Guess what Republicans? We really need the Dept of Education, EPA and Energy

What could be worse than closing down key agencies at critical points in our history?

At a time when our children are falling woefully behind other countries, Republicans want to kill the Dept of Education

At a time when Greenhouse gasses are affecting our climate.......Republicans want to close the Environmental Protection Agency

At a time when we are at the whim of an unstable middle east for oil imports......Republicans want to close the Dept of Energy

No we do not need these agencies. They were once controlled by the States--especially education--you remember when. It was when we had kids that could actually read when they graduated from High school. Bush doubled down on education--Obama quadrupled that and our kids are still behind other countries that don't spend 1/10th the amount on education--that we do.

The EPA is the biggest road block to GREEN energy in this country today.
They have stopped 2 hydro-electric dams in California from being constructed--because of some type of mouse in the valley. They have stopped a large wind farm in California from being built because it would have required a single transmission line being run through a national forest. They constantly stop wind farms because they are now complaining that they are killing birds or in the flight path of birds. Your greenhouse gas theory--is all it is--and in it's deception is why you have been completely CONNED into believing that the EPA is actually doing it's job---:lol::lol:

While the private-sector is drowning under a perpetual recessionary storm, U.S. regulatory agencies are flourishing. "If the federal government’s regulatory operation were a business, it would be one of the 50 biggest in the country in terms of revenues, and the third largest in terms of employees, with more people working for it than McDonald’s, Ford, Disney and Boeing combined," writes John Merline of Investors.com.

Indeed, the federal regulatory business is thriving, and if there is one "victory" President Obama can declare, this is it, because government regulation has grown rapidly under his watch.

Regulatory agencies have seen their combined budgets grow a healthy 16% since 2008, topping $54 billion, according to the annual "Regulator's Budget," compiled by George Washington University and Washington University in St. Louis.

That's at a time when the overall economy grew a paltry 5%.

Since Obama took office, 75 new major regulations have been enacted, costing $38 billion annually, according to a study by the Heritage Foundation. "No other president has imposed as high a number or cost in a comparable time period," wrote James Gattuso, the study’s author.

The Heritage study predicts that this flood of new red tape will only intensify, as hundreds of new regulations will flow from the tentacles of ObamaCare, the Dodd-Frank financial regulation law, and the EPA’s war on global warming.

Regulatory Agencies Boom Under Obama Administration

Last edited:
What could be worse than closing down key agencies at critical points in our history?

At a time when our children are falling woefully behind other countries, Republicans want to kill the Dept of Education

At a time when Greenhouse gasses are affecting our climate.......Republicans want to close the Environmental Protection Agency

At a time when we are at the whim of an unstable middle east for oil imports......Republicans want to close the Dept of Energy

In what year were each of these agencies formed and what have been the improvements that they have rendered?
Are you serious?
Here is the just EPA.
Accomplishment Reports| Data, Planning and Results | US EPA

What do we need the pesky EPA for. We needs lots of chemicals and raw sewage in our water. And lots of chemicals in the air we breathe as well.
Rivers catching on fire were entertaining.
And who needs to swim or eat fish anyway.

How can people get so stupid. Doing away with the EPA? A prime example though of a failed education system.
The wealthy can protect themselves in their gated communities. Swim in pools, drink bottled water etc.
They don't give a damn about the rest of the population. By fighting unions and minimum wages they'll have plenty of cheap labor, like the wealthy in Mexico and other third world countries.

Last edited:
Republicans are against energy research, education, clean water, and clean air.

There is a special place in hell for Republicans.

So you continue with the same failing department got it.

No proof just theory's that keep changing

obama wants us still at the whim of an unstable middle east

So it's looks like rw is a greenie weenie

Ahh winger, it's just the next attack. You hear them already say that very few people should go to college, In fact the Extremist Right wing radio talks about the evils of education all the time... that they are brainwashing people into "liberal" thinking.

The truth is... the more ignorant our population is, the more the Powerful elite can control us and they know it. I can see the next iteration now... "our grandparents only had 8th grade educations and they turned out OK... in fact, they thrived"

If kids today had the same kind of 8th grade education as their grandparents, they too would thrive. An 8th grade education today is more like a 4th grade education in Grandpa's time.

