• Santorum - Former PA Senator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson - Former NM Governor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
The first 2012 GOP debate: Winners and losers - The Week

WINNERS

Tim Pawlenty
"Some questioned why Pawlenty showed up with the 'B' team," says Jennifer Rubin in The Washington Post. But the former governor "did what he came to do: Demonstrate a level of preparedness and rhetorical prowess that many voters had not previously witnessed."

Herman Cain
"Even compared to T-Paw, Cain was a picture of self-confidence without being smarmy,"

Mitt Romney
The biggest winner of the night wasn't even there, says Ben Smith at Politico. Romney's presence was felt all night, and even as a no-show, he scored at least a draw with Pawlenty.

LOSERS

Tim Pawlenty
Even though Pawlenty was the only participant who's considered top-tier, says Linda Feldmann at The Christian Science Monitor, he still polls in single digits. And when he had the chance to knock down his top rival by highlighting similarities between Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care reform plan and Obama's, Pawlenty politely demurred because Romney wasn't there to respond.

The Republican Party
The debate was "an awkward moment for the Republican Party," says Dan Balz in The Washington Post. It "came at a moment when Obama's approval ratings are spiking" in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death. With the heavy-hitters absent, it was up to third-stringers to go after Obama, and they had trouble poking holes in his foreign policy given the timing. Indeed, the evening was "so bereft of consequence," says John Nichols at The Nation, that even House Speaker John Boehner, spotted at a Washington steakhouse while the debate was going on, said he would just "read about it tomorrow."

Gary Johnson
The former New Mexico governor "was the candidate who was most out of his league,"

Last edited:
I never knew how much my beliefs line up with Ron Paul.

I'd support a Paul / Cain ticket. Yep I just said that.

WOOT WOOT

Thats 2 of us :D

Either combo of those two would be a good fit for our Nation I agree I was very impressed with Cain and his performance I don't mind Paul though to be honest I'm not all that sure about him.

Paul is not a president IMO, but as vice president he would rock.

Imagine a president having to deal with ron paul

"there is this conflict in this part of the world" Not our problem
"what do we do about XXX government program" Eliminate it
"Inflation is out of control" End the fed
"I want to spend money on" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, its a state's issue

He would be up the butt of anyone trying to do anything on the federal level :)

WINNERS

Tim Pawlenty
"Some questioned why Pawlenty showed up with the 'B' team," says Jennifer Rubin in The Washington Post. But the former governor "did what he came to do: Demonstrate a level of preparedness and rhetorical prowess that many voters had not previously witnessed."

Herman Cain
"Even compared to T-Paw, Cain was a picture of self-confidence without being smarmy,"

Mitt Romney
The biggest winner of the night wasn't even there, says Ben Smith at Politico. Romney's presence was felt all night, and even as a no-show, he scored at least a draw with Pawlenty.

LOSERS

Tim Pawlenty
Even though Pawlenty was the only participant who's considered top-tier, says Linda Feldmann at The Christian Science Monitor, he still polls in single digits. And when he had the chance to knock down his top rival by highlighting similarities between Mitt Romney's Massachusetts health care reform plan and Obama's, Pawlenty politely demurred because Romney wasn't there to respond.

The Republican Party
The debate was "an awkward moment for the Republican Party," says Dan Balz in The Washington Post. It "came at a moment when Obama's approval ratings are spiking" in the wake of Osama bin Laden's death. With the heavy-hitters absent, it was up to third-stringers to go after Obama, and they had trouble poking holes in his foreign policy given the timing. Indeed, the evening was "so bereft of consequence," says John Nichols at The Nation, that even House Speaker John Boehner, spotted at a Washington steakhouse while the debate was going on, said he would just "read about it tomorrow."

Gary Johnson
The former New Mexico governor "was the candidate who was most out of his league,"

Watching Pawlenty and Santorum last night made me not want either one to run.

WOOT WOOT

Thats 2 of us :D

Either combo of those two would be a good fit for our Nation I agree I was very impressed with Cain and his performance I don't mind Paul though to be honest I'm not all that sure about him.

Paul is not a president IMO, but as vice president he would rock.

Imagine a president having to deal with ron paul

"there is this conflict in this part of the world" Not our problem
"what do we do about XXX government program" Eliminate it
"Inflation is out of control" End the fed
"I want to spend money on" NO NO NO NO NO NO NO, its a state's issue

He would be up the butt of anyone trying to do anything on the federal level :)

He would be up the butt of anyone trying to do anything on the federal level
Wouldn't that be refreshing! far cry from what we see today

WINNERS

Tim Pawlenty

Herman Cain

Mitt Romney

LOSERS

Tim Pawlenty

The Republican Party

Gary Johnson

Watching Pawlenty and Santorum last night made me not want either one to run.

I think I'll stick to my own opinion about who won the Debate .....really don't feel the need to be told who did. I agree with you Paw and Santorum didn't do all that well IMO... We have a long time to go before the the next election.

I don't know who wins... I would venture to guess whoever plays to the Tea Party the most... in other words, use rhetoric that implies Obama is a closet Communist and wants to destroy the country, says that Social programs are the bane of society and ought to be abolished, and talks big against Muslims, gays, abortion and panders to the gun huggers.

That would be my guess... the one that comes off as the most extreme.

I would venture that Ron Paul "plays to the Tea Party" the most and no--he does not suggest that Obama is a closet communist and he does not talk about abolishing any entitlement programs.

Listen to the man, and you may find out why he is the lefts favorite choice--not because he will lose, but because if he wins, the social programs are only in danger of being cut--not eliminated!!

