Zone1 Happy Birthday to John Lithgow...............

True story:

It's November of 2011, and I'm having dinner with my boss and a friend of his in Little Italy in Manhattan. It was snowing lightly and very, very cold outside. The restaurant had a front dining room, where we were, and then a rear dining room, accessed through the kitchen, for VIPS, etc.

The front door to the restaurant opens and this strikingly beautiful woman comes strutting through, taking off a fur coat as she heads for the kitchen. Walking behind her, removing his peacoat as he tried to catch up to her, was none other than Christopher Walken.

We thought that was pretty cool, and figured we now had a cool New York City story to tell.

My boss had to return to San Diego the next morning, so he went back to his hotel. I would be spending a couple of more days in Manhattan, so I opted to take the subway up to Times Square and take some night pictures of the neon, etc.

I get off the train a couple blocks from Times Square and start walking. I get to Times Square and, there in all its glory, is the Marriott Marquis. I had to take a leak, so I figured there would be no finer place in Times Square for me to do that, so away I went.

You actually have to go up two or three escalators to get to the lobby, which is where the restrooms are. I walk to the men's room, open the door and step up to a urinal. After only about five or six seconds the men's room door opens, and a rather tall gentleman steps up the urinal next to mine, unzips and starts relieving himself.

It was John Lithgow.

I should point out that there are two rules of men's room usage which are absolutely etched in stone. You simply don't break these rules. First, you never occupy the urinal next to an occupied urinal unless that's not possible. There were eight urinals and only one other guy taking a leak when Lithgow walked in. Second, you never, ever, speak to the guy occupying an adjacent urinal.

But, I figured "fuck it", he broke the rules, well, so will I.

"Hey, man, how's it going? Big fan."

"It's going well, thank you."

I zip up and head towards the sinks: "Have a good night."

"Take it easy, man."

dff864180.jpg
618677319.jpg

Forum List

Back