Divine Wind

Platinum Member
Aug 2, 2011
Texas
For gun hobbyists, not a political discussion of gun control.

My latest acquisition for hog/sport shooting: A Hi-Point .45 carbine.

Img_0372.jpg

I bought my wife the 9mm version and saw this one in the gun store last week while looking at wheel guns. It was the .45 caliber that attracted me. Accurate out to 100 yards for hunting, 200+ for self defense.

Looking forward to shooting it.

If you drop it in the grass you'll never find it again!

Last edited:
What MOA does the centre dot subtend?

As a matter of curiosity, what self defence scenario do you imagine with it?

Last edited:
When you are hunting the pigs do you call them 'varmint cong'? And then yell 'FREEZE GOPHER!'

When you are hunting the pigs do you call them 'varmint cong'? And then yell 'FREEZE GOPHER!'
LOL. No. They're just varmints to be converted into meat for dinner. Very tasty too if they're under 24 inches at the shoulder. Anything bigger tends to be stringy. Boars are nastier tasting and only good for chili..not worth skinning out.

What MOA does the centre dot subtend?

As a matter of curiosity, what self defence scenario do you imagine with it?
We live in the country. It's rare, but homes have been robbed. Anyone who comes onto our property at night better have a good reason for being there. My wife loves the green laser sight since all she has to do is press the button on the forearm stock, point and pull the trigger.

Just guessing since I didn't see it in the ad, but probably 3-5 MOA diameter. For pistol/carbine ranges, that's fine for my purposes.

LOL. No. They're just varmints to be converted into meat for dinner. Very tasty too if they're under 24 inches at the shoulder. Anything bigger tends to be stringy. Boars are nastier tasting and only good for chili..not worth skinning out.

I've heard from friends that live in the foothills nearby that wild pigs can really destroy the ground with their rooting and they are a huge nuisance and quite prolific. One 'game' animal that should be hunted as it can be eaten and it also destroys habitat for things like beavers.

I've heard from friends that live in the foothills nearby that wild pigs can really destroy the ground with their rooting and they are a huge nuisance and quite prolific. One 'game' animal that should be hunted as it can be eaten and it also destroys habitat for things like beavers.
Correct about their destructiveness, but they aren't "game" animals even though they are tasty to eat. The distinction being that, as vermin, they can be shot and left to lie in the dirt. It's illegal to shoot "game" animals and not harvest them. Not so with feral hogs. They destroy fences, crops, streams and anything else that gets in their way. Hogs are smart, but about 90% of that intelligence is geared towards eating/finding food. Sows can start bearing young at about 13 months and they can have litters of 5-6 pigs twice a year. Not as prolific as Tribbles, but fast enough to be a public nuisance.

Anyone who comes onto our property at night better have a good reason for being there.

Just guessing since I didn't see it in the ad, but probably 3-5 MOA diameter.
Yes, but what scenario do you imagine when you talk about self defence?

Ah, I thought you'd installed it. That will be fun.

Around here it would be a forced entry or attack.
I think an over and under shotgun would be my choice at those sort of ranges for ultimate go bang reliability.

edit...I'd be interested in your experience with installing and using the holographic sight.

Last edited:
I think an over and under shotgun would be my choice at those sort of ranges for ultimate go bang reliability.

edit...I'd be interested in your experience with installing and using the holographic sight.
A shotgun is a good choice; inexpensive and reliable, but I prefer a Mossberg 500 pump. 5 shots and racking a shell creates such a distinctive noise, the sound alone could scare off bad guys.

Looking forward to using the sight myself. I'm leary of being dependent upon batteries, but they are nice.

I'd go for the ultimate reliability of the break action shotgun, pump would be next choice.

Can you use the iron sights with the holographic sight in place?

edit...Oh I see you can just take the sight off its own mount. Actually no, on looking again, the blurb says it will re-zero when mounted back on the rail, I guess you'll find out. Reading the page I found one absolute error so who knows what others there are.

What range will you zero the laser, and the other sights for that matter?

Last edited:
I'd go for the ultimate reliability of the break action shotgun, pump would be next choice.

Can you use the iron sights with the holographic sight in place?

edit...Oh I see you can just take the sight off its own mount. Actually no, on looking again, the blurb says it will re-zero when mounted back on the rail, I guess you'll find out. Reading the page I found one absolute error so who knows what others there are.

What range will you zero the laser, and the other sights for that matter?
It depends on the set up. Some can use the iron sights underneath the holographic sight, others look right through it. I'll have to see, but it appears I'll be able to look through it.

50 yards is what I plan for the .45 carbine, then I'll shoot it 100 yards to see how much bullet drop I'd have to adjust for at that range. My wife's 9mm laser sight was zeroed at 25 yards since it's a back up for home defense. My .45 will be a back up for hog hunting. My main hog guns are in 7.62X39mm; AK-47s and an SKS.

Cheap Guns: Hi-Point 45ACP Tactical Carbine - 4595TS Review - GunsAmerica Digest

Hi-Point Firearms .45 ACP Pistol & Carbine
To check the accuracy of the 4595TS PRO carbine using the same ammunition, shooting started with targets set at 15 yards. This produced groups around 1.25" in size. Groups at 25 yards averaged 2.5" with groups at 50 yards opening up to around 5". Since I was sticking to a 3” size limit, formal accuracy testing took place at 25 yards. The Winchester USA load turned in a best single group of 1.50" with an average of 1.80". HPR was a very close second with an average of 1.84" followed by Wolf Performance at 2.61".

• Thanks
Reactions: cnm
5 shots and racking a shell creates such a distinctive noise, the sound alone could scare off bad guys.

It certainly did for me. Had a home break in when I was stationed at Shaw AFB back in the late 70's. I was upstairs in a remote rental farm house and the intruder was rummaging around downstairs. When I racked a 12 gauge shell in the breech, he quickly left. No messy clean up.

Forum List

Back