Gun dealer gets death threats

Luddly Neddite

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2011
BREAKING: MD "Smart Gun" Dealer Changes His Mind After Death Threats | The Truth About Guns

“A Rockville gun store owner who said he would sell the nation’s first smart gun — even after a California gun store removed the weapon from its shelves to placate angry gun-rights activists — backed down late Thursday night after enduring a day of protests and death threats,”

Maryland dealer, under pressure from gun-rights activists, drops plan to sell smart gun - The Washington Post

Andy Raymond, the co-owner of Engage Armament, a store known for its custom assault rifles, had said earlier this week that offering the Armatix iP1 handgun was a “really tough decision” after what happened to the Oak Tree Gun Club near Los Angeles. Oak Tree was lambasted by gun owners and National Rifle Association members who fear the new technology will be mandated and will encroach on Second Amendment rights.

Not long ago smart guns, personalized weapons that only fired for authorized users, were seen only in the movies. Today, after millions of dollars and more than 10 years of research, there are finally smart guns for the public. But there are only two viable systems available for the public to purchase. The Washington Post's Mike Rosenwald talks about the reason why and the future of the technology.

Not long ago smart guns, personalized weapons that only fired for authorized users, were seen only in the movies. Today, after millions of dollars and more than 10 years of research, there are finally smart guns for the public. But there are only two viable systems available for the public to purchase. The Washington Post's Mike Rosenwald talks about the reason why and the future of the technology.

Electronic chips in the gun communicate with a watch that can be bought separately. The gun cannot be fired without the watch.

Oak Tree denied having anything to do with the weapon, despite pictures of the gun for sale in its shop and a special firing range built just for the weapon.

“If the same reaction happens here, we’ll be out of business,” Raymond had said in an interview. He had said he was willing to risk selling the gun because Maryland, with its strict gun-control laws, “has already essentially put us out of business.” He also believes that firearms such as Armatix’s will expand the market to people who want an ultra-safe gun.

And, Jon Stewart's very funny slam of these weenies -

Shooters - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

This technology could save children's lives but the gun nutters can't figure out how put on the watch so they threaten to murder the gun seller.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/u...arm-draws-wrath-of-the-gun-lobby.html?hp&_r=1

Belinda Padilla does not pick up unknown calls anymore, not since someone posted her cellphone number on an online forum for gun enthusiasts. A few fuming-mad voice mail messages and heavy breathers were all it took.

Then someone snapped pictures of the address where she has a P.O. box and put those online, too. In a crude, cartoonish scrawl, this person drew an arrow to the blurred image of a woman passing through the photo frame. “Belinda?” the person wrote. “Is that you?”

These nutters aren't kidding either. If she gets dead, they'll all say they were within their rights to post her phone number and photo, with threats, where any of the impotent little 2nd Amendment phonies can find it and that they weren't at fault or responsible.

Cowardly slime.

Before I respond to the OP specifically, I want to make something VERY CLEAR.... Under no circumstance do I condone threatening bodily harm to a private business owner over what items they choose to stock. I DO condone peaceful protests outside their shop (on public property) and boycotts, but I DO NOT condone death threats.

This technology could save children's lives but the gun nutters can't figure out how put on the watch so they threaten to murder the gun seller.

Hahahaha. Cute joke. Now let's get down to the meat of this issue.... Would you purchase a car with a system in it that requires you to wear a specific item in order to operate the vehicle? A system which may or may not be able to be blocked by Law Enforcement officers? A system which has not been proven 100% reliable? One which may or may not work in that instant when you really need to car?

I kind of doubt it. Despite some people I know comparing SmartGun to the electronic chip in some new style car keys or the key fob that we've all grown to accept as a standard part of our automotive lives, this is a totally different situation.

If/when I pick up a firearm to use for self-defense, I don't want to be GUESSING if the gun will fire or not. Did I remember to put the ring/watch on? Is my hand perfectly positioned for the grip to read my fingerprints? What if I have to shoot with my non-dominant hand? Are the batteries in the gun/ring/watch good? Is there anything else mechanical that might go wrong?

I'm sorry but that's NOT an acceptable level of interference in my ability to defend myself. It's far and away above the level of interference that the US Constitution allows for.

I will never own a firearm with "smart" technology in it. Even if that means never buying another new gun, or ensuring that anything new I buy happens to have a "faulty" SmartGun system in it. Kinda like those Magazine Disconnect Safeties the State of Massachusetts required a couple years back. I can't believe it, every gun I've bought since then has a non-operational one. What's the chance of that?

One other thing people forget..... REVOLVERS. The simple technology in a revolver will not be able to be overcome with a SmartGun system. There aren't enough internal parts, and really no internal block that could be used to disable the firing mechanism. Think about that.

Cars are not guns.

Guns are not cars.

If you're not smart enough to put on a watch, you have no business pointing a gun at someone.

Not a joke to the little kids who have been killed by guns that were not locked away, had no trigger locks, safety not on, they were loaded, etc.

And that's really the point of this - If the nutters aren't even willing to lock up guns, they don't put on trigger locks, keep them unloaded, the safety is not on - so there is no reason to expect any of the nutters to take responsibility by owning a smart gun.

And don't give me the crap about how "responsible gun owners" keep their guns locked up, trigger guards in place, unloaded, safety on because if that were true, little children would not be able to accidentally kill themselves or others.

