Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.

Actually, Gracie, you might want to do a bit more research into how bikers came about here in America. Originally, Harley had a contract with the government during WWII to supply the Army with bikes, and when they came back from the war, because they were already familiar with the bike, that is why they bought one.

A few of them really missed the camraderie of being in the military, so they would form clubs and ride together. That is how biker gangs got started.

It wasn't until the early 60's that the 1 percenter (outlaw bikers) gangs started to form. They call themselves 1 percenters, because 99 percent of the motorcycle riders are law abiding, but the 1 percent are the outlaws. And, they are easily identified, because they have (usually), a black diamond patch that says 1%.
And....you gotta have a lot of money if you have a harley, lol, cuz they break down often. Or so my old outlaw biker pals always said.

That is only the AMF models. If you got one made before 1969, or after 1981, then it is a fairly reliable machine. I had a 1991 Sportster that I bored out to a 1200, dropped a cam kit in it, S and S carb, rejetted it, and it was dependable as all hell. Rode it from Amarillo to Sturgis SD three years in a row when I first got it and never had much of a problem.

And, if you are smart enough to use after market parts rather than Harley gear, not only is the after market stuff cheaper, it's also a hell of a lot more reliable than Harley parts are.

I remember one time, I went on a trip with a friend of mine all over Colorado for a week. We went to the top of Pikes Peak on the last day, and as we were going up the mountain, he kept looking at me and my bike. We got to the top, and I asked him why he kept staring at me halfway up the mountain. He said that his bike was fuel injected which is why it never sputtered up the mountain, but mine was a carbed engine, and he was wondering how in the hell I had tuned it to be able to ride from Amarillo to the top of Pikes Peak (elevation 14,100 feet) without sputtering a single time.

Besides....................Harleys just look good, especially if you can find the right parts to make a theme. Mine was skulls. Had one on the primary cover, one on the carb cover, handlebars, and had a skeleton arm that was flipping the bird as a kickstand. Hated it when I had to sell it. It was a good scooter.
Drove a Sportster across the country? Lol

Noob bike

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

If you buy one in the USA, it was made in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.
Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.
Has Harley shut down any American plants? have they fired any American workers? If you say so, provide links.

Harley-Davidson closing Kansas City plant as motorcycle sales fall

Next time, do your own research. I don't have time to educate Trumpetts. That job requires years of deprogramming.

LOL...you may want to educate your buddy RealDave (post #89)

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.

Actually, Gracie, you might want to do a bit more research into how bikers came about here in America. Originally, Harley had a contract with the government during WWII to supply the Army with bikes, and when they came back from the war, because they were already familiar with the bike, that is why they bought one.

A few of them really missed the camraderie of being in the military, so they would form clubs and ride together. That is how biker gangs got started.

It wasn't until the early 60's that the 1 percenter (outlaw bikers) gangs started to form. They call themselves 1 percenters, because 99 percent of the motorcycle riders are law abiding, but the 1 percent are the outlaws. And, they are easily identified, because they have (usually), a black diamond patch that says 1%.
And....you gotta have a lot of money if you have a harley, lol, cuz they break down often. Or so my old outlaw biker pals always said.

That is only the AMF models. If you got one made before 1969, or after 1981, then it is a fairly reliable machine. I had a 1991 Sportster that I bored out to a 1200, dropped a cam kit in it, S and S carb, rejetted it, and it was dependable as all hell. Rode it from Amarillo to Sturgis SD three years in a row when I first got it and never had much of a problem.

And, if you are smart enough to use after market parts rather than Harley gear, not only is the after market stuff cheaper, it's also a hell of a lot more reliable than Harley parts are.

I remember one time, I went on a trip with a friend of mine all over Colorado for a week. We went to the top of Pikes Peak on the last day, and as we were going up the mountain, he kept looking at me and my bike. We got to the top, and I asked him why he kept staring at me halfway up the mountain. He said that his bike was fuel injected which is why it never sputtered up the mountain, but mine was a carbed engine, and he was wondering how in the hell I had tuned it to be able to ride from Amarillo to the top of Pikes Peak (elevation 14,100 feet) without sputtering a single time.

Besides....................Harleys just look good, especially if you can find the right parts to make a theme. Mine was skulls. Had one on the primary cover, one on the carb cover, handlebars, and had a skeleton arm that was flipping the bird as a kickstand. Hated it when I had to sell it. It was a good scooter.

