For gun hobbyists, not a political discussion of gun control.

My latest acquisition for hog/sport shooting: A Hi-Point .45 carbine.

View attachment 92306

I bought my wife the 9mm version and saw this one in the gun store last week while looking at wheel guns. It was the .45 caliber that attracted me. Accurate out to 100 yards for hunting, 200+ for self defense.

Looking forward to shooting it.
Like any other CQB carbine this is for close-in shooting like urban.

Not very good for longer range like the 5.56x45 or even the 7.62x39.

Definitely not appropriate for hogs or any other animals.

Main advantage is that one kind of ammo -- the 45ACP -- will work in it and also in a pistol. That's a good point.

My primary pistol is a 45ACP and my primary carbine is a 5.56x45 however.

When you are hunting the pigs do you call them 'varmint cong'? And then yell 'FREEZE GOPHER!'
LOL. No. They're just varmints to be converted into meat for dinner. Very tasty too if they're under 24 inches at the shoulder. Anything bigger tends to be stringy. Boars are nastier tasting and only good for chili..not worth skinning out.

I've heard from friends that live in the foothills nearby that wild pigs can really destroy the ground with their rooting and they are a huge nuisance and quite prolific. One 'game' animal that should be hunted as it can be eaten and it also destroys habitat for things like beavers.
Pigs taste really good. You only need to worry about meat infestation.

As far as killing them, since they can kill you back if you are not careful, I would not use a contraption like this against pigs.

Slug shotguns are the very best pig killers.

And any high powered rifle in 270 or above works great too.

As usual, the veneral 30-06 is a superb pig gun. I would not trust anything smaller.

The 270 is a necked down 30-06 cartridge.

What MOA does the centre dot subtend?

As a matter of curiosity, what self defence scenario do you imagine with it?
We live in the country. It's rare, but homes have been robbed. Anyone who comes onto our property at night better have a good reason for being there. My wife loves the green laser sight since all she has to do is press the button on the forearm stock, point and pull the trigger.

Just guessing since I didn't see it in the ad, but probably 3-5 MOA diameter. For pistol/carbine ranges, that's fine for my purposes.
3 to 5 moa is the same as an AK-47. For CQB this is fine.

When you are hunting the pigs do you call them 'varmint cong'? And then yell 'FREEZE GOPHER!'
Most people if not all who say "kill pigs" have never actually really done it.

It would take more than a mere contraption like this one.

LOL. No. They're just varmints to be converted into meat for dinner. Very tasty too if they're under 24 inches at the shoulder. Anything bigger tends to be stringy. Boars are nastier tasting and only good for chili..not worth skinning out.
I always hunt for a nice fat sow.

But you need to be sure there are no piglets with her or else shooting her is illegal -- unless you are a rancher with a depredation problem.

The main theory about hunting game is that you take the excess animals and leave some of the herd to reproduce next year.

As such males are usually the excess whereas females should not be hunted.

Pigs however reproduce so rapidly, like rabbits or rats, that hunting the females is usually no big problem.

The meat of the females tastes better to.

Nothing against Austrians, Lucy Hamilton, but the best thing to come out of Austria in the last 100 years IMHO:

View attachment 92307

Hello, yes Glocks, I've posted before about Glocks, my family always favour Glock.

Myself, I have a Glock 19, Glock 17 and also a Glock 26, we make the best guns :smile:

glock-19.jpg

glock-17-gen-4-9mm1.jpg

890ef40c7f450e2f0df9ad457db59b42.jpg

This is the Roundel (Insignia) of our Bundesheer.

autriche.jpg

I'm a reservist in our Bundesheer, so also we have Steyr AUG 5.56×45mm assault rifle made by Steyr Mannlicher in Bezirk Steyr-Land, Oberösterreich (Upper Austria)

AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Also the SSG 69 sniper rifle, also made by Steyr Mannlicher.

Steyr_SSG_69.jpg

We also have the MG 3, a general purpose machine gun, this is made by Rheinmetall AG Düsseldorf.

This below is the MG 3 machine gun.

800px-MG3.jpg

This below is a pintle-mounted MG 3A1 on a Leopard 1 armoured recovery vehicle.

1024px-Norwegian_soldier_-_Battle_Griffin_2005.jpg

I always hunt for a nice fat sow.

But you need to be sure there are no piglets with her or else shooting her is illegal -- unless you are a rancher with a depredation problem.
Not in Texas. They're vermin....but very tasty vermin.

