legalized euthanasia

RodISHI

Platinum Member
Nov 29, 2008
I was reading the death panel thread and got to wondering would anyone actually approve of something like death panels? So here is a few articles I came up with.

This includes sick babies.

LUXEMBOURG, March 18, 2009 (LifeSiteNews.com) - Luxembourg has enacted legislation to legalise euthanasia, thereby becoming the third European country, after the Netherlands and Belgium, to permit the intentional killing of dying or otherwise vulnerable people.... continued...

Plus this little tidbit.."After many years of euthanasia in the Netherlands, it has now become very apparent that the euthanasia experiment is a failure. Children born with disabilities can be killed if the doctors and the family follow the Groningen Protocol. People with chronic depression can be killed and in the last government report in 2005 it stated that 550 people were killed by euthanasia without consent."

Belgium And The Netherlands Want To Legalize Euthanasia For Children
September 10, 2004 – The politicians in Belgium and The Netherlands are currently proposing that voluntary euthanasia be allowed for children as young as 12 years of age. Belgium Senators Jeannine Leduc and Paul Wille want passage of a bill that will expand the euthanasia law to include children. These politicians claim that terminally ill children have just as much of a right to kill themselves as do adults who are suffering.

In Holland, politicians are also looking for ways to allow children to be euthanized. The International Anti-Euthanasia Task Force has resources on fighting the normalization of euthanasia in our world.

Case against euthanasia advocate struck down as unconstitutional...
:eusa_eh:
US judge dismisses charges against right-to-die leader
Sun, Mar 24, 2013 - A judge dismissed charges against the former leader of a US right-to-die group accused in the death of a Minnesota woman, ruling that the state law against advising suicide is unconstitutionally overboard.
The judge dismissed charges against Thomas Goodwin, former president of Final Exit Network. The group argued the law violates the right to freedom of speech. Last year, four members of the group were charged in the 2007 death of Doreen Dunn, who killed herself in her home. Prosecutors said the defendants provided Dunn with information and support. Dunn had suffered through a decade of intense, chronic pain after a medical procedure went wrong.

Final Exit Network is run by volunteers who believe that mentally competent adults have a basic human right to end their lives if they suffer from “fatal or irreversible illness or intractable pain” and meet other criteria, according to the group’s Web site. “We do not encourage anyone to end their life,” the Web site says. Goodwin was charged with aiding and abetting assistance of a suicide, a felony, and aiding and abetting in the interference with a death scene, a gross misdemeanor.

Final Exit members say the giving of information and emotional support could be interpreted as “encouraging” under a Minnesota law that makes it a felony for someone to intentionally assist, advise or encourage suicide. In court documents, Final Exit Network general counsel Robert Rivas wrote that while the state may bar someone from “assisting” a suicide, it is unconstitutional for the state to ban “advising” or “encouraging” a suicide — pure speech.

US judge dismisses charges against right-to-die leader - Taipei Times

There is legalized euthanasia in the state of Oregon.

And we already euthanise people without their consent in the USA. It's called the death penalty.

The thing that concerns me about legalized euthanasia is that people will be pressured into taking their own lives if they are old and/or sick and a burden on others. It will become the expected thing to do, and I think that's wrong.

Of course, in a way, we already have legalized euthanasia...suicide is not illegal. You just can't help someone else to accomplish it.

A doctor's duty, the purpose of medicine, is to reduce suffering in the world. If someone is dying a slow, agonizing death and cannot be saved, why should they not have the option of being spared that agony? even knights would grant such mercy to their enemies. Why should doctors be more cruel to their patients who request it?

If the patient agrees to it, I support legalized euthanasia

There are times death is the best result.

Looking down at the the brother I liked best being kept alive by the filthy god damned scum of the earth for money while the rest of the family bawled like nutted cattle cast a shadow upon my otherwise sunny disposition. It didn't take legal action to get the plug pulled, but my youngest brother and my sister believe I murdered him.

Fuck them. They are the sort of people whose idea of a bad day is seeing something unpleasant on the street instead of on television.

People should be able to decide how and when they want to die, the fucking government should have no input whatsoever.

We give the death of our pets more respect than we give the death of our citizens

I've known people to suffer terribly for years as financial burdens on their families mounted.

While it shouldn't be a hasty decision, I have no problem with legalizing it.

And suiciide is illegal, to a degree. Insurance companies will not pay on policies if suicide is involved. That's not fair.

I've known people to suffer terribly for years as financial burdens on their families mounted.

And suiciide is illegal, to a degree. Insurance companies will not pay on policies if suicide is involved. That's not fair.

