H&R Block snuck language into a Senate bill to make taxes more confusing for poor people

David_42

Registered Democrat.
Aug 9, 2015
Before y'all try to blame obama: (Regardless, this is ridiculous.)
H&R Block's entire business model is premised on taxes being confusing and hard to file. So, naturally, the tax preparation company has become — along with Intuit, the company behind TurboTax — one of the loudest voices on Capitol Hill arguing against measures that make it easier to pay taxes. For example, the Obama administration has pushed forautomatic tax filing, in which the IRS uses income information it already has to fill out your tax return for you. That would save millions of Americans considerable time and energy every year, but the idea has gone nowhere. The main reason? Lobbying from H&R Block and Intuit.

But H&R Block's latest lobbying effort is even more loathsome than its opposition to automatic filing. At the company's instigation, the Senate Appropriations Committee haspassed a funding bill covering the IRS whose accompanying report instructs the agency to at least quadruple the length of the form that taxpayers fill out to get the Earned Income Tax Credit.

The EITC is awesome, and this makes it harder to get
eitc.png

IRS via United Way South Carolina

An old IRS ad for the EITC.

It is hard to adequately express how despicable this is. The EITC is one of America's premier anti-poverty programs. It targets poor families specifically, and because you have to work to get it, countless studies have found it encourages single mothers and other people without much connection to the labor market to enter the workforce. The Census Bureau estimates that it and the related Child Tax Credit keep 9.4 million people out of poverty every year, andrecent research suggests that when you take into account the people the EITC brings into the workforce, the real number is probably twice that. If that weren't enough, it also boosts test scores for kids in families receiving it and improves both parents' and children's health.

The EITC is awesome.

But because it offers refunds for people who otherwise don't make enough to file taxes, the EITC expands the market for parasitic tax prep companies like H&R Block and Intuit. Currently, recipients only have to fill out a single-page form, and the IRS operates free tax preparation centers for low-income people having trouble completing their returns. But that hasn't stopped commercial tax preparers from swooping in, and currently two-thirds of EITC claimants pay to have their returns prepared. Commercial preparerscharge hundreds of dollars in fees, so a huge chunk of EITC benefits are going to these useless garbage companies, rather than to actual poor people. Preparers also used to offer high-interest "refund anticipation loans," which were even more costly; regulators have pushed those out of existence, but similar "refund anticipation checks" remain.

Schedule EIC, the form that EITC recipients fill out, from one page to four or five. The proposal, included in the recently passed Senate Appropriations bill, adds a battery of questions regarding eligibility ("Is the taxpayer's investment income more than $3,350?"; "Is the taxpayer's filing status married filing jointly?") currently included in a form that tax preparers have to fill out. The idea is to force tax preparers to double-check their work; most EITC errors are the fault of incompetent tax preparers, not individuals. But adding the questions to the individual return makes no sense, as they're already answered elsewhere. The return will obviously already state if the taxpayer is married filing jointly, for instance.

There is no good policy rationale for this change. H&R Block CEO William C. Booth hasattempted to justify it as a way to reduce improper payments, but there's little reason to think it would have that effect. Again, taxpayers already have to supply all this information, and the real misreporting problem is from paid preparers like H&R Block, not individuals. A recent IRS study found EITC-claiming returns from paid preparers were more likely to result in overpayments than self-filed returns. That's right: People who fill out taxes for a living are, on average, worse at it than taxpayers who do it themselves (and, by the way, the IRS's volunteers do a better job than anybody).

The only possible reason to change the form, then, is to confuse taxpayers enough that even more of them will pay companies like H&R Block to prepare their returns.

Other low-income families will just not bother to claim the credit at all if this policy takes effect. "Were this directive implemented," Robert Greenstein of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities writes in a piece decrying the proposed change, "no one should be surprised to see large numbers of individuals who now file their own returns either giving up and not claiming the EITC due to the added complexity or turning to paid preparers, who could charge hundreds of dollars for their services."
H&R Block snuck language into a Senate bill to make taxes more confusing for poor people

The tax code is around 70,000 pages now. Ridiculous. Nothing that convoluted is any good for citizens.

The IRS wants to make up tax information and automatically file your taxes for you.

What could possibly go wrong with that?

You can have the IRS prepare your taxes for you now. For years I had an ultra simple return with no itemized deductions.

I signed a blank return, stapled my W-2 to it, sent it in and waited for my refund.

You can have the IRS prepare your taxes for you now. For years I had an ultra simple return with no itemized deductions.

I signed a blank return, stapled my W-2 to it, sent it in and waited for my refund.

refund?..that must be nice.

You would shoot yourself if you had to get by on what these people make.

try again..I'm not fluent in obtuse.
I am calling you a self-entitled prick who has no idea what actual poverty is like, plain enough for you? And you are nothing but obtuse.

I am calling you a self-entitled prick who has no idea what actual poverty is like, plain enough for you? And you are nothing but obtuse.

So? there will always be successful people and some not as successful..and some just won't make it...That's life. I'm not jealous or hate wealthy people because of their successes..That's the difference between us...that and I don't call you names...

