Gray Dawn: Green Bulbs, Black Hole...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
On New Year’s Day, in addition to a hangover, America will wake up in the pale winter light to one grim consequence of the Bush administration’s never-requited desire to be loved by the left: the traditional 100-watt light bulb will be banned for sale in the United States.

At the height of the panic over “man-caused global warming” (one of history’s greatest frauds), lawmakers felt compelled to be seen to do something, and Edison’s bright bulb made a handy fall guy.

In 2007, Congress passed and Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act, mandating a 27 percent increase in light-bulb-energy efficiency by 2014. The theory: Force the world to swap its incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs and other types of lighting, and carbon-dioxide emissions would be reduced by . . . wait for it . . . a whopping 1 percent.

That was the same year that Al Gore’s harum-scarum “documentary,” “An Inconvenient Truth,” won an Oscar. But the years since have not been kind to Gore and his fellow lunatics in the cult of global warming — now called “climate change” just in case (as some scientists now suspect) the earth is really cooling.

Perhaps the biggest blow — besides the awkward fact that the earth has warmed and cooled for millennia without the slightest help from puny mankind — was the release of the “Climategate” e-mails in 2009 and again last month. The correspondence...

Read more: Green bulbs’ folly—Michael A. Walsh - NYPOST.com

Wow... I've heard from "Conservatives" that it was Obama that banned the bulb.

But hey... you know what? personally? I'd rather buy a 24 watt CFL and get the same light as a 100 watt Incandescent.... silly me... I like to save money AND see in the dark.

Just because I'm the defiant type, I was going to run out and buy a bunch of the 100 watt bulbs.then I realized that I don't use them anywhere in my house. Didn't make much sense to do that so I opted not to.

Yeah, I'm sick of big government but these days you and I are a dying breed. more and more sad people are being raised under the government security blanket. Sad thing is they wan't have the intelligence to even know what happened to them.

But hey... you know what? personally? I'd rather buy a 24 watt CFL and get the same light as a 100 watt Incandescent.... silly me... I like to save money AND see in the dark.

Thats your choice, but what if you don't like the light from CFL's? Why should the government tell you you HAVE to use something other than a 100W incandescent, a product that is time tested, safe, and effective?

So you like CFLs, good for you, you are not impacted by this, but why should someone be FORCED to do something you like, as opposed to doing what they like, especially when it comes to something as inconsequential as a light bulb?

Why should a person be forced to Not smoke Marijuana? Why shouldn't people be able to walk across a street between the intersections?

I don't know... if it's so inconsequential... why is this such a hot button topic?

Thats your choice, but what if you don't like the light from CFL's? Why should the government tell you you HAVE to use something other than a 100W incandescent, a product that is time tested, safe, and effective?

So you like CFLs, good for you, you are not impacted by this, but why should someone be FORCED to do something you like, as opposed to doing what they like, especially when it comes to something as inconsequential as a light bulb?
I have to agree with the testing part....
I have heard you can't just casually clean up the new bulbs due to what is in them..

I have to agree with the testing part....
I have heard you can't just casually clean up the new bulbs due to what is in them..

Mercury.

From the government:

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

Before Cleanup

* Have people and pets leave the room.
* Air out the room for 5-10 minutes by opening a window or door to the outdoor environment.
* Shut off the central forced air heating/air-conditioning system, if you have one.
* Collect materials needed to clean up broken bulb:
o stiff paper or cardboard;
o sticky tape;
o damp paper towels or disposable wet wipes (for hard surfaces); and
o a glass jar with a metal lid or a sealable plastic bag.

During Cleanup

* DO NOT VACUUM. Vacuuming is not recommended unless broken glass remains after all other cleanup steps have been taken. Vacuuming could spread mercury-containing powder or mercury vapor.
* Be thorough in collecting broken glass and visible powder.
* Place cleanup materials in a sealable container.

After Cleanup

* Promptly place all bulb debris and cleanup materials outdoors in a trash container or protected area until materials can be disposed of properly. Avoid leaving any bulb fragments or cleanup materials indoors.
* If practical, continue to air out the room where the bulb was broken and leave the heating/air conditioning system shut off for several hours.

But you can trust them to err on the side of caution, right?

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation - USATODAY.com

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation
By Alison Young and Blake Morrison, USA TODAY

Updated 3/14/2011 5:44:47 PM |

The Transportation Security Administration announced Friday that it would retest every full-body X-ray scanner that emits ionizing radiation — 247 machines at 38 airports — after maintenance records on some of the devices showed radiation levels 10 times higher than expected. ...

I don't know a single person who has said they elected their officials to go to Washington to ban light bulbs. It's just another stupid Big Government over-reach. They've become so tiresome. People are now beginning to truly loathe Government.