We have an educational system designed not to teach and children not to learn.

I rest my case!

Ahh winger, it's just the next attack. You hear them already say that very few people should go to college, In fact the Extremist Right wing radio talks about the evils of education all the time... that they are brainwashing people into "liberal" thinking.

The truth is... the more ignorant our population is, the more the Powerful elite can control us and they know it. I can see the next iteration now... "our grandparents only had 8th grade educations and they turned out OK... in fact, they thrived"

Just between you and me, Steel? If the youngsters hanging out down at those OWS rallies are the "intelligent" result of having a Department of Education then I'd say it's time for that Department to fade away into obscurity.

I'm not seeing a lot of critical thinking being displayed by the OWS'ers. As a matter of fact they come across as rather naive and simple minded. Now maybe that's the result of sparking up a few too many doobies before they tried to articulate their demands but all I know that listening to them try to run a meeting is the funniest thing I've ever heard.

That's OK... I don't see a lot of Critical Thinking from Conservatives. Oh... y'all LOVE to talk about Critical Thinking.. but only when it's directed towards government and Democrats. You refuse to turn your "supposedly" well tuned Critical Thinking skills on your side's own ideology.

Critical Thinking isn't left/right. It's right/wrong. That's what the boys on the radio conveniently forget to tell you.

Wanna talk about the fracking that has turned the watertables into flammable substances in the Northeast? How about the fracking that is causing earthquakes in OK and AR?

Do you believe every leftwing paranoid conspiracy story every conceived?

You have to be the most gullible member of this forum.

Ummmm... hey slick... I live in PA about 45 minutes South of the area they are fracking. Where do you live? As far as the flammable water... it's not a conspiracy theory.

Then tell me why have our education standards slid to the sub-basement after the inception of the Dept of Ed?

Yeah there's no need to get rid of an agency that labels a natural by product of breathing as toxic waste

We actually get most of our oil from Canada not from the Middle East.

Let me ask you another thing. Who the fuck are you or anyone else to deny kids the opportunity to better themselves? Because the next thing in this line of thinking is to kill student aid, so that only the kids who can "AFFORD" to go to school will be able to do so.... and may the Oligarchy continue.

Your "Conceptual Theater Degree" Bullshit is just that... hyperbolic bullshit.

What you seem to forget, turd, is that it's our money, not theirs. I have every right in the world to determine what's done with my money. You have no right whatsoever. You're nothing but a thug. You just enunciated the ethos of the thug.

You know what you little ****? It's my money too... and I say give our kids the education they deserve, You blind little assholes think YOU are the only ones paying taxes. FUCK OFF, I'm sick of you. Go move somewhere else.... apparently this is no longer your country.

9% unemployment means that there are a hell of a lot more than YOU contributing to society. If you think that YOUR agenda is the only one that matters, then go start your own dictatorship and make YOUR priorities the law of the land.

What is wrong with being a plumber? or an electrican? What degree do you need to own a deli, or be a runner on the stock exchange? All we are doing with making it seem college is mandatory is make people delay going into the workforce by 4-6 years, increase the number of applicants for relatively scant numbers of positions that actually NEED a degree, and burden young people with tons of debt before they even work a single day.

What is better, someone becoming a mason right out of high school, or someone who wastes 4 years on a conceptual theatre degree, goes 120k in debt, and becomes a mason at 25?

There's nothing wrong with being a plumber.... if that is your calling. There's nothing wrong with owning a deli... if that is your calling.

Let me ask you something... when was the last time you looked for a decent job? I mean, not a clerk at McDonald's but a real career.

Let me ask you another thing. Who the fuck are you or anyone else to deny kids the opportunity to better themselves? Because the next thing in this line of thinking is to kill student aid, so that only the kids who can "AFFORD" to go to school will be able to do so.... and may the Oligarchy continue.

Your "Conceptual Theater Degree" Bullshit is just that... hyperbolic bullshit.

I actually went to school for engineering. masters in ChemE. I work as an engineer, so my degree directly correlates to my employment, and I have been working for the same company for 13 years, as I basically do whatever project they need me for. Design, research, construction, etc.

