Gun sales plunge for Smith & Wesson: Can Gun Nutters Save Smith & Wesson? Having 100 Guns, too few?

If S&W would be on the leading edge of firearms design like they were with their venerable revolvers and quit trying to produce guns other companies are making, they'd do just fine.

Nothing could beat their Model 29 .44 magnum with a 6" barrel.
The smith&wessen m&p15 sport is a very fine entry level sporting rifle...
And the m&p handguns are excellent, better than glocks.

S&W claims this can shoot either the 556 nato or the 223 rounds. DO NOT FIRE THE 556 NATO ROUNDS. I notice a flaw in their advertising where it hints at mil specs. Instead of outright saying Mil Spec, it says Mil Spec Sized. It doesn't talk about the head size that the 556 requires over the 223 to make it safe to fire the 556. It doesn't talk about the extra chromium in areas that makes it safe to fire the 556 rounds. If it was Mil Spec it would proudly state that. It doesn't. Therefore, it's just another cheap piece of junk for under 800 bucks.
No over the counter ar is military grade... of course
Like I said s&w m&p15 sport is a very fine ENTRY level sporting rifle. Nothing fancy, out of the box they will 1moa if the shooter is able. I sell them for $469 and they are my best selling rifles.
They will shoot both rounds just fine, I have never had one returned. And s&w has exceptional customer service.

The AR type that I endorsed has Mil Spec pasted all over it's ad. If it's not then it has a different head space than the Mil Spec required to fire the 556 Nato Round. The 223 doesn't generate the pressure that the Nato Round does so the head space is tighter. And the barrel and combustion chamber is much cheaper to make since it doesn't require the better metalurgy as well.

I'll say it again, With the MP15, DO NOT FIRE THE 556 NATO ROUND no matter what the brochure says. And anyone that makes the claim that you should, NEVER, EVER TRUST.

If S&W would be on the leading edge of firearms design like they were with their venerable revolvers and quit trying to produce guns other companies are making, they'd do just fine.

S&W claims this can shoot either the 556 nato or the 223 rounds. DO NOT FIRE THE 556 NATO ROUNDS. I notice a flaw in their advertising where it hints at mil specs. Instead of outright saying Mil Spec, it says Mil Spec Sized. It doesn't talk about the head size that the 556 requires over the 223 to make it safe to fire the 556. It doesn't talk about the extra chromium in areas that makes it safe to fire the 556 rounds. If it was Mil Spec it would proudly state that. It doesn't. Therefore, it's just another cheap piece of junk for under 800 bucks.
Lol
I can get any firearms any other store can, I have 20+ years dealing with many of the same reps...

Do you have a FFL license? Simple question. And before you run to the mommies, it's also not a personal question. You want us to accept you are a gun dealer, answer the question. Do you have a FFL License?
Yes I do...

You don't mind if I do a bit of research on this do you?

Like I said s&w m&p15 sport is a very fine ENTRY level sporting rifle. Nothing fancy, out of the box they will 1moa if the shooter is able. I sell them for $469 and they are my best selling rifles.
They will shoot both rounds just fine, I have never had one returned. And s&w has exceptional customer service.

The AR type that I endorsed has Mil Spec pasted all over it's ad. If it's not then it has a different head space than the Mil Spec required to fire the 556 Nato Round. The 223 doesn't generate the pressure that the Nato Round does so the head space is tighter. And the barrel and combustion chamber is much cheaper to make since it doesn't require the better metalurgy as well.

I'll say it again, With the MP15, DO NOT FIRE THE 556 NATO ROUND no matter what the brochure says. And anyone that makes the claim that you should, NEVER, EVER TRUST.
True, most people will not use 5.56 ammo as opposed to .223 ammo. I’m sure you are more and better qualified than the engineers at Smith and Wesson… LOL

True, most people will not use 5.56 ammo as opposed to .223 ammo. I’m sure you are more and better qualified than the engineers at Smith and Wesson… LOL

You mistake Advertising Force for Engineers. And I am just as qualified as the Engineers in rating the weapon. I look for certain features. If I see them then I say it's okay to fire the 556. IF I don't see them, I say it's not okay. It's better to err on the safe side on this one. Especially when we are dealing with a bargain basement gun in comparison to a real Mil Spec or a Match Quality.

