Govt: "Run it like a business"??? WHY???

So, to get it clear:

Feds can secure the shipping port for BMW in Charleston
Feds can secure and maintain the shipping roads for BMW from Chas to Atlanta
Feds can NOT provide aid to the same city that port is in when it is hit by a hurricane?

Surely that isn't what the GOP wants me to vote in support of.

To the city? No.. To fix its portion of the port where interstate or international commerce is taking place? Yes...

Whether you wish to support the government working within the confines of its founding document (the document that specifically grants and limits the powers of the federal government), is up to you.. it should not be a GOP or DEM issue, it is an issue of adherence to the law... and you are either for that, or against that.. and if you are against it, you are more than welcome to help in any way to use the amendment process to amend the constitution to change it

Wow. Well, thanks for the honesty.

It reaffirms why I will not be voting for any far right, Tea Party or GOP candidates this fall, as that mentality seems to be shared by more on that side.

And may I add, I pray your home city isn't hit by a natural disaster. I would GLADLY support my federal government violating the Constitution by sending you aid, even my tax dollar aid. How can a sane human NOT support that just because a 250 year old piece of paper didn't say so?

Oh....and I'm guessing you do not speed even 1mph over the limit right? You know, "rule of law" and all.

Whether you would support it or any charity is irrelevant

You wish for the government to have unlimited power, unrestrained by the constitution...

I stand for a constitution that specifically grants and limits the federal government, but also a constitution that has the ability to be amended thru the proper process

dave, you stand for nothing of the sort, except libertarian "societies of equals" that dominate governments and the people.

Son, that will never happen.

It's interesting that you bring that up. After Katrina, a lot of libertarians and uber-rightwingers were against helping Louisiana. And yet the main reason the city flooded was because the Mississippi river had been rerouted to the point that made flooding a certainty--all to accommodate shipping throughout the entire country.

In an application of their logic:

One would have to argue that, if a huge fire broke out in Honolulu, and the Honolulu Fire Dept was overwhelmed, that the firefighters of the US Navy at Pearl Harbor would be forbidden by the Constitution from assisting.

Thats their logic in action. How can one vote for that?
It appears that you have become an actual conservative instead of a libertarian.

Pretty cool. Libertarians are the bane of our existence, imo.

Yeah.

Libertarians want a place with a little government possible, or even none. Places like Mexico and Afghanistan offer just that. Dont think they'd advocate living there though.

I'm starting to see that.

This one is arguing that it is OK for the Feds to secure and maintain the shipping lanes for BMW, Microsoft, WalMart to move their for-profit materials through the Charleston Port, onto Charleston roads, and through South Carolina highways.

BUT, when Charleston is hammered by a hurricane, that same federal govt cannot provide aid.

So, the Constitution allows the Feds to aid BMW and WalMart, but not the City of Charleston, SC??????

Did anyone say the fed was supposed to help WalMart or any company? No.. It was stated to have the fed be responsible only for the things within the scope of its constitutionally charged power

Nice try though.. try to refrain from lying about what was said

People in Charleston wouldn't be able to shop online without power. In the name of Interstate Commerce, wouldnt the Feds need to restore power to the city?

The power company is a federally owned and operated thing??

Ehh.. wrong answer

Government does not prop up nor control whether a company is specifically able to do its business... It secures the laws of commerce, the security of commerce, and the freedom of commerce within the law

Government regulates interstate commerce, thus government certainly has the legal right to step in and assist when utility companies go down because of a hurricane.

To the city? No.. To fix its portion of the port where interstate or international commerce is taking place? Yes...

Whether you wish to support the government working within the confines of its founding document (the document that specifically grants and limits the powers of the federal government), is up to you.. it should not be a GOP or DEM issue, it is an issue of adherence to the law... and you are either for that, or against that.. and if you are against it, you are more than welcome to help in any way to use the amendment process to amend the constitution to change it

It reaffirms why I will not be voting for any far right, Tea Party or GOP candidates this fall, as that mentality seems to be shared by more on that side.

And may I add, I pray your home city isn't hit by a natural disaster. I would GLADLY support my federal government violating the Constitution by sending you aid, even my tax dollar aid. How can a sane human NOT support that just because a 250 year old piece of paper didn't say so?

Oh....and I'm guessing you do not speed even 1mph over the limit right? You know, "rule of law" and all.

You wish for the government to have unlimited power, unrestrained by the constitution...

I stand for a constitution that specifically grants and limits the federal government, but also a constitution that has the ability to be amended thru the proper process

Not true. I'm a former cop, and the 4th Amendment is a MUST in our society to restrain armed law enforcement from tyranny on the people.

So I suspect you would amend it to allow giving aid to a disaster area?

Government regulates interstate commerce, thus government certainly has the legal right to step in and assist when utility companies go down because of a hurricane.

No.. that is assisting or enabling the company to do business... not whether the law, regulation, or freedom to participate in interstate commerce is in place and secured

Did anyone say the fed was supposed to help WalMart or any company? No.. It was stated to have the fed be responsible only for the things within the scope of its constitutionally charged power

Nice try though.. try to refrain from lying about what was said

People in Charleston wouldn't be able to shop online without power. In the name of Interstate Commerce, wouldnt the Feds need to restore power to the city?

