Guns in church

LOIE

Gold Member
May 11, 2017
I've never posted in this forum before but it seems the right place for this. Last week I visited my siblings and someone said that people who go to their church "carry." I said, "Carry what?" "Guns," he said.

I was floored. I have never ever thought about carrying a gun to my place of worship. My brother said, "Onward Christian soldiers!"

Is this a common practice? What does it say about our faith and trust in God?

Lots of churches have upped their security in recent years. My church has men that volunteer to be on security detail, some of which have concealed guns.

I've never posted in this forum before but it seems the right place for this. Last week I visited my siblings and someone said that people who go to their church "carry." I said, "Carry what?" "Guns," he said.

I was floored. I have never ever thought about carrying a gun to my place of worship. My brother said, "Onward Christian soldiers!"

May not be common practice but it’s not unheard of.

And one can have neither faith nor trust in something that doesn’t exist.

To some, it is saying that you are listening to your God and trusting him when he tells you to use your God-given common sense and stay protected! ;)

To some, it is saying that you are listening to your God and trusting him when he tells you to use your God-given common sense and stay protected! ;)
Not in my church.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Matthew 5:38-39

Not in my church.
“You have heard that it was said, ‘An eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth.’ But I say to you, Do not resist the one who is evil. But if anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also.

Never in a million years. Yes, I know. I am a bad christian I guess. Slap me, be prepared to have a hole in yer head.

When you have a permit to carry, you carry every day and everywhere. I carry when I go to church, for Easter, Christmas, or whatever events they have that my wife drags me to.

My wife also does the secretarial work for a different Methodist church here, and I've carried in the church whenever I pick her up or visit. The pastor at the church where my wife works is a lady and we invited her over for dinner last year. She had never shot a firearm so we took her out back and let her shoot a .22 rifle, a .22 pistol, a 9mm pistol, an AK-47, and a .44 magnum pistol. She thoroughly enjoyed that.

The only place I won't carry is in a US post office, on the grounds of a public school, or in the courthouse/police station. I will carry if I go in a bar, but the only thing I'll drink is coffee or a Coke. I will also carry in places that are posted "No Weapons", because it's only a trespassing ticket in my state, if you refuse to leave. besides, concealed means concealed.

Christians carrying guns in church clearly have more faith in their guns than their ‘god.’
------------------------------- this is America and guns in Churches is the church goers decision . Heck , most people have spare tires in the cars and 'smoke alarms' in their houses Clayton .

Clearly there’s nothing ‘wrong’ with carrying concealed guns in church – it’s perfectly prudent and appropriate given that places of worship have been subject to mass shootings; certainly a non-existent ‘god’ won’t provide any protection.

Clearly there’s nothing ‘wrong’ with carrying concealed guns in church – it’s perfectly prudent and appropriate given that places of worship have been subject to mass shootings; certainly a non-existent ‘god’ won’t provide any protection.
--------------------------------- yep , just a personal decision Clayton . Always be PREPARED is the only thing that makes sense Clayton .

Nothing speaks more of worshipping, loving and believing in the Prince of Peace than packing heat at a Sunday sermon.

The synagogue I attend has armed security and the police put extra units at the shul during Jewish holidays.

Are you going to tell me that's not a good idea?

and what the deal , an armed 'dylan roof' murdered quite a few people in a Black church a year or 2 ago . Mighta been good if one of those Church goers had had a gun or a few eh ??

Not in my church.

Never in a million years. Yes, I know. I am a bad christian I guess. Slap me, be prepared to have a hole in yer head.
Lots of people believe in turning the other cheek, especially if it's your cheek.

Most people, at least those that carry guns to church believe turning the other cheek is referring to personal revenge or retaliation, not self defense.

Non-violence as a political philosophy is something quite different.

Not in my church.

Non-violence is a GREAT THING and I'm all for it, up to the point to where someone's gonna get hurt or killed because of stupidity and I'd rather it be the other guy rather than me.

Not in my church.

Non-violence is a GREAT THING and I'm all for it, up to the point to where someone's gonna get hurt or killed because of stupidity and I'd rather it be the other guy rather than me.
That's pacifism, not non-violence.

The synagogue I attend has armed security and the police put extra units at the shul during Jewish holidays.

Are you going to tell me that's not a good idea?
No, I'm not, because it's obviously each institution's choice. I just have never given the issue any thought until it came up recently.

Forum List

Back