TPWD: Feral Hogs

Depredation allows landowners (or their agents!) to hunt hogs without a license. Trapping or hunting on public lands require a license. Given how much damage they do and how prolific they are, I expect most states to follow the same guidelines.

Hello, yes Glocks, I've posted before about Glocks, my family always favour Glock.

Myself, I have a Glock 19, Glock 17 and also a Glock 26, we make the best guns :smile:
OK... SIG P 226, any time, any place, any Glock... hahahaha....

Lol :lol:
Oh.. you wouldn't laugh my dear. Those things are sharp as a Swiss watch...
Everybody loves their baby and I'd love to have a Sig, but for half the price, I can have a Glock and something else.

Everybody loves their baby and I'd love to have a Sig, but for half the price, I can have a Glock and something else.
I like all metal construction what will be harder and harder to find anymore.
I had bad experience with a Glock 17. It was stove piping for me. The same gun didn't stove pipe for my son and my son in law. I got used to heavier handguns and I apparently did not make my wrist rigid for the recoil to work the slide properly while an all metal construction is heavy enough itself to work the slide properly regardless of the wrists rigidness. I was pissed off about it and researched the reason for stove piping and that's what I concluded. It is called limp wristing.

I had bad experience with a Glock 17. It was stove piping for me. The same gun didn't stove pipe for my son and my son in law. I got used to heavier handguns and I apparently did not make my wrist rigid for the recoil to work the slide properly while an all metal construction is heavy enough itself to work the slide properly regardless of the wrists rigidness. I was pissed off about it and researched the reason for stove piping and that's what I concluded. It is called limp wristing.
LOL about "limp wristing". As for composites, I'm pretty old school myself and was leery of composites for years. Still am where ARs are concerned, but I've been happy with the Glock and my wife's Taurus .38. There's a reason why Glocks are popular with police as a general service weapon. No doubt the Sig is superior, but it seems to be finding a balance between how good is good enough and cost.

LOL about "limp wristing". As for composites, I'm pretty old school myself and was leery of composites for years. Still am where ARs are concerned, but I've been happy with the Glock and my wife's Taurus .38. There's a reason why Glocks are popular with police as a general service weapon. No doubt the Sig is superior, but it seems to be finding a balance between how good is good enough and cost.
I am sure with a little practice I would not have problem with it. The Glock is very reliable gun it is the operator who is at fault... but there is no second place in a shoot out...Wheel guns are great also, keep them loaded and no weakening magazine spring tension to worry about.

It would take more than a mere contraption like this one.
I haven't used a .45, but it would depend on how close one got and bullet placement, Shirley? I mean I've used a .22 on goats with only a couple of fuckups.

Last edited:
I'm a reservist in our Bundesheer, so also we have Steyr AUG 5.56×45mm assault rifle made by Steyr Mannlicher in Bezirk Steyr-Land, Oberösterreich (Upper Austria)
Our Army has abandoned those for LMT MARS-L, which won the testing programme hands down. The SSG 69 looks pretty good though.

Reading the review, I liked the iron sights, especially the ghost ring on the carbine. 5" at 50 yds is a bit worrying, I'm not sure I'd take that shooting animals. But I'm a bit disqualified as I hate semis in rifle or shotgun, for shooting animals on foot anyway. Maybe a semi shotgun has a place on the back of a vehicle, maybe.

Nothing against Austrians, Lucy Hamilton, but the best thing to come out of Austria in the last 100 years IMHO:

View attachment 92307

glock-19.jpg

glock-17-gen-4-9mm1.jpg

890ef40c7f450e2f0df9ad457db59b42.jpg

This is the Roundel (Insignia) of our Bundesheer.

autriche.jpg

AUG_A1_508mm_04.jpg

Also the SSG 69 sniper rifle, also made by Steyr Mannlicher.

Steyr_SSG_69.jpg

We also have the MG 3, a general purpose machine gun, this is made by Rheinmetall AG Düsseldorf.

This below is the MG 3 machine gun.

800px-MG3.jpg

This below is a pintle-mounted MG 3A1 on a Leopard 1 armoured recovery vehicle.

1024px-Norwegian_soldier_-_Battle_Griffin_2005.jpg

Ahhh, but Lucy, the MG3 is GERMAN! Derived from the MG42 of WWII fame, and IMHO the best GPMG on the planet. I used to own one many years ago. I still have my Steyr SSG PII.

Forum List

Back