Guess what Republicans? We really need the Dept of Education, EPA and Energy

Over 90% of school funding is local. It is the local communities and their states that decide how their schools are run.

Link please.

If that were the case, then explain why even have a department of education at the federal level.

One thing we can trash is that No Child Left Behind nonsense that tells schools that all their funding is dependent on turning D students into C students

Thanks for providing a key reason as to why the Dept of Education should go away.

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Over 90% of school funding is local. It is the local communities and their states that decide how their schools are run.

Link please.

If that were the case, then explain why even have a department of education at the federal level.

Education in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

One of the biggest debates in funding public schools is funding by local taxes or state taxes. The federal government supplies around 8.5% of the public school system funds, according to a 2005 report by the National Center for Education Statistics. The remaining split between state and local governments averages 48.7 percent from states and 42.8 percent from local sources. However, the division varies widely. In Hawaii local funds make up 1.7 percent, while state sources account for nearly 90.1 percent.

Federal Government funds around 8.5% of the school budget but gets 100% of the blame from conservatives

Last edited:
One thing we can trash is that No Child Left Behind nonsense that tells schools that all their funding is dependent on turning D students into C students

Thanks for providing a key reason as to why the Dept of Education should go away.

Or else we could just scrap NCLB

As long as there is a potential mechanism for federal control like this.....our moronic federal legislators will try to exercise control through it.

Remove it and you remove the temptation to utilize it.

There's nothing wrong with being a plumber.... if that is your calling. There's nothing wrong with owning a deli... if that is your calling.

Let me ask you something... when was the last time you looked for a decent job? I mean, not a clerk at McDonald's but a real career.

Let me ask you another thing. Who the fuck are you or anyone else to deny kids the opportunity to better themselves? Because the next thing in this line of thinking is to kill student aid, so that only the kids who can "AFFORD" to go to school will be able to do so.... and may the Oligarchy continue.

Your "Conceptual Theater Degree" Bullshit is just that... hyperbolic bullshit.

I actually went to school for engineering. masters in ChemE. I work as an engineer, so my degree directly correlates to my employment, and I have been working for the same company for 13 years, as I basically do whatever project they need me for. Design, research, construction, etc.

Its not about denying someone anything, its about selling them this crap that higher education is for everyone, and a degree is the only means towards a sucessful career. i was top 2 in my class in grade school, top 4 in high school, then only in the top 10% in college because i chose a hard degree, and for once actually had to study and work at school. College was a no brainer for me because of my aptitude for academics.

We have stigmatized manual labor and trade level work for a whole generation of people, basically selling college as a needed step towards employment

No, we haven't.... we have abandoned it for a high tech labor force. We have minimized manual labor as grunt work who's pay scale can't afford to keep a family with a roof over their head and food in their stomachs without governmental assistance. We have taken trades and made it so most places want an associates' degree in the trade before they'll hire you. There are no more Apprenticeships, On the Job training etc.... they want you trained BEFORE they hire you.

There are plenty of apprenticeships out there, most of the trade unions on my jobs have 2-3 onsite at any time, depending on the workforce. An AS is really only for certain trades, electricans maybe.

A high tech society still needs low tech workers, and those workers can make a good living, they just have to work for it, not sit behind a desk.

Trades is one area where I see unions as benifical. The biggest benefit is they handle thier own pensions and insurances via a set hourly rate the companies pay per labor hour.

If someone working a trade wants to advance they can form thier own company, most of the smaller construction companies I work with were formed by guys in the trade they hire.

Yes we did see the reaction of democrats to NCLB, they hated accountability so they cheated for the students.

Thats a proud moment for you right winger................

Yes we did see the reaction of democrats to NCLB, they hated accountability so they cheated for the students.

NCLB is a Republican initiative

It sets up an arbitrary exam that has no bearing on whether a child will succeed in life. It does not test life skills, it tests arbitrary academic skills

Rather than encouraging schools to enhance the skills of all students, it forces them to concentrate on those students who are in danger of failing the exam

It sets up an arbitrary exam that has no bearing on whether a child will succeed in life. It does not test life skills, it tests arbitrary academic skills

Rather than encouraging schools to enhance the skills of all students, it forces them to concentrate on those students who are in danger of failing the exam

Please come out of the trees so you can see the forrest.

I will ask again...if what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) about 90% being local, why do we need a federal dept of eduction ?

I will ask again...if what you say is true (and I have no reason to doubt it) about 90% being local, why do we need a federal dept of eduction ?

You can't play both sides of the fence. Either the federal government has a role in our nations education or it doesn't. You want each individual state and each individual school to operate as it's own individual fifedom setting their own curriculum, setting their own standards

The federal government acts as the glue to those hundreds of thousands of school districts. Allowing them to share successes, helping those districts that are struggling, offering incentives for excellence

The US has to compete on a global level with it's education resources. As of late, it is doing poorly. We need education initiatives, we need to set realistic standards. The best way to accomplish this is not to divide the job up 50 ways and hope for the best

You can't play both sides of the fence. Either the federal government has a role in our nations education or it doesn't. You want each individual state and each individual school to operate as it's own individual fifedom setting their own curriculum, setting their own standards

The federal government acts as the glue to those hundreds of thousands of school districts. Allowing them to share successes, helping those districts that are struggling, offering incentives for excellence

The US has to compete on a global level with it's education resources. As of late, it is doing poorly. We need education initiatives, we need to set realistic standards. The best way to accomplish this is not to divide the job up 50 ways and hope for the best

If you are asking the question, the answer (from the standpoint of several on this thread) is that it does not have a role in education. It has been screwing it up from the start of time. I can recall, in Scottsdale AZ, when the dept of education was ramming text books down our throats and threatening to pull funding if we didn't utilize them...this in spite of the fact that there were several that 80% plus parents did not want in the schools. And if you don't believe they can operate well autonomously, then you need to show me why and how you think it is that the quality of leadership is any better at the federal level than it is at the state level. I can get at my school board. I can't get at the dept of education and since my kids are in the local schools I find that a stupid configuration.

