GREAT!: Number Of 401(K) Millionaires Hits Record...

Or it may not. Other technical analysis I've seen says we have a nice road ahead.

Stay invested, but remain watchful.

Wall street has a repetitive history Mac

~S~
Sure. Hell, I'm an investment advisor and I always look for clues. You may want to check these guys out: CiovaccoCapital, they're great on the technical side. Their charts are looking very positive.

There's technical analysis, there's fundamental analysis, and then there's all kinds of other methods. Just gotta stay smart and open.

Or it may not. Other technical analysis I've seen says we have a nice road ahead.

~S~
Sure. Hell, I'm an investment advisor and I always look for clues. You may want to check these guys out: CiovaccoCapital, they're great on the technical side. Their charts are looking very positive.

There's technical analysis, there's fundamental analysis, and then there's all kinds of other methods. Just gotta stay smart and open.

Ok Mac, how would you advise 40 yrs of investments around this>>....>>???

693-0706094850-derivatives-time-bomb.jpg

~S~

Ok Mac, how would you advise 40 yrs of investments around this>>....>>???

693-0706094850-derivatives-time-bomb.jpg
DIVERSIFY

:laugh:

I think a time is coming where we'll see higher allocations overseas, particularly emerging markets. This mess we've made for ourselves will continue to drag us down because our "leaders" are failing us, and we're happy to let them.

Banking on your 401k is risky to say the least.
Clinton/Democrats tried to pass through legislation to place a tax on 401k / IRA assets. It failed.
Obama wanted to place caps, and tax assets over certain valuations. It failed.

Eventually however, as things continue to worsen as far as U.S. Debt is concerned and SocSec shortages - I believe it is almost certain the government will not be able to stop itself from getting it's grubby hands on your money.
If the nation veers left, and a true liberal wanting to pass universal healthcare - I would not be surprised if the government tried to all out seize it in some way.

Of course there is the ridiculous over-valuation on the markets that give 401ks their value.
When it tumbles, 401ks will tumble with it.
Ask anyone who retired 2000's - 2009.

Good news......

But having $1 million is a 401k does not buy you a guaranteed retirement
/——/ Nothing is guaranteed except taxes and death, but those who built the wealth have s better chance of keeping it,

It will get you about $25-30 k a year in retirement
Not exactly luxury

At 30K a year, you would go through about $300,000 in ten years when you hit the age of 75. In 20 years, you would only use about 600K at 30K a year. But then again you'd be 85 years old.

I'm excluding what you would also get on SS in addition to the non-stop interest you'd still be getting on the money you haven't used during those years.

I'd say he's doing pretty good.
You can be comfortable but you won’t have a millionaires lifestyle.

Financial advisors recommend you take out 4 percent of your 401 k each year. That would be $40,000.
But that $40k is taxable so you actually get around $25 k

Social Security may add another $30 k giving you $55 k a year retirement

Not too bad assuming you have everything paid for such as your mortgage and vehicles. In many cities and states across the land you can get a homestead exemption from property taxes to boot.

So 55K and all you really have to pay is your utilities, insurance and whatever secondary coverage you have for Medicare. That is of course besides food.
I’m not saying that one million in your 401k is not good. It is better than most have
Just pointing out that you will not live like a millionaire

Personally, I have a pension that pays 2/3 of my former salary. Beats the heck out of a 401 k

/——/ Nothing is guaranteed except taxes and death, but those who built the wealth have s better chance of keeping it,

Not exactly luxury

At 30K a year, you would go through about $300,000 in ten years when you hit the age of 75. In 20 years, you would only use about 600K at 30K a year. But then again you'd be 85 years old.

I'm excluding what you would also get on SS in addition to the non-stop interest you'd still be getting on the money you haven't used during those years.

Financial advisors recommend you take out 4 percent of your 401 k each year. That would be $40,000.

Not too bad assuming you have everything paid for such as your mortgage and vehicles. In many cities and states across the land you can get a homestead exemption from property taxes to boot.

