1975 H&R Model 929 .22 Cal. Pistol

JGalt

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2011
I found this little beauty at a garage sale today. It's a 1975 Harrington & Richardson Model 929 9-shot .22 caliber revolver with a 2-1/2" barrel, and in dead mint condition. I asked the old man having the sale if he had any guns he wanted to part with, and he brought this out. I asked him what he had to have to part with it and he said "How much would you give"? I said "How about $30?, and he said "sure." He also had a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 and some pistol in .380, but didn't want to part with them.

The pistol is dated 1975 and the asking price on the gunbroker auction site can be as high as $699.00, but they never bring that much. Some people tend to put a ridiculously-high asking price on their fixed-price auctions. They usually get bid up to about $230 at auction. I just tried it out on some steel targets out back. Even with the 2-1/2" barrel, it can consistently hit the 4" target at 20 yards. H&R makes a decent low-priced .22 pistol, and the longer-barreled versions are favored by coon hunters.

hr1.jpg

hr2.jpg

hr3.jpg

h4.jpg

If you can live with the trigger pull they are great/robust .22 revolvers.

I see that one has the thin front sight blade.....It's thin for a reason.

If the windage is off it was thin so you could bend it in the direction it needed to go. Just remember if POA is off to the right you bend it left. ;)

Speaking of how expensive H&R revolvers are I bought a 4" H&R 999 for $214.00 several months back and sold it for $599.00.....I was almost embarrassed to ask that much....Almost. ;)

hr-003-2-jpg.743383

I saw another 999 (1st model) the other day for $225.00, it was right rough but solid. I bet anything I could still get $450.00 for it but I had other fish to fry. If it's still there next week I might pick it up.

Years ago I had one similar to yours (632 NIB) but you had to pull the cylinder pin to both load it and poke the empties out with a stick, but I sold it for $400.00.....Crazy.

It looked like this....They were called pull-pin revolvers.

R.4b00883c26ed3b261d608e97cc95e9e9

If you can live with the trigger pull they are great/robust .22 revolvers.

I see that one has the thin front sight blade.....It's thin for a reason.

If the windage is off it was thin so you could bend it in the direction it needed to go. Just remember if POA is off to the right you bend it left. ;)

That I have down to an artform. The windage adjustment with an adjustable a front sight is just the opposite of onje on a rear sight. If you want to move the point of impact to the left, you move the front sight to the right, like on the front sight of an AK-47.

I found this little beauty at a garage sale today. It's a 1975 Harrington & Richardson Model 929 9-shot .22 caliber revolver with a 2-1/2" barrel, and in dead mint condition. I asked the old man having the sale if he had any guns he wanted to part with, and he brought this out. I asked him what he had to have to part with it and he said "How much would you give"? I said "How about $30?, and he said "sure." He also had a Winchester Model 94 in 30-30 and some pistol in .380, but didn't want to part with them.

The pistol is dated 1975 and the asking price on the gunbroker auction site can be as high as $699.00, but they never bring that much. Some people tend to put a ridiculously-high asking price on their fixed-price auctions. They usually get bid up to about $230 at auction. I just tried it out on some steel targets out back. Even with the 2-1/2" barrel, it can consistently hit the 4" target at 20 yards. H&R makes a decent low-priced .22 pistol, and the longer-barreled versions are favored by coon hunters.

View attachment 780564

View attachment 780565
View attachment 780566
View attachment 780567
I have an H&R .22/.22 Mag. It is a nice gun.

Speaking of how expensive H&R revolvers are I bought a 4" H&R 999 for $214.00 several months back and sold it for $599.00.....I was almost embarrassed to ask that much....Almost. ;)

hr-003-2-jpg.743383

I saw another 999 (1st model) the other day for $225.00, it was right rough but solid. I bet anything I could still get $450.00 for it but I had other fish to fry. If it's still there next week I might pick it up.

Years ago I had one similar to yours (632 NIB) but you had to pull the cylinder pin to both load it and poke the empties out with a stick, but I sold it for $400.00.....Crazy.

It looked like this....They were called pull-pin revolvers.

R.4b00883c26ed3b261d608e97cc95e9e9

The cylinder pin is usually the first thing that gets lost on pinned-cylinder revolver. Try buying a cylinder pin for any revolver on gunpartcorp (Numrich.) Many gun parts got bought up during the pandemic for some reason, and they're either "on back-order" or "unavailable." You can find them on Ebay sometimes but the bidding goes pretty high.

I guess the H&R pricing these days is driven mostly by nostalgia....Anyone who's 60+ and was outdoors a lot remembers a family member that owned one if they did not own one themselves at one time.

Same with the old High Standard .22 revolvers......I've been looking for either a HS Posse or a Hombre for a spell now for a halfway reasonable price. No love....$450.00+.....I want one but not that bad. ;)

I guess the H&R pricing these days is driven mostly by nostalgia....Anyone who's 60+ and was outdoors a lot remembers a family member that owned one if they did not own one themselves at one time.

Same with the old High Standard .22 revolvers......I've been looking for either a HS Posse or a Hombre for a spell now for a halfway reasonable price. No love....$450.00+.....I want one but not that bad. ;)

Isn't that crazy? I never thought I'd see .22 revolvers go as high as they do these days.

The cylinder pin is usually the first thing that gets lost on pinned-cylinder revolver. Try buying a cylinder pin for any revolver on gunpartcorp (Numrich.) Many gun parts got bought up during the pandemic for some reason, and they're either "on back-order" or "unavailable." You can find them on Ebay sometimes but the bidding goes pretty high.
That's because GPC won't pay shit for anything and wants you to cover the shipping. Fuck that.

That said they was the only place that had Walther PP/PPK flat bases the other day, everyone else was sold out.

I bought a small lot of parts last weekend and there was a pre-war Banner Walther PP mag in there with a broken pinky finger rest. As I prefer a flat base (less chance of slide bite) I ordered one. It will make for a good range mag for my PP........Pre war Banner mags are off the hook pricing-wise too.

There was also a old Redfield .22 "Sharpshooter" receiver sight set in the box. :)

It was like finding gold. ;)

Last edited:
Look what I found today at the pawn shop as part of a 3-gun deal.

A 1982 4" H&R 929!

3 002 (3).JPG

It's missing it's rear sight blade (now on order) and it was in a repurposed 60s era 4" M&P revolver holster.

The owner did not notice the rear sight was missing so I got it for $50.00. The sight blade was $15.00 so I have $65.00 in it.

This one is a keeper as it has a great trigger, even the D/A trigger pull is manageable.

Look what I found today at the pawn shop as part of a 3-gun deal.

A 1982 4" H&R 929!

View attachment 784153
It's missing it's rear sight blade (now on order) and it was in a repurposed 60s era 4" M&P revolver holster.

The owner did not notice the rear sight was missing so I got it for $50.00. The sight blade was $15.00 so I have $65.00 in it.

This one is a keeper as it has a great trigger, even the D/A trigger pull is manageable.

Awesome find at an awesome price!! :beer:

Is this a great fucking country or what? Name another country where you can just go out and pick up something sweet like that.

:salute:

Forum List

Back