Governor of Louisiana Declares State of Emergency as State’s Coastline Disappears

The sky is falling!
No, I'm pretty sure he is saying the coastline ground is falling.

That's fairly synonymous with erosion, no? Metinks it may be.
Ah, the cause evades your thought processes. OK.

I see it the other way around. Do you live on the gulf coast?

I do. :)

Than you know as I do that Katrina fucked the outer islands which of course causes more erosion to the coast.
They ain't called barrier islands for nothing.

I may lose sleep over this if I can schedule a time to worry about it. Really hate to give up any sleep over it so I will judge it by importance. You know what? I could give adamn less now where is the remote?

And yet --- you deliberately took the time to burn a post on an issue of which you're entirely ignorant, because your troll quotient is 214.

I got yer remote right here pal.

I see it the other way around. Do you live on the gulf coast?

I do. :)

Than you know as I do that Katrina fucked the outer islands which of course causes more erosion to the coast.
They ain't called barrier islands for nothing.

The barrier islands have been under siege for too long. Largely from oil work as well as Nature.

There is no such thing as climate change that's any different from the changing climate over the millenia. This is coastal erosion no different from any other natural coastal erosion.
No, earlier governors of LA asked for deeper and straighter access to the Gulf and got it. That is eroding the coast faster than natural erosion ever could. They also engineered a below sea level largest city in the state. These Guys always double down on dumb.

"They" did huh.

New Orleans has been there for three hundred years.

So do tell, oh Fakey Jakey, what in no uncertain terms is the cause?
Erosion? Because of rising water? Could it be because of climate change?

Could it be because of rising tides and pisspoor civic planning, moron?

:eusa_doh: Of course! Civic planning! All they had to do was not-plan on losing shoreline. Just write it up.
Yer a genus.

There is no such thing as climate change that's any different from the changing climate over the millenia. This is coastal erosion no different from any other natural coastal erosion.
No, earlier governors of LA asked for deeper and straighter access to the Gulf and got it. That is eroding the coast faster than natural erosion ever could. They also engineered a below sea level largest city in the state. These Guys always double down on dumb.

"They" did huh.

That may be, but it doesn't take a genius to realize it's a bad idea to build in a flood zone.

Even Miami is at least AT sea level. Towns where my family is from are older than 300 years. ;)

"They" did huh.

That may be, but it doesn't take a genius to realize it's a bad idea to build in a flood zone.

New Orleans was originally built on the only high ground in the area.
Apparently our ancestors were smarter than our current stock of morons.

"They" did huh.

Even Miami is at least AT sea level. Towns where my family is from are older than 300 years. ;)

I was wrong, my family was there, but the towns weren't.

The sky is falling!

Not Jake, but here is the scientific analysis of one of the factors.

Sea level rise shown to drive coastal erosion
Authors
  • Keqi Zhang,
  • Bruce C. Douglas

Abstract
Our research has shown that an important relationship exists between sea level rise and sandy beach erosion. The link is highly multiplicative, with the long-term shoreline retreat rate averaging about 150 times that of sea level rise. For example, a sustained rise of 10 cm in sea level could result in 15 m of shoreline erosion. Such an amount is more than an order of magnitude greater than would be expected from a simple response to sea level rise through inundation of the shoreline.

Sea level is certainly only one of many factors causing long-term beach change. Shoreline revisions from inlet dynamics and coastal engineering projects are more pronounced in most areas of the US. east coast and tend to mask the effect of a rise in sea level even over extended intervals. The implication is that sea level rise is a secondary but inexorable cause of beach erosion in such areas.

The sky is falling!

Authors
  • Keqi Zhang,
  • Bruce C. Douglas

Abstract
Our research has shown that an important relationship exists between sea level rise and sandy beach erosion. The link is highly multiplicative, with the long-term shoreline retreat rate averaging about 150 times that of sea level rise. For example, a sustained rise of 10 cm in sea level could result in 15 m of shoreline erosion. Such an amount is more than an order of magnitude greater than would be expected from a simple response to sea level rise through inundation of the shoreline.

Sea level is certainly only one of many factors causing long-term beach change. Shoreline revisions from inlet dynamics and coastal engineering projects are more pronounced in most areas of the US. east coast and tend to mask the effect of a rise in sea level even over extended intervals. The implication is that sea level rise is a secondary but inexorable cause of beach erosion in such areas.

Do you live on the Gulf Coast and interact with it on a regular basis?
Me? I've spent forty years running the estuaries,bays,rivers,islands,beaches as well as 100 miles offshore.
Nothing has changed that wasn't due to hurricanes.

Authors
  • Keqi Zhang,
  • Bruce C. Douglas

Abstract

Me? I've spent forty years running the estuaries,bays,rivers,islands,beaches as well as 100 miles offshore.

If you mean putting on old shoes and stomping down Mangrove pencils so I can go snag some reds and yellows, sure!

The lost shoreline in St. Petersburg gets replenished every year with sand from Pensacola. :)

Authors
  • Keqi Zhang,
  • Bruce C. Douglas

Abstract

If you mean putting on old shoes and stomping down Mangrove pencils so I can go snag some reds and yellows, sure!

Very few mangroves in my neck of the woods although there are a few.
One of my favorite Gulf activities is flounder gigging.
Back in the early nineties we'd go out and gig a dozen twenty inch plus flounder a piece in three hours.
Of course the best time to gig em was in the dead of winter when they came through the passes....thirty friggin degrees and 25 mph winds were the norm of course but it was worth it!!!

We definitely have "climate change"...no doubt about that.... but it's not happening because of the reasons we are being told. It's not happening because people drive back and forth to work in order to eek out an existence on this shitty prison planet.

Unless you have read the "Iron Mountain Report" and what the formation of the "Club Of Rome" in 1969 was all about and their push for "sustainable development" or the Rio Conference in 1992 and Agenda 21? You will not understand what it is I am talking about.

We definitely have "climate change"...no doubt about that.... but it's not happening because of the reasons we are being told. It's not happening because people drive back and forth to work in order to eek out an existence on this shitty prison planet.

Unless you have read the "Iron Mountain Report" and what the formation of the "Club Of Rome" in 1969 was all about and their push for "sustainable development" or the Rio Conference in 1992 and Agenda 21? You will not understand what it is I am talking about.
The biggest lie is the planet is in danger! The planet is fine. The people are fucked!

Forum List

Back