Government Fail! Ban on new fast food results in a 12% RISE in obesity in South Los Angeles

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
This is too funny! The stupid city council trying to curb weight gain by residents instead of fixing freaking pot holes has been an epic fail.

Governments at all levels should take note but they won't because some left wing looney tune elected official like a Bloomberg always thinks that they can run your life better than you can.

Here's the results of their "we know what's best for you" law. When I saw this headline coffee shot out my nose.

:lmao:

Ban on new fast food results in a 12% RISE in obesity in South Los Angeles
  • Before the dietary ordinance went into effect in 2008, 63per cent of South Los Angeles reported being overweight or obese

• Three years on, the number rose to 75per cent
  • In other parts of the country obesity rates only increased by one per cent

• Health experts say a single intervention will not reverse obesity issues

Obesity rates in South Los Angeles grew by 12 per cent over three years despite a much-hailed ban on new fast food restaurants, research had found.

Before the dietary ordinance went into effect in 2008, 63 per cent of residents in the area reported being overweight or obese compared to 57 per cent in other parts of the county.

But three years on, instead of the law curbing weight gain, the opposite trend took force.

In 2011 75 percent of South Los Angeles residents reported being overweight or obese, while rates elsewhere only increased by one per cent.

Ban on new fast food results in a 12 RISE in obesity in South Los Angeles Daily Mail Online

Bans only make people want things more.:)

I can go without eating for over a day and a night pretty easily. But when I'm fasting it's much harder. :)

From the OP link:

Obesity rates in South Los Angeles grew by 12 per cent over three years despite a much-hailed ban on new fast food restaurants, research had found.

Before the dietary ordinance went into effect in 2008, 63 per cent of residents in the area reported being overweight or obese compared to 57 per cent in other parts of the county.

But three years on, instead of the law curbing weight gain, the opposite trend took force.

In 2011 75 percent of South Los Angeles residents reported being overweight or obese, while rates elsewhere only increased by one per cent....

...The research by the Rand Corp. think tank found that obesity rates in South Los Angeles continued to rise after passage of the law.

You do realize that this is a survey study, right, that Rand did not interview every single resident of South LA, right?

So, without seeing stats on the exact data from the survey, including internals, there is no way hell to know if this data is reliable or not.

I am aware that the Daily Mall loves to put out sensationalism and makes it's money from such, and I can imagine that there are obese people all over the place, but I have yet to see a place on earth where three-quarters of the residents are OBESE.

Even in the state of Mississippi, the state in the Union with the highest rate of morbid obesity (34%), all obesity in that state combined is nowhere close to 75%.

If you point me to the complete Rand data, I will comb through it, but an article "claiming" Rand data means nothing. Why did the Daily Mall, which loves to link to practically everything, NOT link to this data?

BTW, are you aware of how most of the Rand surveys are performed?

Hint: they are very different than other standard surveys.

From the OP link:

In 2011 75 percent of South Los Angeles residents reported being overweight or obese, while rates elsewhere only increased by one per cent....

...The research by the Rand Corp. think tank found that obesity rates in South Los Angeles continued to rise after passage of the law.

You do realize that this is a survey study, right, that Rand did not interview every single resident of South LA, right?

So, without seeing stats on the exact data from the survey, including internals, there is no way hell to know if this data is reliable or not.

I am aware that the Daily Mall loves to put out sensationalism and makes it's money from such, and I can imagine that there are obese people all over the place, but I have yet to see a place on earth where three-quarters of the residents are OBESE.

Even in the state of Mississippi, the state in the Union with the highest rate of morbid obesity (34%), all obesity in that state combined is nowhere close to 75%.

If you point me to the complete Rand data, I will comb through it, but an article "claiming" Rand data means nothing. Why did the Daily Mall, which loves to link to practically everything, NOT link to this data?

Are you trying to say RAND's people and their methods are pieces of shit?

This is your lofty opinion? As compared to the National Institutes of Health that funded this study?

You know. That agency of the US Department of Health?

This is your lofty opinion? As compared to the National Institutes of Health that funded this study?

Why don't you show the Rand Corp's study instead of a tabloid newspaper report?

The policy is a zoning regulation that restricts the opening or expansion of any “stand-alone fast-food restaurant” in Baldwin Hills, Leimert Park, and portions of South Los Angeles and Southeast Los Angeles.

Researchers found that about 10 percent of food outlets in Los Angeles are new since the regulation was approved, but there was no evidence that the composition of those establishments has changed as a result of the ordinance.

No Evidence That Los Angeles Fast-Food Curbs Have Improved Diets or Cut Obesity RAND

Because I took my dog for a fucking walk asshole. She needed to take a quick squirt.

I'm not glued to the computer 24/7. Anyone who wants to google RAND can do so.

I'm not obligated to do jack shit.

From the OP link:

And consequently the only fail is this thread.

I've read the abstract. The Rand Corporation did not actually measure people's BMI. They just asked people to self-report.

"How much do you weigh?"

"How tall are you?"

This was not a study as much as it was a survey.

Nevertheless, it is not surprising that a "fast food ban" which hasn't actually shut down any fast food joints would not result in a decrease in obesity in the immediate following years.

It is kind of like an "assault weapon ban" which grandfathers existing assault weapons.

Here's what I found interesting. No matter which way you shake it out the councils decision to interfere with zoning permits based on nutrition was an epic fail.

My message to council. Fix the fucking pot holes assholes and stay the hell out of people's choices in food.

"Sturm and co-author Aiko Hattori of the University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, examined the fast-food ban by analyzing information from two sources.

They tracked the opening of new food outlets across the city by reviewing permits issued by the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, which licenses and inspects all food outlets.

Information about neighborhood eating habits and weight came from three different waves of the California Health Interview Survey, which polls residents across the state about an array of health issues.

Participants from South Los Angeles and other neighborhoods targeted by the ordinance were compared to residents from other parts of Los Angeles.

Examining weight trends across the city, researchers found that both obesity and being overweight increased in all areas from 2007 to 2012, with the increase being significantly greater in areas covered by the fast-food ordinance.

In addition, fast-food consumption increased in all areas since the ban was passed, but was statistically similar across all areas.

Before the ban was passed as well as three years later, the average body mass index (a ratio of weight to height) and the proportion of people who were obese or overweight were higher in South Los Angeles than in other areas of the city. That gap continued to widen from 2008 to 2012. "

No Evidence That Los Angeles Fast-Food Curbs Have Improved Diets or Cut Obesity RAND

Because I took my dog for a fucking walk asshole. She needed to take a quick squirt.

Then don't post moronic "gotcha" threads.

We are a nation of fat fucks. No doubt about it.

But instead of trying to implement bans, the government should be looking at undoing its existing policies which contributed to an increase in obesity.

We need LESS government, not more.

From the OP link:

Well the National Institute of Health funded this and believe in the study enough to publish the findings.

Why don't you just email them and give them a good talking to and tell them they failed?

If you don't like my thread get the fuck out of it.

Then don't post moronic "gotcha" threads.

Get the fuck out of the thread then asshole. It's real easy. Go post in another.

The ban was supposed to do two things. One force people to eat healthy by limiting their food choices. The second was force food service outlets to open restaurants that only serve government approved healthy food. Neither one ever happened. Deprived of a new nearby fast food place the convenience store was handy for chips, candy and beer. The healthy restaurants never opened.

From the OP link:

ANy evidence the ordinance reduced obesity? Nope. Ergo the law was a fail. Like most left wing policies.

Forum List

Back