Actually life insurance will pay out in cases of suicide if the policy has been in force for more than two years.

And suicide itself isn't really illegal because if successful there is no one to prosecute. It's more accurate to say attempted suicide is illegal.

Actually life insurance will pay out in cases of suicide if the policy has been in force for more than two years.

And suicide itself isn't really illegal because if successful there is no one to prosecute. It's more accurate to say attempted suicide is illegal.

No, attempted suicide is not illegal either. I believed t his to be the truth for years and in a discussion on a forum I was set straight. I researched it and learned that neither suicide or a failed attempt at suicide is illegal.

So people do have the choice to end their lives, they just can't get any help with doing it.

That's what concerns me...people being coaxed into choosing death because of the burden on others. Being guilt-tripped into killing themselves because of what "they are doing to their family."

That's wrong.

That's what concerns me...people being coaxed into choosing death because of the burden on others. Being guilt-tripped into killing themselves because of what "they are doing to their family."

That's wrong.

I agree. The decision should be jointly made by the terminal patient, their family and doctors

But a patient should be allowed to die with dignity on their own terms

That's wrong.

I agree. The decision should be jointly made by the terminal patient, their family and doctors

The doctor should have to do what the patient wants in end of life cases.

The final decision is in the patient's hand alone.

That's wrong.

The doctor should have to do what the patient wants in end of life cases.

The final decision is in the patient's hand alone.

Even if you have a living will, the doctors tend to ignore it

Written into Death with Dignity laws is the requirement the state's Health Department must issue annual reports of information collected during the medication request process.

Oregon's Public Health Division recently issued their 15th annual report, and consistent with all previous years, the data continue to show the law works the way it's intended: rarely used, but providing comfort to countless individuals who know they have options at the end of their lives.

Some quick facts about the usage of Oregon's law in 2012:

77 people hastened their deaths under the Oregon law.
This accounts for 0.2% of all deaths in Oregon.
The top three concerns people expressed to their doctors when requesting the medication were centered around wanting control over their final days.
Of the end-of-life concerns expressed, the least common was "financial implications of treatment."

The numbers also show people who request the medication under Oregon's law are receiving high quality end-of-life care:

97% of the people who died using Oregon's law in 2012 were enrolled in hospice. (By way of comparison, the National Hospice and Palliative Care Organization estimates 45% of deaths in the US are under the care of hospice.)
Over 97% of the people who used the law died at home.

These 15 years of statistics reiterate the facts about how Death with Dignity laws work and refute all of the opponents' fear mongering assertions. In fact, the data have been so consistent over the years, this report was published without any fanfare and attracted very little media attention. The same ol' story, it seems, is too boring to be noticed. That's unfortunate when people who disagree with a person's right to decide the manner and timing of his or her own death will continue to pitch the same myths to make their case.

Posted on January 25, 2013

Oregon's 2012 Death with Dignity Report | Death with Dignity National Center

Please re-read my first sentence. I've known people to suffer terribly for years as...

It's the patients' suffering that I put first. And I've seen suffering, I worked in nursing homes in my younger days. Until I burned out. Bedsore-covered vegetables with skin like mummies, tubes in every orifice, and no chance of improvement much less recovery... no one should be forced to rot like that.

My Dad lived to 86. He died a couple of months after having a massive heart attack. I'm not sure if it was the heart attack that actually killed him, or the fact that my sister stuck him in a nursing home. He died within two weeks of being put in the nursing home.

He lived with my sister for 13 years after having a stroke when he was 73. The stroke didn't really leave him with any impairment, but my sister got him to move in with her because she thought he needed care and supervision. Towards the end, before he even had the heart attack, my sister's husband started grumbling, and said at one point that he thought it was time for Dad to "make a trip to Oregon." This was because having him in their home really put limitations on what they could do in terms of travel, etc. But they wouldn't consider letting him come to live with me, because I would have had to deplete their inheritance by using some of Dad's money to hire home health care so I could continue to work.

THAT'S the kind of crap that concerns me. Dad wasn't even terminally ill at that time, and I hope comments like that weren't made when he could hear them. But I wonder, because when he woke up in the night with his massive heart attack, my sister was getting him ready to be medivac'd and he told her, "Just let me die!"

People can be evil, and when someone becomes a burden on them they will do things like put pressure on the person to end their lives. Especially if it were legal to have assisted suicide, I'm sure there would be a lot of old or disabled people being reminded of what a burden they are on everyone.

EVIL, pure evil.

Last edited:
^that is why everyone needs a living will. So greedy families can tell their loved one as much as they like how much of a burden they are, but because of that will, there is not a damn thing they can do about it.

Forum List

Back