Please stop making statements about what the U.S. "has" to do. We don't need homogonized standards. We need parents who are engaged. My daughter's friend is applying to graduate school for a technial degree. When she looks at the rosters of graduate students at schools she is applying to....75% of them have the last name of Lee, Chin, Wu, or Fong. And why do you think that is the case.

Or federal department of education is a joke and a waste of money. It does not take the place of parents or of local control. It needs to go...

NOW.

Last edited:
What do we need the pesky EPA for. We needs lots of chemicals and raw sewage in our water. And lots of chemicals in the air we breathe as well.
Rivers catching on fire were entertaining.
And who needs to swim or eat fish anyway.

How can people get so stupid. Doing away with the EPA? A prime example though of a failed education system.

That would be getting rid of the federal EPA.

States can do what they like.

How does that jive with your education ?

No, states shouldn't be able to "do as they like". Texas should not be able to dispose of nuclear waste in unlined pits near an aquifer that feeds other states.

Radioactive Waste Dump over Ogallala Aquifer?

Nuclear Waste Threatens Nation's Largest Freshwater Aquifer

If you are asking the question, the answer (from the standpoint of several on this thread) is that it does not have a role in education. It has been screwing it up from the start of time. I can recall, in Scottsdale AZ, when the dept of education was ramming text books down our throats and threatening to pull funding if we didn't utilize them...this in spite of the fact that there were several that 80% plus parents did not want in the schools. And if you don't believe they can operate well autonomously, then you need to show me why and how you think it is that the quality of leadership is any better at the federal level than it is at the state level. I can get at my school board. I can't get at the dept of education and since my kids are in the local schools I find that a stupid configuration.

Please stop making statements about what the U.S. "has" to do. We don't need homogonized standards. We need parents who are engaged. My daughter's friend is applying to graduate school for a technial degree. When she looks at the rosters of graduate students at schools she is applying to....75% of them have the last name of Lee, Chin, Wu, or Fong. And why do you think that is the case.

Or federal department of education is a joke and a waste of money. It does not take the place of parents or of local control. It needs to go...

NOW.

See what I told you? You are already playing both sides of the fence. The federal government only provides 8% of the funding and yet you blame them for Arizonas poor education system

Arizona is a poster child for why we need more federal involvement in our educational system. They have slashed school budgets, implemented lower standards, allowed the rightwing to use their schools as pawns

We need to compete as a nation on a global scale. A hodge lodge of educational standards is not the way to do it

The US isn't ranked that badly in education, worldwide. Around 14th place.

The interesting thing is that all of the other countries that are doing better than us have much stronger centralized education systems then we do.

The claim that "privatizing" or "de-regulating" education will somehow make it better is moronic.

It would be great to have someone describe how those systems work.

From what I recall they tended to not force everyone into the same fit an they don't dump their emotionally damaged kids into the schools as a cheap way of dealing with them.

It is obvious that our Dept of Education isn't so strong and should go away in favor of something else. Like state run depts of education where states can decide for themselves just how strong an educatoin they want to provide.

What is moronic is to continue to allow this dept to exist when it does not serve kids at all.

Currently at the top of almost all lists are Finland and Singapore.

Finland's education reforms of 1968.

Singapore.

One of the keys to Finland's success is recruiting the top college graduates to be teachers and then paying them a REALLY GOOD salary.

What could be worse than closing down key agencies at critical points in our history?

At a time when our children are falling woefully behind other countries, Republicans want to kill the Dept of Education

At a time when Greenhouse gasses are affecting our climate.......Republicans want to close the Environmental Protection Agency

At a time when we are at the whim of an unstable middle east for oil imports......Republicans want to close the Dept of Energy

The Republicans want to get rid of the Dept. of Education, because they are so prone to gaffes, that they don't want the rest of us to be smart enough to notice.

They want to get rid of the EPA, because the less regulations and clean up you have to do, the more money you can put towards your profits. Only trouble is, eventually we won't have a sustainable environment to live in anymore.

And yeah........they want to get rid of the Dept. of Energy and replace it with Dept. of Oil and Drilling. Who needs green energy?

Yes because Obama is soooooooo smart.

Obama fails without his TelePrompter - YouTube

What do we need the pesky EPA for. We needs lots of chemicals and raw sewage in our water. And lots of chemicals in the air we breathe as well.
Rivers catching on fire were entertaining.
And who needs to swim or eat fish anyway.

How can people get so stupid. Doing away with the EPA? A prime example though of a failed education system.

How can people be so stupid as to believe the sky is gonna fall (literally) if some beauracratic government agency doesn't have oversight over it?

Forum List

Back