160304074738-smith-and-wesson-guns-780x439.jpg

American Outdoor Brands, the gun maker that owns the iconic Smith & Wesson line of firearms, reported plunging sales on Wednesday.
The company said that quarterly sales dropped 25% compared to the fourth quarter of last year, and profit plummeted more than 70%.

Sales for the full year were down 33% from the year before, and profit plunged 84%.
Gun sales plunge for Smith & Wesson

:thankusmile::thewave: Die of fast!

Well to be fair Trump is not a salesman for them, Obama was though...

Actually, it was Foxnews that was the salesmen. But today, Foxnews isn't the trusted source it once was and has problems selling it own soul to the Devil. Oh, wait, that went a long time ago. They are having trouble selling Trump these days. But then again, so is everyone else.
Dreamer. Fox New remains number one, whereas CNN is dying.

It depends on day to day. Foxnews normally is number one but on slightly less than half of the days, MSNBC slides in. And then CNN is still coming in number one once in awhile. What makes Foxnews number one is only one person and one person only and that is Saun Hannidy. If he were to be taken out of the equation Foxnews would be rated as #3 more than half of the time.

Haniddy likes to report that CNN is dying but it's not. It's still around and doing just fine. The problem is, the Hannity listeners buy into every little thing Hannity has to say as truth.
In the first quarter of 2018, CNN has failed to come in the top 20. You might want to do your research.

American Outdoor Brands, the gun maker that owns the iconic Smith & Wesson line of firearms, reported plunging sales on Wednesday.
The company said that quarterly sales dropped 25% compared to the fourth quarter of last year, and profit plummeted more than 70%.

Sales for the full year were down 33% from the year before, and profit plunged 84%.

Well to be fair Trump is not a salesman for them, Obama was though...

Actually, it was Foxnews that was the salesmen. But today, Foxnews isn't the trusted source it once was and has problems selling it own soul to the Devil. Oh, wait, that went a long time ago. They are having trouble selling Trump these days. But then again, so is everyone else.
Dreamer. Fox New remains number one, whereas CNN is dying.

It depends on day to day. Foxnews normally is number one but on slightly less than half of the days, MSNBC slides in. And then CNN is still coming in number one once in awhile. What makes Foxnews number one is only one person and one person only and that is Saun Hannidy. If he were to be taken out of the equation Foxnews would be rated as #3 more than half of the time.

Haniddy likes to report that CNN is dying but it's not. It's still around and doing just fine. The problem is, the Hannity listeners buy into every little thing Hannity has to say as truth.
In the first quarter of 2018, CNN has failed to come in the top 20. You might want to do your research.
I won't get into a pissing contest on this one. It all depends on what network is telling the story so who really knows the truth. And it also depends on a given day, story, mood and what was for breakfast.

What a dolt like you wouldn't know is that gun and ammo sales have been through the roof for years thanks to Obama. The drop now is simply things going back to normal.

Smith & Wesson has made several mistakes. The largest two are making the deal with the Clinton Adinistration HUD Secretary and failing to move out of a state where many of their firearms can’t be sold. They’ve also cut their investments in the shooting sports world.

What a dolt like you wouldn't know is that gun and ammo sales have been through the roof for years thanks to Obama. The drop now is simply things going back to normal.

The figures are in. For the year of 2017, it shows that there was a 11 percent drop in gun sales. This isn't just a few states. It's in all states. All States show a reduction. That's an 11 percent drop from 2016. Yet the gun manufacturers all claim their sales have increased. Well, not according to the NICS that closely follows the gun background checks. Looks like the Gun Manufacturers are doing a bit of voodoo hype on this one.

The reports of the Gun Bonanza Sales in 2016 is probably incorrect as well. The Right Wing News claims record gun sales in 2016 yet the gun sellers tell that their gun sales have gone down. Another bit of PR voodoo.

