Guns in church

And one can have neither faith nor trust in something that doesn’t exist
But isn't the very reason people go to church to worship God? Obviously, they do believe that he exists or they wouldn't be there.

I've never posted in this forum before but it seems the right place for this. Last week I visited my siblings and someone said that people who go to their church "carry." I said, "Carry what?" "Guns," he said.

I was floored. I have never ever thought about carrying a gun to my place of worship. My brother said, "Onward Christian soldiers!"

Is this a common practice? What does it say about our faith and trust in God?

The synagogue I attend has armed security and the police put extra units at the shul during Jewish holidays.

Are you going to tell me that's not a good idea?
What an insane country we live in. I'm sorry to hear that has to happen.

I at times carry to church if I know there is no armed security.

Be aware that if armed security is on the premise, and an incident happens, you are going to get shot if you do more than hunker down and protect the five or six around you.

I've never posted in this forum before but it seems the right place for this. Last week I visited my siblings and someone said that people who go to their church "carry." I said, "Carry what?" "Guns," he said.

I was floored. I have never ever thought about carrying a gun to my place of worship. My brother said, "Onward Christian soldiers!"

God doesn't protect church goers who are gunned down or bombed. I don't think it has much to do with your "faith." It's just the way it is.

and what the deal , an armed 'dylan roof' murdered quite a few people in a Black church a year or 2 ago . Mighta been good if one of those Church goers had had a gun or a few eh ??
I immediately thought about that incident. I suppose that if someone there had a gun things would have turned out differently. Then I also thought about the response of those survivors and how they publicly talked about forgiveness and exhibited powerful love and understanding in their reactions.

There was a similar response to the gunman who killed children in an amish school in Lancaster County. The families even reached out to the wife of the shooter. It was quite inspiring.

My brother did point out that the ones who carry in his church have to be trained, and that they were told that once they pulled the trigger their lives would change forever. He said one guy came with a certain type of gun and the trainer said he couldn't use it. When he asked why not, he was told that not only would he kill the shooter, but the bullet would go straight through and kill two or three people behind him.

I remain personally unsure about the wisdom of weapon-carrying worshipers, but I do know that I will never be one of them.

God doesn't protect church goers who are gunned down or bombed. I don't think it has much to do with your "faith." It's just the way it is.
Interesting perspective. Thanks.

and what the deal , an armed 'dylan roof' murdered quite a few people in a Black church a year or 2 ago . Mighta been good if one of those Church goers had had a gun or a few eh ??
I immediately thought about that incident. I suppose that if someone there had a gun things would have turned out differently. Then I also thought about the response of those survivors and how they publicly talked about forgiveness and exhibited powerful love and understanding in their reactions.

There was a similar response to the gunman who killed children in an amish school in Lancaster County. The families even reached out to the wife of the shooter. It was quite inspiring.

My brother did point out that the ones who carry in his church have to be trained, and that they were told that once they pulled the trigger their lives would change forever. He said one guy came with a certain type of gun and the trainer said he couldn't use it. When he asked why not, he was told that not only would he kill the shooter, but the bullet would go straight through and kill two or three people behind him.

I remain personally unsure about the wisdom of weapon-carrying worshipers, but I do know that I will never be one of them.
From 1980 to 2005 there were 6 shooting a year on church property, most of which occurred in parking lots and property outside of the church which makes shooting in churches extremely rare compared to shooting in the homes, schools, shopping malls or other public facilities. The fact is you're safer in church than you are in most any other place. I can't think of anything more unacceptable than bringing guns into a church. it is the antithesis of most religious teachings.

How Common Are Church Shootings?

Last edited:

May not be common practice but it’s not unheard of.

And one can have neither faith nor trust in something that doesn’t exist.
I have faith in potential energy and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in thought and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in math and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in science and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in music and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in love and it doesn't exist.

I have faith in intelligence and it doesn't exist.

None of the things I have mentioned exist in the material sense, but we know they do exist.

Christians carrying guns in church clearly have more faith in their guns than their ‘god.’
Why is that exactly?

Are you under the assumption that God makes it so that everything is perfect and ideal and never lets anything bad happen.

The problem with people like yourself and the ones who agreed with your comment is that you operate under a false premise when it comes to God and you do so to validate your beliefs.

I for one do not believe it is God's job to keep me safe here on earth. I have no idea why you would think it was. I can only assume you are a moron.

It doesn't say anything at all about our faith and trust in God. Why would it?

From 1980 to 2005 there were 6 shooting a year on church property, most of which occurred in parking lots and property outside of the church which makes shooting in churches extremely rare compared to shooting in the homes, schools, shopping malls or other public facilities. The fact is you're safer in church than you are in most any other place. I can't think of anything more unacceptable than bringing guns into a church. it is the antithesis of most religious teachings.

How Common Are Church Shootings?

Just in the US, since 2000, there have been four shootings at Synagogues and Jewish Community centers. Five failed plots in which the perpetrators were tried and convicted. Another five arson attacks and about a dozen acts of vandalism.

I didn't look up the numbers for mosques, buddhist or hindu temples, or gurudwaras.

Your siblings are what's known as "retards".

It doesn't say anything at all about our faith and trust in God. Why would it?
It means they don't trust god to protect them.

Christians carrying guns in church clearly have more faith in their guns than their ‘god.’
------------------------------- this is America and guns in Churches is the church goers decision . Heck , most people have spare tires in the cars and 'smoke alarms' in their houses Clayton .
Because they don't trust that god will protect them from a flat tire or a fire.

------------------------------- this is America and guns in Churches is the church goers decision . Heck , most people have spare tires in the cars and 'smoke alarms' in their houses Clayton .
Because they don't trust that god will protect them from a flat tire or a fire.
------------------------------------ and many people also have 'fire extinguishers' in their kitchens and in their cars . Its simply common sense to have a GUN in the pocket at Church . Always be Prepared is what i was taught at home , in school , at Church and in the Cub and Boy Scouts TAZ .

course in America people that don't want to carry Guns in Church don't have to Mr. Clean .

The synagogue I attend has armed security and the police put extra units at the shul during Jewish holidays.

Same here, except our regular security guard is only armed with t baton. But our security company only hires former IDF.

I think there is a difference between having to have perimeter security and worshipers being armed.

Tell to poor souls that Dylann Roof gunned down.

Same here, except our regular security guard is only armed with t baton. But our security company only hires former IDF.

I think there is a difference between having to have perimeter security and worshipers being armed.
------------------------------------------------------ IDF and other Special people guarding your lives in Church eh ?? So with IDF and my assumption that you are Israeli i think that you have No RIGHT to be armed . And thats cool for Israel but here in the USA Americans quite often carry guns to protect themselves and others in Church because we have the RIGHT to be armed. Plus who wants to trust a retired Special person with their lives Asher .

Forum List

Back