So I guess your point is that if you own a baseball team that is not doing well, your best option is to replace all the players with people who have never played the game before

Fail, lol.

Why fail? Executive experience....how much does Cain have?

I guess if we need someone to run a pizza chain....he's your man

Has he ever been actually elected to anything?
Obama was elected, and was nothing more than a junior Senator, who never ran a damn thing in his life, and look at what a disaster he has been.

This thread actually highlights something for me. The working relationship of the Prez and Vice needs an overhaul. I'd like to see a more tag-team approach to issues. Bust the VP role out a bit and make him more of an enforcer and player.

I could see Cain as the big picture guy and Ron Paul barking at the people to step in line.

dont get me wrong...Cain's policy on immigration is too hardline for me (he supports the AZ law for pulling over suspected aliens. I'm pretty hardline on that issue, but not that hardline)...but I see Paul and Cain tag-teaming for the betterment of the country.

This thread actually highlights something for me. The working relationship of the Prez and Vice needs an overhaul. I'd like to see a more tag-team approach to issues. Bust the VP role out a bit and make him more of an enforcer and player.

I could see Cain as the big picture guy and Ron Paul barking at the people to step in line.

dont get me wrong...Cain's policy on immigration is too hardline for me (he supports the AZ law for pulling over suspected aliens. I'm pretty hardline on that issue, but not that hardline)...but I see Paul and Cain tag-teaming for the betterment of the country.
I see Paul as Joe Biden lite..........Constantly running his mouth, and embarrassing the shit out of this great country.......He needs to just give it up......He doesn't have a chance in hell.....And all he is doing is wasting his supporters time and money.

Christ, the man seems to think this is the wild wild west........Head to the Saloon, and grab yourself a hooker!

Can someone answer me this: Why do I keep repeatedly reading that Tim Pawlenty was the only "real" or "serious" candidate in this debate, or the only A-lister in this debate, when he polls about 2-3% in every single Republican poll? I mean, it's especially bizarre, with Paul polling 5-10%, but I suppose the media would rather pretend he doesn't exist.

Can someone answer me this: Why do I keep repeatedly reading that Tim Pawlenty was the only "real" or "serious" candidate in this debate, or the only A-lister in this debate, when he polls about 2-3% in every single Republican poll? I mean, it's especially bizarre, with Paul polling 5-10%, but I suppose the media would rather pretend he doesn't exist.
Remember what happened in 2008 when we let the media tell us who to vote for? We got stuck with McCain. I tell everyone that I support Ron Paul this time around and why. I liked what Cain said last night to and I'm gonna' stick with it. Will I vote for whomever is the candidate? We'll see.

Obama light for 2012 isn't a solution.

I am a completely unabashed Ron Paul supporter, so I’m rather biased; after watching the South Carolina GOP debate this evening I whole-heartedly believe Ron Paul won the debate. I truly believe that any of the GOP candidates that attended the debate can beat Obama, and that gives me great optimism for the future.

I am going to go on record as saying that Ron Paul is my generation’s- my being babies from The Eighties- Ronald Reagan. Our country is in a dismal financial crisis; we are in a crisis. The price of gas is increasing, the price of food is increasing, the price of everything is increasing, NO!!!! The value of your dollar is DECREASING!!! The Republicans try and exploit the deficit as a political tool, but they allow the spending of trillions on unnecessary military endeavors around the world.

Ron Paul was the only Republican to vote against the Iraqi War. Ron Paul is the only person running who has THIRTY YEARS of political votes supporting one thing: THAT HE MEANS WHAT HE SAYS!!! I have no doubt that if Ron Paul was elected he would do EVERYTHING HE SAYS.

I have spoken to so many Obama supporters that, after having irrefutable video evidence of broken promises shown to them, say ‘Oh, he is just a politician, they all lie, he’s no different than all of them’. Ron Paul has a message that resonates with a lot of people because his message is of freedom and liberty.

All of the flaws and imperfections of this country, it has perfection- yes G*DDAMN perfection in its’ ideals. It is its’ ideals that has allowed all of this prosperity and affluence to occur. The modern age owes a lot to American civilization, we owe a lot. The ideals and principles that allowed all this to occur are under attack, and we desperately need a leader to fight back. Ron Paul is that leader.

But I want to know what you think. I’m born n raised in Atlanta- home of Herman Cain- and I think he could sweep the floor with Obama. I am optimistic about 2012.

You honestly think one of those clowns will beat Obama? Particularly Ron Paul who is a fucking libertarian, will beat him? Are you serious or are you just joshing here.

If you are kidding, good one! :clap2: Ron Paul for president......lololololol

Remember what happened in 2008 when we let the media tell us who to vote for? We got stuck with McCain. I tell everyone that I support Ron Paul this time around and why. I liked what Cain said last night to and I'm gonna' stick with it. Will I vote for whomever is the candidate? We'll see.

Obama light for 2012 isn't a solution.

I guarantee you Obama will win. Especially if this is all your side has but you go ahead and vote for the next donald since you said you would vote for whoever wins that side.

Trump
Bachmann
Palin

etc.

What jokes your side have. A libertarian, a coool with the kids TPaw, a pizza guy...oh dear god Obama will win so big in 2012.

Hands down...Herman Cain...

There is no way in hell you are going to get certain people to vote for him in the republican party. No way no how.

I can imagine trying to get votes for him in W. Virginia.....lolololololol

Mississippi? Kentucky? Florida?

Oh please. But hey, run him. It would be funny to watch.

Forum List

Back