Its not about denying someone anything, its about selling them this crap that higher education is for everyone, and a degree is the only means towards a sucessful career. i was top 2 in my class in grade school, top 4 in high school, then only in the top 10% in college because i chose a hard degree, and for once actually had to study and work at school. College was a no brainer for me because of my aptitude for academics.

We have stigmatized manual labor and trade level work for a whole generation of people, basically selling college as a needed step towards employment

No, we haven't.... we have abandoned it for a high tech labor force. We have minimized manual labor as grunt work who's pay scale can't afford to keep a family with a roof over their head and food in their stomachs without governmental assistance. We have taken trades and made it so most places want an associates' degree in the trade before they'll hire you. There are no more Apprenticeships, On the Job training etc.... they want you trained BEFORE they hire you.

That's exactly why those agencies need to be shut.

The Department of Education has been an utter failure and is the capstone of Statist control of our educational system. We have the educational system of a failed, Marxist state controlled dictatorship and with the same results: a nation of failing idiots. Nowhere is this clearer than in NYC where we spend $18K per student and only 1/6 have the minimum skill to perform at college. It's not the kids, its the sabotaged Progressive educational system

Just between you and me, Steel? If the youngsters hanging out down at those OWS rallies are the "intelligent" result of having a Department of Education then I'd say it's time for that Department to fade away into obscurity.

I'm not seeing a lot of critical thinking being displayed by the OWS'ers. As a matter of fact they come across as rather naive and simple minded. Now maybe that's the result of sparking up a few too many doobies before they tried to articulate their demands but all I know that listening to them try to run a meeting is the funniest thing I've ever heard.

That's OK... I don't see a lot of Critical Thinking from Conservatives. Oh... y'all LOVE to talk about Critical Thinking.. but only when it's directed towards government and Democrats. You refuse to turn your "supposedly" well tuned Critical Thinking skills on your side's own ideology.

Critical Thinking isn't left/right. It's right/wrong. That's what the boys on the radio conveniently forget to tell you.
We have critically considered the alternatives to enslavement to a strong central government, my dear Mr. Steelplate, and we conclude our preference to be regional needs are best ruled by those in the region, not a supreme power that ignores different regions in favor of populous areas. The founders concluded the same thing, allowing churches to dominate education so children would not run wild through the streets, disrespecting local police, eliminating others' right to pursue happiness by owning small businesses deserving of existence large, angry mobs are incapable of granting, considering their quickness to set a match and throw rocks through windows, disabling the business from serving customers who choose to be served by that particular offering. The coffee shop that was pictured around here on some OWS thread and which had its windows all broken and interior trashed up comes to mind.

Mob rule sucks lemons. That's why we chose a Republican form of government to represent the financial interests of those engaged in providing jobs so young families could have a means of support.

I don't understand the discontent, when the alternative is to force government to do all the thinking and manipulating people to do a corporate will that some find not conducive to freedom.

We hope that meets with the approval of the majority of other Americans. We'd be rather hard-pressed to pay community taxes without businesses, and we'd be lessened without the diversity businesses bring to their respective regions and communities.

"when was the last time you looked for a decent job? I mean, not a clerk at McDonald's but a real career."

Since when was a career at McDonald's not real? There was a man in the community we used to live in before retirement who got a part-time job to put him through college at a McDonald's making minimum wage. He found that he liked working around the public more than he liked sitting at a desk his career would cause. He went ahead and worked his way until he got his degree, worked his way up from cleaning up to being assistant manager. He saved as much as he could and purchased the franchise from the owner at retirement. As soon as he had purchased the establishment and was a MacDonald's owner, he used his equity to build two more franchises, one in the growing town we lived in, and another in a community thought too small to support a MacDonald's Hamburger place. <<<Gong!>>> He was right. All 3 business locations took off, and in less than 10 years from the time he was mopping up and cleaning up, he was a millionaire five times over, and all his employees were given scholarships for all their children from this hard-working fellow, who became a community supporter extraordinaire from such a job as you just judged unfit for an ambitious person.

Sometimes those people society looks down their noses at--you know, the ones mopping up the drinks and crumbs somebody else spilled--appreciate the good things in life as much as any other American.