Why should a person be forced to Not smoke Marijuana? Why shouldn't people be able to walk across a street between the intersections?

I don't know... if it's so inconsequential... why is this such a hot button topic?

I actually agree that pot should be legalized. With reference to other drugs, it is of course, a calculation between personal freedom, the protection of people from themselves. A descion is made that outlawing a drug is better for society than letting it be legal.

As for the jaywalking thing, another calculation has been made. It is better to make it illegal, thus attempting again to protect people from themselves, and more importantly, vehicles.

When it comes to the lightbulbs, however, there is to me, a disconnect. The person using the 100 watt incandescent has paid for it, and pays for more electricity to use it. That lightbulb has ZERO impact on other people, it doesnt try to steal your purse for drug money, or it doesnt blunder out into the street when you are driving, so the question is, if a person wants to use a 100 watt incandesent bulb in thier own home, why should the government be able to tell them "No"?

Who the hell uses 100w bulbs anyway? It's pissing in an ocean of energy waste.

Big Government cannot possibly allow the People to decide which bulb they prefer. Just can't be allowed. If their bulbs are so great,why do they have to force the Citizens to buy them? It's like their Health Insurance Mandate. If their ideas are so wonderful,why do they have to force the Citizens to go along? Why not just let the people be free to decide? I guess it's always about the control for Big Government though. It's so damn sickening.

Last summer the chore of painting a bedroom showed up on my Honey Do list. Because of lots of big oak and elm tree cover not much natural light came through the room's two windows and the low watt ceiling and lamp lights didn't help illuminate the place well enough for painting IMO, so off I went to buy a couple of 100 watt bulbs to help make the job easier.

But I couldn't find any at Lowes or Home Depot, so ended up buying two of the new compact fluorescents that give off the equivalent of 100 watts, cost 7 bucks and change. On the way home though I passed a light fixture store and stopped in. They had the 2 old fashioned 100 watt bulbs I wanted, less than a buck a piece. So I returned the others and went home and made the bride happy. And then started painting the room later that day.

Big Government cannot possibly allow the People to decide which bulb they prefer. Just can't be allowed. If their bulbs are so great,why do they have to force the Citizens to buy them? It's like their Health Insurance Mandate. If their ideas are so wonderful,why do they have to force the Citizens to go along? Why not just let the people be free to decide? I guess it's always about the control for Big Government though. It's so damn sickening.

it's really not that hard to understand.

our energy resources are not unlimited. get a grip.

Last summer the chore of painting a bedroom showed up on my Honey Do list. Because of lots of big oak and elm tree cover not much natural light came through the room's two windows and the low watt ceiling and lamp lights didn't help illuminate the place well enough for painting IMO, so off I went to buy a couple of 100 watt bulbs to help make the job easier.

But I couldn't find any at Lowes or Home Depot, so ended up buying two of the new compact fluorescents that give off the equivalent of 100 watts, cost 7 bucks and change. On the way home though I passed a light fixture store and stopped in. They had the 2 old fashioned 100 watt bulbs I wanted, less than a buck a piece. So I returned the others and went home and made the bride happy. And then started painting the room later that day.

Be careful,you might be receiving an unpleasant visit form the Global Warming Gestapo any day now. Better hide that illegal contraband.

Last edited:

Actually, it was legislation written and passed by democrats who had just gotten control of both Houses of Congress as one of their FIRST ACTS as part of their first 100 hour plan...to screw America.

Bush signed it because it contained, along with other things important to conservatives, funding for RESEARCH (NOT paying operating cost for companies like Solyndra) for bio fuels made from things like switch grass. I'm sure you heard Bush talk about that if you've ever listened to him talk about energy independence. It also opened up new lands for oil, natural gas and shell oil exploration. See the job situation in South Dakota for the results of those provisions. But if Pelosi had, had her way...THAT and certain alternative energy research funding would NOT have been in the legislation.

Yes, Bush signed it...a compromise bill...to get a LOT of what he and MOST conservatives wanted for energy policy. But it was just because it was the best he could get!

Oh, and by the way. If using those DEADLY TOXIC florescent bulbs that will haunt future generations from landfill contamination for the next hundred years is suppose to save us so much freakin' money...why in the hell have electricity prices and bills gone up 30%?

Kind of defies logic don't it? Of course it does, because it was BULL SHIT!

Care to guess who owns the first patent on compact florescent light bulbs....wait for it....GE!

That's right, the same General Electric whose CEO, Jeffery Emult, now seat next to Obama as his Jobs Czar. Now THAT does not defy logic. It's pretty self explanatory!

Oh, and by the way. They...GE...also just happen to be the largest producer of windmill generation systems in the world. Nah...that's just coincidence...not conspiracy. ;~0

You believe that don't ya? ;~)

Forum List

Back