Noob bike

That "noob bike" as you call it, was capable of 130 mph. And, one year in Sturgis, I got on the dyno drag machine against a bigger bike than mine, and I smoked his ass 3 runs in a row. Went down to the convention center the next day to look at gear, and asked a vendor what he had for a Sportster to increase speed. He showed me a really nice blower kit, and said that he just had another dude looking for speed as well. It seems that the dude whose scooter I blew away the night before had been there a bit earlier, bitching about the little guy on a Sporty that blew his doors off. Also had guys that I rode with here in Amarillo who would try to drop me, and when I kept up, they just looked at me and my bike, and then told me they didn't know what kind of bike I had, but it damn sure wasn't a Sporty.

On that same trip to CO that I talked about earlier, Dano and I shacked up with a woman in Salida who wanted to go to breakfast in Pueblo. Dano wasn't interested, but I talked him into it. She got on the back of my bike, and Dano (who had a big twin), tried to drop me. We were doing 110 mph all the way down the freeway at around 3:00 am.

And, if you look hard enough, you can get things to make your bike look better. I had an extended rear fender, 11 inch shocks, solid rear wheel, and a 21 inch chrome front wheel, with full sized big twin tanks. You can get a conversion kit that allows you to mount big twin tanks on a Sportster frame.

Sometimes people would stare at my bike, then jump back in shock and yell "Holy Shit! That isn't a big twin, it's a freaking Sportster!"

And the sound of a Harley is awesome to boot.

Noob bike

That "noob bike" as you call it, was capable of 130 mph. And, one year in Sturgis, I got on the dyno drag machine against a bigger bike than mine, and I smoked his ass 3 runs in a row. Went down to the convention center the next day to look at gear, and asked a vendor what he had for a Sportster to increase speed. He showed me a really nice blower kit, and said that he just had another dude looking for speed as well. It seems that the dude whose scooter I blew away the night before had been there a bit earlier, bitching about the little guy on a Sporty that blew his doors off. Also had guys that I rode with here in Amarillo who would try to drop me, and when I kept up, they just looked at me and my bike, and then told me they didn't know what kind of bike I had, but it damn sure wasn't a Sporty.

On that same trip to CO that I talked about earlier, Dano and I shacked up with a woman in Salida who wanted to go to breakfast in Pueblo. Dano wasn't interested, but I talked him into it. She got on the back of my bike, and Dano (who had a big twin), tried to drop me. We were doing 110 mph all the way down the freeway at around 3:00 am.

And, if you look hard enough, you can get things to make your bike look better. I had an extended rear fender, 11 inch shocks, solid rear wheel, and a 21 inch chrome front wheel, with full sized big twin tanks. You can get a conversion kit that allows you to mount big twin tanks on a Sportster frame.

Sometimes people would stare at my bike, then jump back in shock and yell "Holy Shit! That isn't a big twin, it's a freaking Sportster!"
You can trick out a VW Bug too, but it is still a VW Bug lol

Had Vance and Hines pipes that had removable baffles. If I left the baffles in? It idled at around 85 decibles. Take out the baffles? Went to 104 decibles and would piss off the neighbors.

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. after EU tariffs
Harley has been in decline for YEARS. Well before Trump came along. They are desperately trying to remain relevant in a hipster market.

3/10 on spin effort

Making more excuses for the dumbass you put in the Oval Office. He is why these jobs are going overseas.

Ok, Einstein, I'm sure you did a "smidgen" of research before posting a stupid comment.
Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter 2017 Results

Why Harley-Davidson isn't high on the hog

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...y-davidson-to-cut-u-s-manufacturing-jobs.html

Look, buttbrearth, i said nothing about how HD is doing.

It doesn't matter. Jobs are going overseas as a DIRECT RESULT of yet another stupid shit thing Trump has done.

MAGA baby MAGA hahahahahaha

Had Vance and Hines pipes that had removable baffles. If I left the baffles in? It idled at around 85 decibles. Take out the baffles? Went to 104 decibles and would piss off the neighbors.
40 years ago..the guys I hung out with didn't give a shit about the neighbors, lol.

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley has been in decline for YEARS. Well before Trump came along. They are desperately trying to remain relevant in a hipster market.

3/10 on spin effort

Making more excuses for the dumbass you put in the Oval Office. He is why these jobs are going overseas.

