social hell/a good story from abc news

actsnoblemartin

I love Andrea & April
Mar 7, 2007
San Diego, CA
Kids With Asperger's Syndrome: 'Bullied on a Daily Basis' - ABC News

Kids With Asperger's Syndrome: 'Bullied on a Daily Basis'
High-Functioning Form of Autism Causes Social Awkwardness and Angst

Growing up, Daniel Corcoran was the odd kid at school. He wasn't slow, but his coordination was off, and he tended to obsess on certain subjects, like light bulbs and air conditioners. At the time, his preoccupations with random objects seemed quirky, but harmless.

Thanks for this story. My two nephews both have a mild form of A.S. Super smart kids but rather socially inept. The younger one, 10, is eligible for MENSA membership.

Initially the schools encouraged my sister to put her kids on ADHD drugs but she refused and demanded they be tested. The psychologist was astounded at their level of intellligence. They are both in IEP's (Individualized Education Program). The bullying is more of a problem with my older nephew (12) but it's getting better.

A couple of funny stories- the 12-year old got into an argument with a classmate who refused to get out of his desk. The teacher tried to diffuse the situation and said "technically these desks belong to me". He replied "no- technically the desks belong to the school district". LOL he was sent to the principal's office.

Another time he told the principal he felt his rights were being violated. When the principal asked which rights, my nephew replied "do you have a copy of the Constitution?". The kid is a riot. :D

Thanks for posting this story. My son fits the description of Aspergers - or very nearly fits it. We're fortunate that our school district does everything it can to include these kids in the everyday stuff and to encourage the 'normal' kids to help out from early on. Our district also has 'no bully' rules in place and so far, we've never had to deal with bullying. I worry about my son being teased and taunted at any given time but . . . . life is life and you can only do so much.

Forum List

Back