Ehh.. wrong answer

Government does not prop up nor control whether a company is specifically able to do its business... It secures the laws of commerce, the security of commerce, and the freedom of commerce within the law

No. But neither is Delta or US Air. And the Feds put armed men on there to secure it in the name of interstate commerce, right? The Federal Govt doesn't own the SC State Port in Charleston, but the Feds provide policing for it through DHS.

You aren't being consistent.

dave, your definition and interp fails.

Of course the government can step in under FCC and general welfare.

All of your yelling does not change the historical narrative of those facts.

No.. that is assisting or enabling the company to do business... not whether the law, regulation, or freedom to participate in interstate commerce is in place and secured

Well, I was thinking the Feds would restore power more so for the sake of people not dying.

Does the Federal Government's building and maintenance of Interstate 95 "assist" or "enable" cab companies to function on them? Or for trucking companies to do business? Or tour bus companies? The Feds obviously "assist" them by providing huge interstate roads.

Or what about federal copyright and patent laws and their enforcement? Surely many companies have made huge profits off these laws being enforced? Thats an "assist", right?

Not true. I'm a former cop, and the 4th Amendment is a MUST in our society to restrain armed law enforcement from tyranny on the people.

So I suspect you would amend it to allow giving aid to a disaster area?

Amending the 4th amendment would make no sense for 'disaster relief'... if you wish to support the amendment of the constitution (adding a power via amendment) to charge the federal government to be responsible for aid in all 'disasters' that would be judged as such by the government, is up to you

Personally, as stated, I like that our federal government is specifically limited and fully accept that that is on the individual and/or the state/locality where the individual(s) reside... but hey, we can agree to disagree on that on a personal level.. and you are more than free to work toward that amendment.. and if it is put in law, I would not argue when it is enacted as it would be legal whether I agreed with the law or not.. though I would also then work to amend the constitution back to not having that power

Ehh.. wrong answer

No. But neither is Delta or US Air. And the Feds put armed men on there to secure it in the name of interstate commerce, right? The Federal Govt doesn't own the SC State Port in Charleston, but the Feds provide policing for it through DHS.

You aren't being consistent.

Are those people/marshals providing the commerce?? You expect them to fly in a plane next to the passenger plane?? Are they restoring service if the plane has a problem?

You are getting way off base on this

wow this is a confused mess. I agree with you that a government should not be run like a business but it should also not be treated as a vehicle for wealth distribution. The government should lower taxes and it should cut spending and it should get rid of people and cut salaries. The government is a parasite on the economy it takes money out of the economy and adds nothing of value. The prices that you list as going up are going up because of government meddling. Also you seem to be confusing local government services with federal services and they are completely different.

Really. Have you checked Kayak for one-way air faire to Somolia?

A catch-phrase I hear a lot is how government should be run "like a business". WHY????? I doubt many people would actually LIKE govt when it is "run like a business". Here is why:

When a business is struggling, they do a combination of things. Reducing pay for workers is one. Downsizing is another. The beloved private sector has surely shown us that, through emotionless layoffs and outsourcing. But hey, "its just business".

But they also do something else. Raise prices. As we've seen in gas, food, power, water, clothing...really anything we need, the price has gone up. But again, hey, its just business.

So if a government was run like a business, what would it look like? Well, a few thing:

1) Less government workers and programs. Downsizing and outsourcing (by saying let the private sector do it). If we look at supply/demand models that the biz world does, "demand" for government has skyrocketed in our society. People call 911 for damn near ANYTHING these days. Any problem at all, people of all parties say "Someone needs to DO SOMETHING!!". That someone, to most, means the government. THey demand the president, governor, sheriff, mayor, chief, or someone to do something. Keep us safe. Keep us healthy, fix the traffic problems, pave the roads, keep the illegals and terrorists out, keep the air and water clean, etc, etc, etc.

But do they wanna pay for it? REMEMBER: Supply and demand. If they aren't willing to pay for it....be ready to consume far less government, and STOP asking the govt to do as much. A realistic analysis by a fair minded person will inevitably acknowledge our society does have a high demand for government in practical terms if not ideological.

2) "Raise prices". The government...er, business....provides a serivce. Which as I've stated above, is a service that is in high demand right now in society. Well, the government's "price" is the tax rate. If the govt is in debt, they must "run it like a business" by downsizing, outsourcing, and raising prices. Sure, some say lower prices/taxes will bring in more customers and revenue. And that is often true. BUT if so, why have prices for food, water, power, gas, clothing spiked lately???

Seems if raising prices works for the private businesses who produce food, water, power, clothes, gas..................why would a government NOT run it like a business and raise their prices (taxes/fees) also?

So, can someone explain to me why, if the government is run like a business, would they not also raise their prices exactly the same way that JIF Peanut Butter, Exxon Oil, the local water and power companies, Cheerios cereal, Regal Cinemas, and any scores of numbers of other private sector companies have done??????????