So 55K and all you really have to pay is your utilities, insurance and whatever secondary coverage you have for Medicare. That is of course besides food.
I’m not saying that one million in your 401k is not good. It is better than most have

Personally, I have a pension that pays 2/3 of my former salary. Beats the heck out of a 401 k
/——-/ I don’t have a pension, but if I did, I’d still have a 401k. With proper execution, you can earn dividends plus premium on covered call options and earn 10% annually or about $100k. That plus the pension and social security would give you a comfortable income for life.

Not exactly luxury

Damn straight. Old fashioned, true pensions beat the hell out of 401ks 100 times over.
Number one - it was part of your compensation. It didn't cost you a dime.
I am also among the fortunate of having 26 years of a pension. I am not old enough to draw yet, but it is there. I won't even need the 401k and 403b I have.

Pensions are one of the greatest losses the American workers lost - and no one even talks about it.

Not exactly luxury

Damn straight. Old fashioned, true pensions beat the hell out of 401ks 100 times over.
I am also among the fortunate of having 26 years of a pension. I am not old enough to draw yet, but it is there. I won't even need the 401k and 403b I have.

Pensions are one of the greatest losses the American workers lost - and no one even talks about it.
/——/ There is no guarantee a pension won’t go belly up. You should have a Roth or 401k as a backup.

/——/ There is no guarantee a pension won’t go belly up. You should have a Roth or 401k as a backup.

Your confusing it with altered pensions.
I am talking about the original-old fashioned pension. Before the days where corporations were allowed to take assets out and invest. Often investing in themselves.

Not exactly luxury

/——-/ I don’t have a pension, but if I did, I’d still have a 401k. With proper execution, you can earn dividends plus premium on covered call options and earn 10% annually or about $100k. That plus the pension and social security would give you a comfortable income for life.
I have both

Not exactly luxury

The problem with pensions is that they are not guaranteed. I knew several people who spent their entire life at a company and ended up getting laid off a year before they were guaranteed to collect at retirement.

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

Good news......

But having $1 million is a 401k does not buy you a guaranteed retirement
If your smart it does. So...sorry you are excluded.

I have a pension......now THAT is smart
Good thing because you aren’t capable of handling a 401k.

Government retiree?
Bingo

Got a 401 k also
No 401K here, just a financial adviser.

See, positive things are happening in our country. I know Democrat Fake News tells its sycophants the sky is falling, but it really isn't. There's a lot of good news out there.

A record number of investors became 401(k) millionaires this spring.

At the end of the second quarter, 168,000 people with 401(k)s managed by Fidelity Investments had at least $1 million in their accounts, a rise of 50,000 people from a year earlier when there were 118,000, according to a new study by Fidelity, one of the nation's largest administrators of workplace retirement accounts. While gaining, that exclusive group of savers is still just a fraction of the 16.1 million people who have a 401(k) account managed by the fund company.

Building a million bucks-sized nest egg doesn't happen overnight and is a result of workers who invest for the long term and put a chunk of their savings into stocks.

"Individuals are increasing their savings rates, they're taking advantage of their company match and they're keeping a healthy percentage of stocks in their account,...

Number of Fidelity 401(k) millionaires hits record high
DRUDGE REPORT 2018®

people made a ton of $$ in the market since 2009 ... look at a DOW 10 yer chart.

NASDAQ

NASDAQ Composite Index - 10 Year Daily Chart

DOW

main-qimg-65405f9edf1215b10423066fcaeb9425

So, you're saying that the "Social Security Trust Fund" should be invested in US equities. Thank you

Social Security sends out pamphlets every couple of years or so. If you are older, and take that pamphlet to a reputable investment company, and ask them how much you would be worth today if all that SS money was privately invested, you'd probably shit yourself.

It think most all of us would be millionaires today, and some of us able to retire before 65 (67 in my case). But even if we never enjoyed any of that money, our family will when we pass it down. Today if you die before collecting SS, all that money went bye-bye and your family doesn't see a dime of it.

Well said. Excellent observation. Thanks. :thup:

Forum List

Back