So it looks like gun sales went down in 2016 and I can't find that figure accurately and it went down another 11% in 2017. And the 2017 11% loss is the worst it has been in decades. Even with the mass shootings, the More Guns fear is working less and less every day.

You mistake Advertising Force for Engineers. And I am just as qualified as the Engineers in rating the weapon. I look for certain features. If I see them then I say it's okay to fire the 556. IF I don't see them, I say it's not okay. It's better to err on the safe side on this one. Especially when we are dealing with a bargain basement gun in comparison to a real Mil Spec or a Match Quality.
Like I said, Smith m&ps are great Entry level sporting rifles.
Match grade is not expected with entry level firearms. I sell Smith m&p sports for $469, out of the box they shoot 1moa if the shooter is up to it.
Liability issues with Smith? I am sure they have it covered... they can shoot both cartridges just fine.

Smith & Wesson always sell good.
I can’t keep m&p 45s in stock...

Idk about Smith & Wesson, but my friend has this Dan Wesson .44 magnum that sucks balls, IMO.

I have a model 10..probably 70s or 80s. Have not yet tested for accuracy. Am not expecting much.

We had a Security six in .357, too. The grouping was 2-3x better than that Dan Wesson.

Match grade is not expected with entry level firearms. I sell Smith m&p sports for $469, out of the box they shoot 1moa if the shooter is up to it.
Liability issues with Smith? I am sure they have it covered... they can shoot both cartridges just fine.

The reason why they shouldn't has been brought to your attention. As of now, you are culpable should anything happen to anyone firing one of these that you have sold if anyone fires a 556 out of it. S$W might be able to afford millions but I doubt if you can.

The reason why they shouldn't has been brought to your attention. As of now, you are culpable should anything happen to anyone firing one of these that you have sold if anyone fires a 556 out of it. S$W might be able to afford millions but I doubt if you can.
:lmao:
You being an metallurgy expert... :fu:

The figures are in. For the year of 2017, it shows that there was a 11 percent drop in gun sales. This isn't just a few states. It's in all states. All States show a reduction. That's an 11 percent drop from 2016. Yet the gun manufacturers all claim their sales have increased. Well, not according to the NICS that closely follows the gun background checks. Looks like the Gun Manufacturers are doing a bit of voodoo hype on this one.

The reports of the Gun Bonanza Sales in 2016 is probably incorrect as well. The Right Wing News claims record gun sales in 2016 yet the gun sellers tell that their gun sales have gone down. Another bit of PR voodoo.

So it looks like gun sales went down in 2016 and I can't find that figure accurately and it went down another 11% in 2017. And the 2017 11% loss is the worst it has been in decades. Even with the mass shootings, the More Guns fear is working less and less every day.

Hey STUPIDO:

How does any of that conflict with what I said? Yes, I remember, you're another flaming jackass that couldn't fight his way out of a conversation with a 5th grader. Oh and by the way, gun violence and shootings are WAY DOWN. And I won't even try to guess what your reference to "more guns fears" was trying to claim. Another 5 minutes of my life wasted on USMB talking to an itinerant idiot.

I don't expect you to understand since you say that there is a difference between the AR and the M-16. Those of us in the know know that the only difference is the amount of money spent on the gun. And your idea of an AR is strictly bargain basement. I would venture to call them the "Saturday Night Specials" of the ARs. I, personally, like the better quality with the Mil Specs which can safely handle the hotter 556 loads without fear of either damaging the weapon or myself. You sure don't sound like much of a gun dealer outside one that deals out of his car's truck at 2 am in the morning.

Hey STUPIDO:

How does any of that conflict with what I said? Yes, I remember, you're another flaming jackass that couldn't fight his way out of a conversation with a 5th grader. Oh and by the way, gun violence and shootings are WAY DOWN. And I won't even try to guess what your reference to "more guns fears" was trying to claim. Another 5 minutes of my life wasted on USMB talking to an itinerant idiot.

Translating your post, "I lose once again". Get used to it. You gun nutters usually do.