So? there will always be successful people and some not as successful..and some just won't make it...That's life. I'm not jealous or hate wealthy people because of their successes..That's the difference between us...that and I don't call you names...
Shove your social Darwinism right up there next to your brain.

What's the alternative? "redistribution"?

"Trickle down" must be made to work somehow.

What does that have to do with our "conversation". Why are you trying to change the subject?

What does that have to do with our "conversation". Why are you trying to change the subject?
You are the one that brought up "redistribution" AKA our progressive tax system AKA the only way wealth actually flows all the way down to the bottom.

You are the one that brought up "redistribution" AKA our progressive tax system AKA the only way wealth actually flows all the way down to the bottom.

I asked you a question if you thought redistribution was the way you preferred to achieve this "level playing field" because you kept dodging and trying to change the subject.. Now you're evading again and being disingenuous.....

You also said I was a "social darwinist". I was wondering..is that the new cool progressive term for "real life"?

You're too dishonest to continue trying to have an adult discussion with.

I asked you a question if you thought redistribution was the way you preferred to achieve this "level playing field" because you kept dodging and trying to change the subject.. Now you're evading again and being disingenuous.....

You also said I was a "social darwinist". I was wondering..is that the new cool progressive term for "real life"?

You're too dishonest to continue trying to have an adult discussion with.
Whatever, trying to have conversation with you is like trying to catch a greased pig.

Before y'all try to blame obama: (Regardless, this is ridiculous.)
H&R Block's entire business model is premised on taxes being confusing and hard to file. So, naturally, the tax preparation company has become — along with Intuit, the company behind TurboTax — one of the loudest voices on Capitol Hill arguing against measures that make it easier to pay taxes. For example, the Obama administration has pushed forautomatic tax filing, in which the IRS uses income information it already has to fill out your tax return for you. That would save millions of Americans considerable time and energy every year, but the idea has gone nowhere. The main reason? Lobbying from H&R Block and Intuit.

But H&R Block's latest lobbying effort is even more loathsome than its opposition to automatic filing. At the company's instigation, the Senate Appropriations Committee haspassed a funding bill covering the IRS whose accompanying report instructs the agency to at least quadruple the length of the form that taxpayers fill out to get the Earned Income Tax Credit.

The EITC is awesome, and this makes it harder to get
eitc.png

IRS via United Way South Carolina

An old IRS ad for the EITC.

It is hard to adequately express how despicable this is. The EITC is one of America's premier anti-poverty programs. It targets poor families specifically, and because you have to work to get it, countless studies have found it encourages single mothers and other people without much connection to the labor market to enter the workforce. The Census Bureau estimates that it and the related Child Tax Credit keep 9.4 million people out of poverty every year, andrecent research suggests that when you take into account the people the EITC brings into the workforce, the real number is probably twice that. If that weren't enough, it also boosts test scores for kids in families receiving it and improves both parents' and children's health.

The EITC is awesome.

But because it offers refunds for people who otherwise don't make enough to file taxes, the EITC expands the market for parasitic tax prep companies like H&R Block and Intuit. Currently, recipients only have to fill out a single-page form, and the IRS operates free tax preparation centers for low-income people having trouble completing their returns. But that hasn't stopped commercial tax preparers from swooping in, and currently two-thirds of EITC claimants pay to have their returns prepared. Commercial preparerscharge hundreds of dollars in fees, so a huge chunk of EITC benefits are going to these useless garbage companies, rather than to actual poor people. Preparers also used to offer high-interest "refund anticipation loans," which were even more costly; regulators have pushed those out of existence, but similar "refund anticipation checks" remain.

Schedule EIC, the form that EITC recipients fill out, from one page to four or five. The proposal, included in the recently passed Senate Appropriations bill, adds a battery of questions regarding eligibility ("Is the taxpayer's investment income more than $3,350?"; "Is the taxpayer's filing status married filing jointly?") currently included in a form that tax preparers have to fill out. The idea is to force tax preparers to double-check their work; most EITC errors are the fault of incompetent tax preparers, not individuals. But adding the questions to the individual return makes no sense, as they're already answered elsewhere. The return will obviously already state if the taxpayer is married filing jointly, for instance.

There is no good policy rationale for this change. H&R Block CEO William C. Booth hasattempted to justify it as a way to reduce improper payments, but there's little reason to think it would have that effect. Again, taxpayers already have to supply all this information, and the real misreporting problem is from paid preparers like H&R Block, not individuals. A recent IRS study found EITC-claiming returns from paid preparers were more likely to result in overpayments than self-filed returns. That's right: People who fill out taxes for a living are, on average, worse at it than taxpayers who do it themselves (and, by the way, the IRS's volunteers do a better job than anybody).

The only possible reason to change the form, then, is to confuse taxpayers enough that even more of them will pay companies like H&R Block to prepare their returns.

Other low-income families will just not bother to claim the credit at all if this policy takes effect. "Were this directive implemented," Robert Greenstein of the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities writes in a piece decrying the proposed change, "no one should be surprised to see large numbers of individuals who now file their own returns either giving up and not claiming the EITC due to the added complexity or turning to paid preparers, who could charge hundreds of dollars for their services."

H&R Block is a dirty outfit.

Forum List

Back