BREAKING: MD "Smart Gun" Dealer Changes His Mind After Death Threats | The Truth About Guns

“A Rockville gun store owner who said he would sell the nation’s first smart gun — even after a California gun store removed the weapon from its shelves to placate angry gun-rights activists — backed down late Thursday night after enduring a day of protests and death threats,”

Maryland dealer, under pressure from gun-rights activists, drops plan to sell smart gun - The Washington Post

Andy Raymond, the co-owner of Engage Armament, a store known for its custom assault rifles, had said earlier this week that offering the Armatix iP1 handgun was a “really tough decision” after what happened to the Oak Tree Gun Club near Los Angeles. Oak Tree was lambasted by gun owners and National Rifle Association members who fear the new technology will be mandated and will encroach on Second Amendment rights.

Electronic chips in the gun communicate with a watch that can be bought separately. The gun cannot be fired without the watch.

Oak Tree denied having anything to do with the weapon, despite pictures of the gun for sale in its shop and a special firing range built just for the weapon.

“If the same reaction happens here, we’ll be out of business,” Raymond had said in an interview. He had said he was willing to risk selling the gun because Maryland, with its strict gun-control laws, “has already essentially put us out of business.” He also believes that firearms such as Armatix’s will expand the market to people who want an ultra-safe gun.

And, Jon Stewart's very funny slam of these weenies -

Shooters - The Daily Show - Video Clip | Comedy Central

It'll never work. Takes a responsible gun owner. Ain't none.

If you're not smart enough to put on a watch, you have no business pointing a gun at someone.

At 2:30am, when the window breaks downstairs, exactly how long do you take to wake up, get dressed, freshen up, and go to see what's going on? For me it's about 20-30 seconds. Just long enough to roll out of bed, put the vest on, pick up the revolver and shotgun, and move for the door.

Not a joke to the little kids who have been killed by guns that were not locked away, had no trigger locks, safety not on, they were loaded, etc....

That's on the parents for not teaching their kids proper gun safety and general discipline. My way of dealing with it is simple.... NO KIDS IN THE HOUSE.

BTW - I don't own a gun with a manual safety, nor do I leave a firearm unloaded (even those that are in the safe).

And that's really the point of this - If the nutters aren't even willing to lock up guns, they don't put on trigger locks, keep them unloaded, the safety is not on - so there is no reason to expect any of the nutters to take responsibility by owning a smart gun.

Owning a SmartGun is the epitome of STUPIDITY for anyone intending to use the gun for self-defense.

And don't give me the crap about how "responsible gun owners" keep their guns locked up, trigger guards in place, unloaded, safety on because if that were true, little children would not be able to accidentally kill themselves or others.

The vast majority of gun owners do all of those things. They're no better than the rest of you sheep. In the moment of greatest need their only available weapon will be dribbling urine down their thighs, and they'll get exactly what they deserve for their short-sightedness.

Yep. Like I said,

If the nutters aren't even willing to lock up guns, put on trigger locks, keep them unloaded, use the safety - there is no reason to expect any of the nutters to take responsibility by owning a smart gun.

If the nutters aren't even willing to lock up guns, put on trigger locks, keep them unloaded, use the safety - there is no reason to expect any of the nutters to take responsibility by owning a smart gun.

Luddly, since you appear to be such an expert on this type of thing.... What is the value of a "SmartGun" to someone who has no children and who sees the primary use of a firearm as being for self-defense? I'm truly interested to know.

Luddly, since you appear to be such an expert on this type of thing.... What is the value of a "SmartGun" to someone who has no children and who sees the primary use of a firearm as being for self-defense? I'm truly interested to know.
For lemmings like her it is just a step in the right direction. Complicate the gun, then regulate the complication. Easy peasy gun restrictions.

Liberals do not believe in the marketplace, freedom or self determination. It's all about how government can control you.

For lemmings like her it is just a step in the right direction. Complicate the gun, then regulate the complication. Easy peasy gun restrictions.

Liberals do not believe in the marketplace, freedom or self determination. It's all about how government can control you.

Ice, does she not comprehend that 99% of these regulations are easily avoided? Like the mysterious disappearing Magazine Disconnect Safety on guns in Massachusetts or the barrel replacements/cleaning that essentially voided the usefulness of the slugs and casings that New York and Maryland used to collect? Do they really, truly believe that gun owners aren't smart enough to find ways to avoid these ridiculous "safety" plans of theirs?

I don't see any threat to gun owners/advocates in having this product on the shelves.
This is why I refuse to join the NRA. Some very spooky folks in those ranks.

Its because in some states once these guns are available they are the ONLY ones non-government civilians can own or purchase.

This is infringement, but states that pass these laws don't give a rats ass.

Yep. Like I said,

When you can guarantee the skell breaking into my house will have his gun unloaded, trigger locked and locked up during said entering, then we can talk.

Its almost like you WANT the burglar to win.

When you can guarantee the skell breaking into my house will have his gun unloaded, trigger locked and locked up during said entering, then we can talk.

Its almost like you WANT the burglar to win.

Of course they want the burglar to win. He's a poor soul, abused by the system; a Robin Hood type stealing from the rich to feed his poor family (yeah, right). So they DO want the burglars to win as a way to show us "wealthy" individuals how terrible it is that we have things others don't. If we happen to get shot during the act, and have to engage the medical system, even better.

Forum List

Back