GOP Debate Tonight, who wins?

Who wins GOP Debate Tonight

• Santorum - Former PA Senator

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Johnson - Former NM Governor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I don't know if Cain will be the best candidate but I liked what he had to say.

I also liked Pawlenty.

To bad they all couldn't make it and it was nice to get a feel for those that did.

Its a long way till 2012 though and anything can happen. I'm still hoping that Mitch Daniels will throw his hat into the ring.

I've been pushing cain for 3 months or so now, lol. Don't mind the libertarian in the thread.

My ideal ticket would be Cain/Paul.

Im not saying thats the winning ticket vs obama, just saying I would be very happy with those 2 guys in the white house.

I get the feeling the left is scared... So far Palin/Mitt and McCain have not joined up and they all loved the idea of them up against Obama... As of now it could be anyone.

this nebulous "left" of yours "loved" the idea of palin/mitt and mccain??

you have your best shot with mitt..

how silly the extremists on the right are.

Mitt's the sanest man in the crazy house. But to hear him speak he's joined with the carnival barkers.

People said the same about McCain.
Why anyone on the left should be listened to is beyond me. When Republicans try to sound like Democrats to appeal to them they fail to appeal to both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats because Democrats want the real thing, Republicans because Republicans won't get out to vote for a Dem-lite.

My take:
Pawlenty and Santorum are are out. I thought both did horrible and both blow. I though Johnson and Cain were treated unfairly. They both got few questions, while most were focused on the other 3. However, when Cain got his chance to talk, he had awesome answers. I think he did the best.

Ron Paul is the master debator :lol:! The man can debate and can come up with witty answers. However, this stances did come out and were radical and at time hypocritical!

Mitt's the sanest man in the crazy house. But to hear him speak he's joined with the carnival barkers.

People said the same about McCain.
Why anyone on the left should be listened to is beyond me. When Republicans try to sound like Democrats to appeal to them they fail to appeal to both Democrats and Republicans. Democrats because Democrats want the real thing, Republicans because Republicans won't get out to vote for a Dem-lite.

Democrats will vote for Democrats
Republicans will vote for Republicans

It is the Independents that you have to appeal to because the Independents win elections. Sounding batshit crazy either left or right will not win a Presidential election

My take:
Pawlenty and Santorum are are out. I thought both did horrible and both blow. I though Johnson and Cain were treated unfairly. They both got few questions, while most were focused on the other 3. However, when Cain got his chance to talk, he had awesome answers. I think he did the best.

Ron Paul is the master debator :lol:! The man can debate and can come up with witty answers. However, this stances did come out and were radical and at time hypocritical!

Ron Paul is a master bator?

Unfair characterization of Keyes. First you place him to high on his level of debating skills. Second, you leave out the fact that he was running in Blue IL. Third, Keyes was a late addition to the senate race against Obama. Ryan was the incumbent candidate and was winning in the polls. Then his wife, the hot broad from Star Trek (one of the newer ones), came out with a ginormious sex scandal and he resigned from office in embarrassment. People wanted Ditka to run and he came close to running (in Chicago forgetaboutit, Ditka would have won in a landslide), just months before the election there was no candidate, so Keyes jumped in. If the sex scandal didn't break, Obama would have lost the senate race! Imagine where it would have gone from there!

It doesn't matter. There are no winners. It is a chance to see people perform.
Cain might do well. Alan Keyes was a vicious debater and probably won every time. And he lost to Obama and probably couldn't be elected dog catcher.

YouTube - GOP Debate Iowa- Alan Keyes

Unfair characterization of Keyes. First you place him to high on his level of debating skills. Second, you leave out the fact that he was running in Blue IL. Third, Keyes was a late addition to the senate race against Obama. Ryan was the incumbent candidate and was winning in the polls. Then his wife, the hot broad from Star Trek (one of the newer ones), came out with a ginormious sex scandal and he resigned from office in embarrassment. People wanted Ditka to run and he came close to running (in Chicago forgetaboutit, Ditka would have won in a landslide), just months before the election there was no candidate, so Keyes jumped in. If the sex scandal didn't break, Obama would have lost the senate race! Imagine where it would have gone from there!

Republicans and their sex scandals!!! When will it ever end?!?! :eek:

Firsts in the South: Debaters Square off in South Carolina - FoxNews.com
(1) Pawlenty - Former MN Governor
(2) Santorum - Former PA Senator
(3) Cain - Business man and Economic genius
(4) Paul - House Rep from Texas
(5) Johnson - Former NM Gov

Cain

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lt_28Sf-dk]YouTube - Herman Cain Is BIG WINNER at South Carolina GOP Debate[/ame]

I find this very interesting. OI have heard him speak a couple of times and have been very impressed. One thing I heard from a clip was thought provoking and different fronm the rest was in regards to pulling troops out of Afghanistan now. That would almost be a given since we have OBL and the way the country feels, but he said he wants to know ALL the information the government has before making that decision.

That sounds like a leader to me.

I hope the failure of this administration would not stain the chances of another black president for us in the short future. We cannot vote color. We have to vote the person, the intellect and the qualities each person has.