Ok, Einstein, I'm sure you did a "smidgen" of research before posting a stupid comment.
Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter 2017 Results

Why Harley-Davidson isn't high on the hog

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...y-davidson-to-cut-u-s-manufacturing-jobs.html

Look, buttbrearth, i said nothing about how HD is doing.

It doesn't matter. Jobs are going overseas as a DIRECT RESULT of yet another stupid shit thing Trump has done.

MAGA baby MAGA hahahahahaha

And if you had done a "smidgen" of research, you probably wouldn't have made such a stupid comment.

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

If you buy one in the USA, it was made in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.
Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.
Has Harley shut down any American plants? have they fired any American workers? If you say so, provide links.

Next time, do your own research. I don't have time to educate Trumpetts. That job requires years of deprogramming.
Next time you need to do better research. That announcement (to close the plant in 2019) was made before the tariffs were announced.

Nice try! No cigar!

3/10 on spin effort

I didn't vote for Trump but that is irrelevant. I GAVE YOU THE FACTS and you ignored them. Harley Davidson can not sell motorcycles to today's youth like they used to. Relying only on an aging population is stupid. The cost to build here vs there is fairly equal. However the cost to ship is outrageous. They are TRYING to remain relevant. It is that simple.

I think of the fact Gibson guitars just went under. Same deal. If you don't have a growing market, you cannot survive. I'm pissed that Harley blamed the tariffs though, that's a weak cop out. Poor leadership of a company who can't maintain a market shouldn't be blamed on Trump because they conveniently make an announcement (notice, I didn't say decision) the a or two after the tariffs.

America is a big, vital economy, not one bloody company. I didn't like this, I think it's weak leadership who try to pass the buck and the alt-left media and people who want the Status Quo jump on it.

I advise all democrats to run on the success that NAFTA has been in the United States. I would bring it up as much as possible, especially in the rust belt.
In the years since NAFTA, U.S. trade with its North American neighbors has more than tripled, growing more rapidly than U.S. trade with the rest of the world. Canada and Mexico are the two largest destinations for U.S. exports, accounting for more than a third of the total. Most estimates conclude that the deal had a modest but positive impact on U.S. GDP of less than 0.5 percent, or a total addition of up to $80 billion dollars to the U.S. economy upon full implementation, or several billion dollars of added growth per year.

Such upsides of trade often escape notice, because while the costs are highly concentrated in specific industries like auto manufacturing, the benefits of a deal like NAFTA are distributed widely across society. Supporters of NAFTA estimate that some fourteen million jobs rely on trade with Canada and Mexico, while the nearly two hundred thousand export-related jobs created annually by the pact pay 15 to 20 percent more on average than the jobs that were lost.

NAFTA’s Economic Impact

Yes, I am advising all Dem candidates in the rust belt to have "I love NAFTA" bumper stickers made up. As popular as NAFTA is in the mid west, that should assure a Dem sweep!

The bottom line is these tariffs were supposed to create more jobs. Here is an example of jobs leaving. Tariff fail.

It begins. Wait until farmers in Trump country start seeing the bottom drop out of their bottom line. They will scream bloody murder and demand government handouts to make up the difference.

Yes we once again, as always, get to see Republicans destroy the economy. They've grown exceedingly good at it.

Just a few facts that were missed... Maybe they don't mean anything at all.

Harley already has three assembly plants overseas.

European sales make up a whole 16% of Harley sales.

Just sayin....

The bottom line is these tariffs were supposed to create more jobs. Here is an example of jobs leaving. Tariff fail.
The bottom line is Harley has been struggling for a few years and they attempted to pin their struggles on Trump and the willing uninformed lemmings fell for it.

Quite embarrassing

:CryingCow:

The bottom line is Harley has been struggling for a few years and they attempted to pin their struggles on Trump and the willing uninformed lemmings fell for it.

Quite embarrassing
Lost jobs. The opposite of what these tariffs are supposed to do.

Next time you need to do better research. That announcement (to close the plant in 2019) was made before the tariffs were announced.

Nice try! No cigar!

And, yet, Trump has been talking tariffs for 2 years, and Europe specifically said that Harley, jeans, whiskey, and several other retaliations would be made over a year ago, if Trump goes through with it. Regardless, Harley is not going to open an other plant in the US, as long as the Loose Cannon in Chief is in charge. My best guess is that Trump will not be holding one of his rally's at Harley anymore.

Forum List

Back