Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

That sucks. Not sure if I want a Harley that is not built in America.

Read up on Harley's history sometime. AMF bought out Harley way back in the day, and for a while, most of their bikes were made overseas. When Harley bought themselves back from AMF and started building them here again, well..........among "real" Harley riders, if you have an AMF Harley, you are just barely better than the rice rocket riders.

Owners Recall Harley-Davidson’s AMF Years - Ride CT & Ride New England

It was arguably the worst period in Harley-Davidson’s history. Decades later, the “AMF years” between 1969 and 1981 are remembered not-so-fondly by many of the brand’s loyalists as a time when build quality and reliability deteriorated. Buy it new, fix it immediately was the routine for Harley-Davidson customers, especially in the mid-1970s.
And this has what to do with the subject?

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.

Actually, Gracie, you might want to do a bit more research into how bikers came about here in America. Originally, Harley had a contract with the government during WWII to supply the Army with bikes, and when they came back from the war, because they were already familiar with the bike, that is why they bought one.

A few of them really missed the camraderie of being in the military, so they would form clubs and ride together. That is how biker gangs got started.

It wasn't until the early 60's that the 1 percenter (outlaw bikers) gangs started to form. They call themselves 1 percenters, because 99 percent of the motorcycle riders are law abiding, but the 1 percent are the outlaws. And, they are easily identified, because they have (usually), a black diamond patch that says 1%.

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. after EU tariffs
Harley has been in decline for YEARS. Well before Trump came along. They are desperately trying to remain relevant in a hipster market.

3/10 on spin effort

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley has been in decline for YEARS. Well before Trump came along. They are desperately trying to remain relevant in a hipster market.

3/10 on spin effort

Making more excuses for the dumbass you put in the Oval Office. He is why these jobs are going overseas.

3/10 on spin effort

Making more excuses for the dumbass you put in the Oval Office. He is why these jobs are going overseas.
I didn't vote for Trump but that is irrelevant. I GAVE YOU THE FACTS and you ignored them. Harley Davidson can not sell motorcycles to today's youth like they used to. Relying only on an aging population is stupid. The cost to build here vs there is fairly equal. However the cost to ship is outrageous. They are TRYING to remain relevant. It is that simple.

Look at the morons writhe because companies that have been exploiting the US to cover their own bad business practices are taking their toys and going home.
Trump regurgitator.

Have has the US been taken advantage of?

3/10 on spin effort

I didn't vote for Trump but that is irrelevant. I GAVE YOU THE FACTS and you ignored them. Harley Davidson can not sell motorcycles to today's youth like they used to. Relying only on an aging population is stupid. The cost to build here vs there is fairly equal. However the cost to ship is outrageous. They are TRYING to remain relevant. It is that simple.[/QUOTE

Trump is the reason those jobs are going overseas.

3/10 on spin effort

Ok, Einstein, I'm sure you did a "smidgen" of research before posting a stupid comment.
Harley-Davidson Announces Second Quarter 2017 Results

Why Harley-Davidson isn't high on the hog

https://www.bizjournals.com/milwauk...y-davidson-to-cut-u-s-manufacturing-jobs.html

You do realize that according to the news article you posted.
The HD motorcycles to be built overseas are for the European market.

"The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs."

So you have no need to worry about buying a HD not made in the U.S.

Although, it's hard for me to imagine a panty waist liberal like you riding a Harley? .... :lol: :lol:

Do you realize that those bikes were made here then shipped to Europe?

Do you realize that Americans were making those bikes?

Do you realize that all those American jobs will be lost? Not just at Harley Davidson but all their suppliers will lose money and jobs.

Wasn't the point of the tariffs to help American manufacturers and save American jobs?

This does the opposite of what trump promised would happen and what he promised he would stop from happening.

I know you all want to reverse everything that Obama did but it's stupid to reverse a good economy.

How's all that winning going for you?

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.

Actually, Gracie, you might want to do a bit more research into how bikers came about here in America. Originally, Harley had a contract with the government during WWII to supply the Army with bikes, and when they came back from the war, because they were already familiar with the bike, that is why they bought one.

A few of them really missed the camraderie of being in the military, so they would form clubs and ride together. That is how biker gangs got started.

It wasn't until the early 60's that the 1 percenter (outlaw bikers) gangs started to form. They call themselves 1 percenters, because 99 percent of the motorcycle riders are law abiding, but the 1 percent are the outlaws. And, they are easily identified, because they have (usually), a black diamond patch that says 1%.
And....you gotta have a lot of money if you have a harley, lol, cuz they break down often. Or so my old outlaw biker pals always said.

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

If you buy one in the USA, it was made in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.
Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.
Has Harley shut down any American plants? have they fired any American workers? If you say so, provide links.

Harley-Davidson closing Kansas City plant as motorcycle sales fall

Next time, do your own research. I don't have time to educate Trumpetts. That job requires years of deprogramming.

They suck anyway. Who fucking cares.

They are to build motorcycles abroad that are destined to be delivered to customers in Europe. These motorcycles will not be sold in the USA.

Whereas, before Trump, if you bought a Harley anywhere in the world, it was made in the USA.
Doesn't matter anymore. If you buy a foreign badge car made in the USA, you are still sending the profits to a foreign country. The same applies to Harleys.

the bottom line is that Trump's trade war convinced Harley to build in Europe, and American jobs were lost.
Has Harley shut down any American plants? have they fired any American workers? If you say so, provide links.

Next time, do your own research. I don't have time to educate Trumpetts. That job requires years of deprogramming.

Lol, years indeed.

FAIL

That has nothing to do with tariffs

And....you gotta have a lot of money if you have a harley, lol, cuz they break down often. Or so my old outlaw biker pals always said.

That is only the AMF models. If you got one made before 1969, or after 1981, then it is a fairly reliable machine. I had a 1991 Sportster that I bored out to a 1200, dropped a cam kit in it, S and S carb, rejetted it, and it was dependable as all hell. Rode it from Amarillo to Sturgis SD three years in a row when I first got it and never had much of a problem.

And, if you are smart enough to use after market parts rather than Harley gear, not only is the after market stuff cheaper, it's also a hell of a lot more reliable than Harley parts are.

I remember one time, I went on a trip with a friend of mine all over Colorado for a week. We went to the top of Pikes Peak on the last day, and as we were going up the mountain, he kept looking at me and my bike. We got to the top, and I asked him why he kept staring at me halfway up the mountain. He said that his bike was fuel injected which is why it never sputtered up the mountain, but mine was a carbed engine, and he was wondering how in the hell I had tuned it to be able to ride from Amarillo to the top of Pikes Peak (elevation 14,100 feet) without sputtering a single time.

Besides....................Harleys just look good, especially if you can find the right parts to make a theme. Mine was skulls. Had one on the primary cover, one on the carb cover, handlebars, and had a skeleton arm that was flipping the bird as a kickstand. Hated it when I had to sell it. It was a good scooter.

Forum List

Back