Government will force electric cars to make noise!!

skookerasbil

Platinum Member
Aug 6, 2009
Not the middle of nowhere
Electric cars are eerily quiet — and US regulators are worried this could make them dangerous

OMG....damn near pissed my shorts when I saw this story!!

As it is, car companies can't sell these st00pid cars....now they are going to install speakers that will sound like a flock of geese taking off so pedestrians can hear them coming!! That should really ramp up sales #'s!!!:hello77:

@www.whosnotwinning.com

:th_smileysw2wqa:
I vote for the Jetsons car sound.

LMAO

How about THIS >>>

Electric cars are eerily quiet — and US regulators are worried this could make them dangerous

As it is, car companies can't sell these st00pid cars....now they are going to install speakers that will sound like a flock of geese taking off so pedestrians can hear them coming!! That should really ramp up sales #'s!!!:hello77:

@www.whosnotwinning.com

So, if you are a blind person trying to cross a street, you're all for electric cars being dead silent so that the person has no idea a car is coming his way?

@www.whosnotwinning.com

So, if you are a blind person trying to cross a street, you're all for electric cars being dead silent so that the person has no idea a car is coming his way?
How blind is the driver of the car?

@www.whosnotwinning.com

LMAO

How about THIS >>>

I still love that show.

Driver gets sound option via buttons.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

I vote for one long farting sound.
:iagree:

:iyfyus.jpg:

@www.whosnotwinning.com

A sensible solution is for the cars to have a common sound, one all manufactures use, and when the software 'sees' a person or crosswalk ahead, it creates that sound as a warning. Easily done with the present level of computing in these vehicles.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

Hey, I still ride a bicycle for exercise, and sometimes those things will sneak up on me and scare the crap out of me. Normally? I can hear the cars coming up behind me, but electrics can sometimes surprise me when they pass.

Yes, I think making them make some kind of sound when they go by is a good one.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

A sensible solution is for the cars to have a common sound, one all manufactures use, and when the software 'sees' a person or crosswalk ahead, it creates that sound as a warning. Easily done with the present level of computing in these vehicles.
Like the automated passenger train that didn’t slow down for the curve in Seattle and killed those people?

Fisker was planning on this back in 2009,,,,, nothing new
According to Henrik Fisker, head of the company, by fake engine sounds it means real, gruff, user-selectable engine sounds. One will apparently sound ''like something between a Formula One car and a jet plane," which should certainly be enough to keep unwary pedestrians leaping for the sidewalk as you roar toward them.
Let's hope there's a silent option and that not many morons buy it

https://gizmodo.com/367944/fisker-karma-electric-car-to-blast-out-fake-engine-sounds-verdict-why

Makes you wonder how many golfers are killed each year by those silent electric golf carts?

Last edited:

@www.whosnotwinning.com

Like the automated passenger train that didn’t slow down for the curve in Seattle and killed those people?

You really need to get more real news dude. The train wasn't automated, it was a new high speed rail line that had just opened up and it did NOT have the automatic speed control system installed on it yet. And, it was the fault of the engineer and the conductor for failing to read the signs on the track and slow down.

Several dead after Amtrak train traveling at 80 mph derails from bridge onto I-5

The train was next heading into a curve with a posted 30 mph limit just southwest of the Eagles Pride Golf Course between Lakewood and Olympia near the Nisqually River delta. Moments before the wreck, speeds were gauged at about 81 mph, according to transitdocs.com, a website that maps Amtrak train locations and speeds using data from the railroad’s train tracker app.

The maximum allowed speed along the newly rebuilt stretch of track is 79 mph, according to Sound Transit, the regional transit authority that owns and maintains the line. But the route also includes “a number of areas where the speeds are limited below that maximum,” according to a statement issued by Sound Transit on Monday afternoon.

Speed signs are posted and engineers are trained to slow according to the posted speeds, the transit agency added.

In the stretch of track where the train derailed, an engineer faces the challenge of decelerating over a short distance, when approaching the curve and bypass, said John Hiatt, a longtime private investigator in train-safety disputes.

“A downward grade coming into that curve, you’ve got that working against you. You’ve got to make a pretty good estimate of how to get that down from 81 to 30,” Hiatt said of the track, located near Mounts Road outside of DuPont. “From what I’ve heard, there were several complaints by engineers about this.”

Bob Chipkevich, a former National Transportation Safety Board director of railroad, pipeline and hazardous-materials investigations, said the wreck appeared to be a high-speed derailment based on the television images he’d seen of the accident Monday.

“Like an automobile, the faster you are going the more violent it can be when you leave the track; cars are strewn farther from the track and more cars are derailed,” said Chipkevich.

Karnes added Monday that he did not feel the train slow down before reaching the curve, though he wasn’t paying close attention.

Amtrak officials said Monday the automatic speed-limiting technology known as “positive train control” wasn’t in operation at the time of Train 501’s derailment.

The retrofit of the newly opened line included safety systems that can prevent excessively dangerous speeds; the 14.5-mile corridor is now equipped for positive train control, but the train controls aren’t yet operating in that area, said Amtrak CEO Richard Anderson, and an Amtrak spokesman said the equipment was still being tested.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

In that case, the automated systems had not been tested. Someone got in a hurry, and the engineer was criminally negligent in not keeping his eyes on what was happening on that train's first run.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

In that case, the automated systems had not been tested. Someone got in a hurry, and the engineer was criminally negligent in not keeping his eyes on what was happening on that train's first run.

One thing that I didn't know about was the terrain that the train was traveling in. Seems that in the section where the engineer was supposed to start slowing down was also on a slight downhill grade, which means that stopping the train is going to be a bit harder than if it was on level ground. All that weight, pushing slightly downhill has to be hard on the brakes.

And, it doesn't help much that the engineer wasn't paying attention. That is why we need that automated system put on all trains.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

How blind is the driver of the car?

Dunno. As blind as every other driver who runs stops signs, red lights, broadsides cars and pedestrians texting to USMB? :D

@www.whosnotwinning.com

Hey, I still ride a bicycle for exercise, and sometimes those things will sneak up on me and scare the crap out of me. Normally? I can hear the cars coming up behind me, but electrics can sometimes surprise me when they pass.

Personally, I like the idea of making them sound like a '69 GTO with a 400 6-pack and 3/4 cam in it! You know, just like the gas guzzer it was meant to replace. You gotta have a sense of humor in this world. :cool:

Second option, the sound of baseball cards in bike spokes.

Last edited:

@www.whosnotwinning.com

Personally, I like the idea of making them sound like a '69 GTO with a 400 6-pack and 3/4 cam in it! You know, just like the gas guzzer it was meant to replace. You gotta have a sense of humor in this world.

Second option, the sound of baseball cards in bike spokes.

I like both those options.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

That’s why we have signal lights.

@www.whosnotwinning.com

That’s why we have signal lights.

Guess you missed the part about the person being blind. And, not all cross walk signs are equipped with the beeping mechanism that helps the blind.

According to Henrik Fisker, head of the company, by fake engine sounds it means real, gruff, user-selectable engine sounds. One will apparently sound ''like something between a Formula One car and a jet plane,"

Not quite the same ...

61Kqt%2BeMsyL._SY355_.jpg

Forum List

Back