Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. in big Trump-tariff fail

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.

This is what you get when you elect an ignorant person as President. who thinks he is the greatest businessman of all time & knows more than anyone else. He put of tariffs on steel & aluminum.

Other countries retaliated.

Two stories.

I was sent an order by one of my customers in Mexico. They wanted the same price as I shipped earlier this year. I had to jack up the price by 11% because of Trump's tariffs. Some of the raw materials are just not produced here in this country much anymore. So, will the order still stand at the higher price or will I get beat out by a Canadian or European competitor?

I live not to far from the Harley Davidson plant in York. They just announce they are shifting some manufacturing to an overseas plant to get around the EU's retaliatory tariff on motorcycles. Layoff coming to York. Jobs for the EU.

Trump is such an ass. He put no thought into what would happen. He was warned but nooooooooooooooo no one knows more than Donald Trump. Nooooooooooooooooo.

It's all about his base. The whole photo op thing that Trump did with Harley Davidson last year was to appeal to his redneck base.
He doesn't think before he acts. Everything is impulse and compulsion. He's a fucking sociopath.
Are you trying to say only Rednecks ride Harley's ?

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. after EU tariffs
Harley-Davidson aren't real Americans.

Donald Trump is the only real American in the whooooooooooole world.

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson
And if they do....they can color their motorcyles no longer wanted because the term MADE IN AMERICA is why veterans began to buy them and become bad boys on bikes.
They will still sell Made In America Harleys.

The ones which will be built overseas are for overseas customers, and will be built by filthy foreigners instead of Merkans.

Remember when Trump said he was going to help Harley Davidson in 2017?
Trump Welcomes Harley-Davidson in Latest White House Session

Well, that's backfired because of the trade war he's started.

"Harley-Davidson said on Monday that European Union tariffs on its motorcycles had increased to 31 percent, from 6 percent. It estimated that the higher tariffs would add about $2,200 on average to every motorcycle exported from the United States to the bloc, so it said it would move the production of bikes bound for Europe outside the United States."""""

Harley-Davidson to Move Some Production From U.S. Because of E.U. Tariffs
Ooops. But maybe in the long run, the big picture, it will be worth it? I hear Germany "caved" on its cars? I'm no economics expert, but this is Trump's strategy.
Yeah. Strategy:auiqs.jpg:

I advise all democrats to run on the success that NAFTA has been in the United States. I would bring it up as much as possible, especially in the rust belt.

I'm keeping an eye on YouTube for the videos of protesting conservatives smashing up their Harleys.

I advise all democrats to run on the success that NAFTA has been in the United States. I would bring it up as much as possible, especially in the rust belt.
In the years since NAFTA, U.S. trade with its North American neighbors has more than tripled, growing more rapidly than U.S. trade with the rest of the world. Canada and Mexico are the two largest destinations for U.S. exports, accounting for more than a third of the total. Most estimates conclude that the deal had a modest but positive impact on U.S. GDP of less than 0.5 percent, or a total addition of up to $80 billion dollars to the U.S. economy upon full implementation, or several billion dollars of added growth per year.

Such upsides of trade often escape notice, because while the costs are highly concentrated in specific industries like auto manufacturing, the benefits of a deal like NAFTA are distributed widely across society. Supporters of NAFTA estimate that some fourteen million jobs rely on trade with Canada and Mexico, while the nearly two hundred thousand export-related jobs created annually by the pact pay 15 to 20 percent more on average than the jobs that were lost.

NAFTA’s Economic Impact

Trump's tariffs have resulted in European retaliation against (among others) Harley-Davidson, which is feeling stung by the move and it now plans to shift production overseas. Layoffs and/or US plant closures are likely.

Silly me, I thought Making America Great Again was the opposite of bringing jobs overseas.

The good news is that Trump will probably cave and backtrack on his tariffs in the near future, while pretending to have gotten some sort kick-ass deal with the rest of the world.
Harley-Davidson to move some motorcycle production out of U.S. after EU tariffs

Harley-Davidson should do whatever is in the best interest of their shareholders

You mean the 3.8% unemployment and the 107 straight months of economic expansion (the 2nd longest in our history) and the fact there are more jobs than people to fill them?

That success?

Since the day that Trump first started tweeting about a trade war and tariffs the DJI has lost 1634 points.

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

That sucks. Not sure if I want a Harley that is not built in America.

Read up on Harley's history sometime. AMF bought out Harley way back in the day, and for a while, most of their bikes were made overseas. When Harley bought themselves back from AMF and started building them here again, well..........among "real" Harley riders, if you have an AMF Harley, you are just barely better than the rice rocket riders.

Owners Recall Harley-Davidson’s AMF Years - Ride CT & Ride New England

It was arguably the worst period in Harley-Davidson’s history. Decades later, the “AMF years” between 1969 and 1981 are remembered not-so-fondly by many of the brand’s loyalists as a time when build quality and reliability deteriorated. Buy it new, fix it immediately was the routine for Harley-Davidson customers, especially in the mid-1970s.

You do realize that according to the news article you posted.
The HD motorcycles to be built overseas are for the European market.

"The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs."

So you have no need to worry about buying a HD not made in the U.S.

Although, it's hard for me to imagine a panty waist liberal like you riding a Harley? .... :lol: :lol:
Liz Taylor owned a Harley and so did Cher. I guess Cher can kick your panty waist fascist ass.
10 Celebrities and Their Harleys - Hdforums
Owning a Harley and riding a Harley are not the same.

Exactly. I used to have a sticker on my skid lid that said "18 grand and 18 miles don't make you a biker."

'President Donald Trump's trade policy is backfiring on Harley-Davidson.
The company is shifting some production of motorcycles for European customers out of the United States to avoid EU retaliatory tariffs.

It's some of the most direct evidence yet that tit-for-tat trade fights between the United States and other countries have consequences for American companies. Harley-Davidson said it stood to lose as much as $100 million a year.

"Increasing international production to alleviate the EU tariff burden is not the company's preference, but represents the only sustainable option," Harley-Davidson said in a regulatory filing on Monday.

The EU began imposing tariffs Friday on $3.2 billion worth of American goods, including motorcycles, orange juice, bourbon, peanut butter, motorboats, cigarettes and denim. They are a response to the Trump administration's tariffs on steel and aluminum imports from Europe.

For motorcycles, the EU raised its 6% tariff to 31%. That will make each bike about $2,200 more expensive to export, Harley said.

Harley is not raising bike prices for customers or retailers.'

Harley-Davidson will move some production out of US after retaliatory tariffs

Read up on Harley's history sometime. AMF bought out Harley way back in the day, and for a while, most of their bikes were made overseas. When Harley bought themselves back from AMF and started building them here again, well..........among "real" Harley riders, if you have an AMF Harley, you are just barely better than the rice rocket riders.

Owners Recall Harley-Davidson’s AMF Years - Ride CT & Ride New England

It was arguably the worst period in Harley-Davidson’s history. Decades later, the “AMF years” between 1969 and 1981 are remembered not-so-fondly by many of the brand’s loyalists as a time when build quality and reliability deteriorated. Buy it new, fix it immediately was the routine for Harley-Davidson customers, especially in the mid-1970s.
That is why there were so many garage choppers being built at home during this period, of course, I joined in with a 1966 Honda 90 scooter..They are starting to sell those again in 2019 I still want a new one.

Forum List

Back