Gray Dawn: Green Bulbs, Black Hole...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by paulitician, Dec 13, 2011.

1. paulitician

paulitician Platinum Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    On New Year’s Day, in addition to a hangover, America will wake up in the pale winter light to one grim consequence of the Bush administration’s never-requited desire to be loved by the left: the traditional 100-watt light bulb will be banned for sale in the United States.

At the height of the panic over “man-caused global warming” (one of history’s greatest frauds), lawmakers felt compelled to be seen to do something, and Edison’s bright bulb made a handy fall guy.

In 2007, Congress passed and Bush signed the Energy Independence and Security Act, mandating a 27 percent increase in light-bulb-energy efficiency by 2014. The theory: Force the world to swap its incandescent bulbs for compact fluorescent bulbs and other types of lighting, and carbon-dioxide emissions would be reduced by . . . wait for it . . . a whopping 1 percent.

That was the same year that Al Gore’s harum-scarum “documentary,” “An Inconvenient Truth,” won an Oscar. But the years since have not been kind to Gore and his fellow lunatics in the cult of global warming — now called “climate change” just in case (as some scientists now suspect) the earth is really cooling.

Perhaps the biggest blow — besides the awkward fact that the earth has warmed and cooled for millennia without the slightest help from puny mankind — was the release of the “Climategate” e-mails in 2009 and again last month. The correspondence...

Read more: Green bulbs’ folly—Michael A. Walsh - NYPOST.com

2. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    Who isn't sick of Big Government at this point?

3. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Wow... I've heard from "Conservatives" that it was Obama that banned the bulb.

But hey... you know what? personally? I'd rather buy a 24 watt CFL and get the same light as a 100 watt Incandescent.... silly me... I like to save money AND see in the dark.

4. PredFan

PredFan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,623
    Just because I'm the defiant type, I was going to run out and buy a bunch of the 100 watt bulbs.then I realized that I don't use them anywhere in my house. Didn't make much sense to do that so I opted not to.

Yeah, I'm sick of big government but these days you and I are a dying breed. more and more sad people are being raised under the government security blanket. Sad thing is they wan't have the intelligence to even know what happened to them.

5. konradv

konradv Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,662
    Who isn't sick of you? Got a lot of nerve calling others "lunatics". I've never seen so many complaining aabout a 75% savings!!! :cuckoo:

6. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,915
    Thats your choice, but what if you don't like the light from CFL's? Why should the government tell you you HAVE to use something other than a 100W incandescent, a product that is time tested, safe, and effective?

So you like CFLs, good for you, you are not impacted by this, but why should someone be FORCED to do something you like, as opposed to doing what they like, especially when it comes to something as inconsequential as a light bulb?

7. Steelplate

Steelplate Bluesman

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +932
    Why should a person be forced to Not smoke Marijuana? Why shouldn't people be able to walk across a street between the intersections?

I don't know... if it's so inconsequential... why is this such a hot button topic?

8. Luissa

Luissa Annoying Customer Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,664
    I have to agree with the testing part....
    I have heard you can't just casually clean up the new bulbs due to what is in them..

9. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Mercury.

From the government:

Cleaning Up a Broken Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb (CFL) | Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs (CFLs) | US EPA

But you can trust them to err on the side of caution, right?

TSA to retest airport body scanners for radiation - USATODAY.com

10. paulitician

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,972
    I don't know a single person who has said they elected their officials to go to Washington to ban light bulbs. It's just another stupid Big Government over-reach. They've become so tiresome. People are now beginning to truly loathe Government.