I'm glad this land is free. People can take something considered rubbish by smart people and turn it into a gem for their community with the freedom that intelligence and imagination not to mention a lot of hard work can bring someone society judges unfit because he is wearing an apron and is doing things an elite wouldn't do so that everyone else can enjoy a quick hot meal.

Last edited:
As of June 30, 2009, the market value of the endowment funds of colleges and universities was $326 billion, reflecting a decrease of 21 percent compared to 2008, when the total was $413 billion. In 2009, the 120 colleges with the largest endowments accounted for $243 billion, or about three-fourths of the national total. The five colleges with the largest endowments in 2009 were Harvard University ($26 billion), Yale University ($16 billion), Princeton University ($13 billion), Stanford University ($13 billion), and the University of Texas System ($11 billion).

Source = US Department of education

Consider this....bailing out AIG cost the US taxpayer $186 BILLION

Dept. of Ed budget 2011.........................................$23. 4 Billion

nobody is calling for closing down schools. It just makes no sense to tax us, send the money to Washington to the department of education only so they can send the money back to states (after skimming their share for admin costs of course)

And of course, you don't get back what you pay in if you are a red state. Think about all those favors that your money will be used to buy in places like CA where we are educating half of Mexico.

Wrong. Some red states get back more than they pay in to the feds.

As of June 30, 2009, the market value of the endowment funds of colleges and universities was $326 billion, reflecting a decrease of 21 percent compared to 2008, when the total was $413 billion. In 2009, the 120 colleges with the largest endowments accounted for $243 billion, or about three-fourths of the national total. The five colleges with the largest endowments in 2009 were Harvard University ($26 billion), Yale University ($16 billion), Princeton University ($13 billion), Stanford University ($13 billion), and the University of Texas System ($11 billion).

Source = US Department of education

Consider this....bailing out AIG cost the US taxpayer $186 BILLION

Dept. of Ed budget 2011.........................................$23. 4 Billion

Moral of the story: US government has no business in the insurance business

nobody is calling for closing down schools. It just makes no sense to tax us, send the money to Washington to the department of education only so they can send the money back to states (after skimming their share for admin costs of course)

And of course, you don't get back what you pay in if you are a red state. Think about all those favors that your money will be used to buy in places like CA where we are educating half of Mexico.

My apologies for trying to be subtle.

Once the money leaves your state, it could very well not come back. Someone else decides who gets what based on things your state may not even find relevent.

So, if we kill the dept of education, it does not mean we quit paying taxes for school. What it means is that Kansas pays for Kansas schools and CA pays for CA schools. And if the people of Kansas want better schools, they can pony up.

And you can take that to the county or district level too.

But, each state gets to decide.

People crow about Denmark's system. I know nothing about it. I do know that their population is less than the population of states like Wisconsin (and if I have that confused with Norway....I apologize....two of the three laps are at 5 million...one is at 9 million). The point being that a state like Ohio has more population than they do...why can't Ohio decide for itself ? Why must Ohio launder it's money through D.C.

And if you have someone else calling the shots, you might find that your cut of the till is less than what you put in if you happen to be on the wrong side of the aisle.

If one state needs (or thinks it needs) more....another state is going to go deficit.

My apologies for trying to be subtle.

Once the money leaves your state, it could very well not come back. Someone else decides who gets what based on things your state may not even find relevent.

So, if we kill the dept of education, it does not mean we quit paying taxes for school. What it means is that Kansas pays for Kansas schools and CA pays for CA schools. And if the people of Kansas want better schools, they can pony up.

And you can take that to the county or district level too.

But, each state gets to decide.

People crow about Denmark's system. I know nothing about it. I do know that their population is less than the population of states like Wisconsin (and if I have that confused with Norway....I apologize....two of the three laps are at 5 million...one is at 9 million). The point being that a state like Ohio has more population than they do...why can't Ohio decide for itself ? Why must Ohio launder it's money through D.C.

And if you have someone else calling the shots, you might find that your cut of the till is less than what you put in if you happen to be on the wrong side of the aisle.

If one state needs (or thinks it needs) more....another state is going to go deficit.

Over 90% of school funding is local. It is the local communities and their states that decide how their schools are run.

One thing we can trash is that No Child Left Behind nonsense that tells schools that all their funding is dependent on turning D students into C students

Forum List

Back