I don't expect you to understand since you say that there is a difference between the AR and the M-16. Those of us in the know know that the only difference is the amount of money spent on the gun. And your idea of an AR is strictly bargain basement. I would venture to call them the "Saturday Night Specials" of the ARs. I, personally, like the better quality with the Mil Specs which can safely handle the hotter 556 loads without fear of either damaging the weapon or myself. You sure don't sound like much of a gun dealer outside one that deals out of his car's truck at 2 am in the morning.
Lol
Na, like I said s&w m&p15 sport is a great entry level sporting rifle.
It can easily shoot 1moa out of the box if the shooter is able, An above average barrel.
Obviously it’s no where near military grade... it is very able to shoot both cartridges safely.
But, believe what you want... it’s the progressives way.

Lol
Na, like I said s&w m&p15 sport is a great entry level sporting rifle.
It can easily shoot 1moa out of the box if the shooter is able, An above average barrel.
Obviously it’s no where near military grade... it is very able to shoot both cartridges safely.
But, believe what you want... it’s the progressives way.

Oh, I see. It's Progressive to want safe firearms. It's progressive to demand that the sales pitch for a firearm is truthful. It's Progressive to demand that we get safe weapons? Hate to break it to you but that's Capitalism at it's best. What you want is to make sales to stupid people by misrepresenting the cheap junk as something it's not. Here is what Mil Spec Means for the firing chamber which the MP15 doesn't meet.

The rifle you are pushing has a SAAMI chamber. Which means it's like the traditional chamber. It's tight against the bullet. No room. SAAMI is the standard that all civilian guns have to meet. And the 223 was created in 1962 to meet that criteria and has been frozen to that standard ever since. The Chamber is made as small as possible to utilize as much energy as possible from the lower powered 223 round.

Them we have the Mil Spec. At first glance, this seems inferior because it's not as tight. The reason it's not as tight, it allows more space for gas expansion before the bullet exits the chamber. The Pressure is much higher than the 223. This does not comply with the SAAMI standard and has been changed many times since 1959 when it was first introduced. It's constantly been updated for maximum efficiency.

Can you safely fire a 223 in a mil spec 556 chamber? Sure you can but the downside is, you will lose accuracy and velocity compared to firing it out of a SAAMI chamber that has been optimized for the 223. That extra headspace will bleed off pressure that should be used to propel the bullet down the barrel.

Can you safely fire a 556 Nato Round out of a 223 SAAMI chamber? Most of the time. I doubt if it will ever blow up in your face. But it will slowly degrade your barrel over time. And it will sooner or later have an annoying problem of popping primers into the mechanism which will jam the gun. The popped primer isn't too unsafe, it's just damned annoying. The more you fire that 556 through your SAAMI chamber the more it's going to start happening as the barrel (Chamber) wears. When this happens, it's time to change out your barrel.

The gun that Dipstick is pushing is a SAAMI. It's the bottom of the barrel. If you want a much better rifle that will last longer, shoot straighter, and more, look for these other qualities. But you will have to pay for them.

.223 Wylde, Anything rated as match, Anything rated as NATO. None of these seem to have any trouble with the 556. But the 223 Wilde and anything rated Match also has no trouble with the 223 either. The Nato is specifically tuned to the 556 Nato so it's going to degrade a bit with the 223. The good news is, you might, and I strongly don't suggest this, might be able to fit one of the better barrels to the MP15 rifle. I would suggest you also change out the bolt as well to a better bolt. By the time you get a decent rifle by doing this, you could have bought a decent one for the same amount of money without having to modify it.

When I buy a gun, I expect it to last the next 100 years or so. My Great Grandkids can fire it up long after I am gone and it works just like it did the day it came out of the factory. I don't need to be spending hundreds of dollars on something that will be constantly having to replace parts on to keep it servicable. These are Toasters which I throw away when they break. And they certainly should not be made in China. If it's made in America, I expect quality and should be required to pay for quality. All of a sudden, that Mini-14 doesn't look so bad anymore even if it is a bit more cumbersome to change the mag out on. The Mini-14 costs not much more than the junk AR but it's a 100 year or better gun. I respect that.

So is there a difference between an AR-15 and a Mini-14? For the money, you bet. Buy the Mini-14 and get something your Great Grand Kids will enjoy.

Forum List

Back