Well I was the vote predicting T-Paw would win and I was wrong. I would put him third or fourth tonight. I still think he is the most electable of the early starters but he did not shoot out of the gate running for sure.

Ron Paul was Ron Paul and I would put him just ahead of Gov. Tim Pawlenty in the debate. Still no reason to think he is any better off than the last time he ran. Seems determined to be the Republican version of Ralph Nader.

Sen. Rick Santorum was the least likable and oldest school establishment party goober up there. I'd rate him dead last tonight.

First place for common sense, good ideas and being downright likable had to be businessman Herman Cain running away. He had the most to prove and proved the most. He is the clear winner in my opinion. I'd guess he is also the least known and least funded with the smallest chance sadly.

Former New Mexico Gov. Gary John did OK and did as much as Cain in making me want to hear more and learn more. Not sure where to rank him tonight but he did well. Maybe it's overly optimistic to give him any shot with Paul on the same stage but he really seemed like "Ron Paul without the baggage" and an interesting choice for a possible VP slot.

Good show all in all but the whole thing felt like a teaser trailer for a blockbuster movie that is still nearly a year away from coming out. That's my two cents on the night.

Great interpretation. I would say it went like this:
(1) Cain - great answers, very witty and well crafted answers and came off very charismatic
(2) Ron Paul - He can debate and get his message through in a creditable and intelligent manner
(3) Johnson - Not that the Gov did good, because I thing he didn't do much to raise a low profile, but he did better than the others.
(4) Pawlenty - Cap and trade, for real? All he did was political speech and look stale and tired. I think he did the most to hurt himself.
(5) Santorum - Did horrible and looked horrible. His answers where machine like and he did horrible in answering the 18% wooping he took!

Firsts in the South: Debaters Square off in South Carolina - FoxNews.com
(1) Pawlenty - Former MN Governor
(2) Santorum - Former PA Senator
(3) Cain - Business man and Economic genius
(4) Paul - House Rep from Texas
(5) Johnson - Former NM Gov

Cain

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Lt_28Sf-dk]YouTube - Herman Cain Is BIG WINNER at South Carolina GOP Debate[/ame]

I find this very interesting. OI have heard him speak a couple of times and have been very impressed. One thing I heard from a clip was thought provoking and different fronm the rest was in regards to pulling troops out of Afghanistan now. That would almost be a given since we have OBL and the way the country feels, but he said he wants to know ALL the information the government has before making that decision.

That sounds like a leader to me.

I hope the failure of this administration would not stain the chances of another black president for us in the short future. We cannot vote color. We have to vote the person, the intellect and the qualities each person has.

I thought that was very impressive answer to. He said none of us are privy to all the information and he would like to see it, speak with the generals and advisors and make an informed decision!!! Great answer and a great man!

I get the feeling the left is scared... So far Palin/Mitt and McCain have not joined up and they all loved the idea of them up against Obama... As of now it could be anyone.

Oh Jil, the left better be afraid of CoCain! The man is just as Charismatic as Obama, HOWEVER, he is a great debator and doesn't need a telepromoter! He is the man!

It doesn't matter. There are no winners. It is a chance to see people perform.
Cain might do well. Alan Keyes was a vicious debater and probably won every time. And he lost to Obama and probably couldn't be elected dog catcher.

YouTube - GOP Debate Iowa- Alan Keyes

Keyes is very persuasive. Don't short sell him.
BUt the fact is he has lost every election he ever ran in.

Mitch Daniels and Gary Johnson are the ones I'd vote for.

Gary might have been a good candidate, but a pro-choicer can't with the Republican primary. He has little name recognition. Fair or not (in my opinion not, since he has a strong business background), he is seen at the pro-pot guy. I think he should be less defined by that, but that is what he will be painted as. Legalization of marijuana is a common sense cause, but be real, it's a losing stance. It couldn't even get passed in liberal CA or IL (just recently voted down MEDICAL Marijuana, can't IL ever get it right)?

Who won last night? The American people won. We are having a debate. We've had enough of Obama shoving his agenda down our throats after he promised bipartisanship during his term. It's way past time we actually worked on our problems instead of this phoney ass destroying our nation.

Best comment of the night goes to Ron Paul

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ASRtRetik]YouTube - RON PAUL @ REPUBLICAN PRESIDENTIAL PRIMARY SOUTH CAROLINA FOX NEWS GREENVILLE DEBATE 05/05/11[/ame]

start at 5:30, he makes the comment just before 6:00

That was the best one liner of the debate!

IMO the best quickie sound bite came from Herman Cain:

(paraphrased) Mr. Cain, you have no public servant experience. Wouldn't that be a handicap? (or something to that effect.)

His response (paraphrased): "I'm proud of having no elected experience. Most of the people now in power have elected experience. How's that working out for you?"

The Fox panel I think blew any chance at a 'wow' factor by not giving Cain and Johnson more questions. Both are the more interesting personalities right now and both would have provided some interesting perspectives given more opportunity to provide them.

Forum List

Back