(**To head it off early, I know the response of "But we can choose to buy a product, we dont choose to pay taxes" is coming. Answer: You choose which city to pay taxes in. And really....do any of us realistically have a choice but to buy power, water, food and gas? No, we dont. Those are staples of survival. That argument is voided.)

So....are we really ready for government to be run like a business? If you were a victim of a horrible crime, and the local police couldn't solve it because they cut costs and lost all their experienced detectives.......would you accept the neighboring city's PD saying "Sorry, we cant loan you one of our experienced detectives, you dont pay taxes here, our taxpayers dont pay to help you. Sorry, but it's just business."

Food for thought.

No offense, but this is one of the dumbest posts i've seen in a while. At least one that contains articulated thoughts. I don't have all day so i'll make this short and sweet.

Your focus of this entire thought is that "people's appetite for government has grown." That's the problem right there. All you're really saying in this comment is that "more people want shit for nothing." Why is government's job to say "Ok! What can i do for you?!" Governments job is only the protect the rights of it's constituents as defined by the Constitution.

In order to fulfill the job, the government basically has a collection of businesses. Personal protection, transportation, education, mail delivery, etc. Break one out and look at it on it's own. Education is easy since there's plenty of private schools. If i was going to start my own school and look to make money on it, i need to provide quality education services (in order to get customers) and i need to charge enough to make up for the cost of the facility, supplies and employees (teachers). If i don't, my school goes under and no longer functions and i lose a lot of money. I've got a very good incentive to provide a very good service at a reasonable price.

Government shouldn't be attempting to do anything different. Their "price" is taxes and their customers are everyone. That's the only difference. They should still be looking to provide a high quality service at a reasonable cost. Decisions should be made accordingly to ensure that service quality is good and price for providing that is as reasonable as possible.

The reason government sucks at doing just about everything they do is because no one's ass is on the line if it fails. No one is personally putting their money on the line to make it work. Therefore, there's no incentive to really get the best teachers possible. There's no incentive to be as reactive to their customers as possible. And perhaps most importantly, there's no incentive to be as fiscally responsible as possible in the providing that service. If the people running the government actually gave a shit whether it worked well or not then we wouldn't really have many problems at all. Considering that those who run businesses give a shit if it works well, yes, government needs to be ran like a business.

Last edited:
Ernie, you guys are headed for defeat this fall. Neither Obama nor Romney believe in libertarianism and Ryan will be exactly where Romney wants him: under his boot heel.

Romney will tell the far right in Congress what he wants. If the TPM does not come through, MR will deal with the dems.

Either way, you lose.

:lmao:

I know I know you will prove at sometime in the future..............:cuckoo:

It's a joke, as is nearly every post from JokeStarkey

What ever you say, Joke.

So, in the original 13 states, under President George Washington, if one state suffered a horrific drought and famine........and needed the Federal help with food (like shipping food on US ships to them) would Washington had said "No, let them starve."

No, he wouldn't. He would've tried to send federal help if possible. Would he have violated the Constitution? Would he have been helping "The Union" or "The People" in that case?

that is an individual need and not the responsibility of the federal government...

And you have zero basis in your assumption

And not as far back as Washington, but here is an interesting read for you

Davy Crocket and Farmer Bunce: "Not yours to give"

Ok. Thats fair enough.

I'm just trying to get a clear view of what the Tea Party truly believes.

So....in 1989, Hurricane Hugo hit my home city of Charleston. It was a Cat-5, devastated the city. People were homeless, hot, hungry....water was polluted. Crime was crazy.

The Tea Party response would be that Charlestonians were suffering from an "individual need", and that the US Government is forbidden by the Constitution from sending aid?

It's an important election, and important to clearly state each groups beliefs.
The TEA Party response would have been for individuals to donate food water medicine, whatever was needed, load it into a privately owned truck, fueled with private diesel fuel and driven by a volunteer driver and deliver it to a central location where state and local governments could distribute it where needed.

that is an individual need and not the responsibility of the federal government...

And you have zero basis in your assumption

And not as far back as Washington, but here is an interesting read for you

Davy Crocket and Farmer Bunce: "Not yours to give"

Ok. Thats fair enough.

So....in 1989, Hurricane Hugo hit my home city of Charleston. It was a Cat-5, devastated the city. People were homeless, hot, hungry....water was polluted. Crime was crazy.

The Tea Party response would be that Charlestonians were suffering from an "individual need", and that the US Government is forbidden by the Constitution from sending aid?

The TEA Party response would have been for individuals to donate food water medicine, whatever was needed, load it into a privately owned truck, fueled with private diesel fuel and driven by a volunteer driver and deliver it to a central location where state and local governments could distribute it where needed.

So, asshole, where were you guys then?:confused:

Ok. Thats fair enough.

So, asshole, where were you guys then?:confused:

Are you saying there were not charity efforts?? There were not people who took it upon themselves to volunteer to go and help people??

Per usual, you're absolutely wrong

Forum List

Back