GOP Chief Demands Reid's Resignation..

Rush is chastised for making racial comment on a black quarterback, but Reid can do it against a black would be president ... hmmm The shit stain said the book is closed as far as hes concerned (because that would jeopardize health care)

I think Reid's comment is racist, but it's a very different type of racism than Lott's and they're not really comparable, certainly not equal.

Reid's comment is borne out of ignorance. It's pretty ridiculous to me that someone could rise to the level of power he has and not know that "negro" is not an acceptable term to use, but it's not malicious. He's trying to compliment him. The first part of Reid's comment is an acknowledgment of political reality, I don't know that if Obama were the dark-skinned son of two black parents if he could have won the election because of America's unresolved issues with race. Sad but likely true, at the least it would have been more of a factor. The latter part, both the use of the word "negro" and in context a "negro dialect" are offensive, but his problem is that he's ignorant of the proper and acceptable words to use to describe that. He's not denigrating the race.

Lott's comment was: I support segregation, if we'd kept segregation and not given black people equal rights, the country would be better off. That's malicious. That's "I think black people are lesser citizens than white people."

It's the difference between a grandparent who doesn't harbor ill will towards anyone but doesn't know any better to not call black people "colored" when describing them and a grandparent who says "coloreds ruined this country." I'd correct the first one, I'd stop talking to the latter. Intent matters.

I get why it's being blown out of proportion. Republicans are far more often on the defensive when it comes to racism, so they'll naturally jump on an opportunity to go "Oh yeah, well they're racist too!" but this isn't in remotely the same realm as what Lott or Byrd or anyone who actually doesn't like black people are on the record saying. He needs to make an apology and feel like an idiot for awhile, it's not a reflection of animosity towards African Americans.

Last edited:
I think Reid's comment is racist, but it's a very different type of racism than Lott's and they're not really comparable, certainly not equal.

Reid's comment is borne out of ignorance. It's pretty ridiculous to me that someone could rise to the level of power he has and not know that "negro" is not an acceptable term to use, but it's not malicious. He's trying to compliment him. The first part of Reid's comment is an acknowledgment of political reality, I don't know that if Obama were the dark-skinned son of two black parents if he could have won the election because of America's unresolved issues with race. Sad but likely true, at the least it would have been more of a factor. The latter part, both the use of the word "negro" and in context a "negro dialect" are offensive, but his problem is that he's ignorant of the proper and acceptable words to use to describe that. He's not denigrating the race.

Lott's comment was: I support segregation, if we'd kept segregation and not given black people equal rights, the country would be better off. That's malicious. That's "I think black people are lesser citizens than white people."

It's the difference between a grandparent who doesn't harbor ill will towards anyone but doesn't know any better to not call black people "colored" when describing them and a grandparent who says "coloreds ruined this country." I'd correct the first one, I'd stop talking to the latter. Intent matters.

I get why it's being blown out of proportion. Republicans are far more often on the defensive when it comes to racism, so they'll naturally jump on an opportunity to go "Oh yeah, well they're racist too!" but this isn't in remotely the same realm as what Lott or Byrd or anyone who actually doesn't like black people are on the record saying. He needs to make an apology and feel like an idiot for awhile, it's not a reflection of animosity towards African Americans.

lol... You guys sure can spin.

Rep. Nancy Pelosi (D - CA): "He can apologize all he wants. It doesn't remove the sentiment that escaped his mouth that day."

Rep. Elijah Cummings (D - MD): I have not seen the apology, but I can tell you I'm very concerned and very upset that anybody that would issue such a statement would be in the leadership of this nation or the Senate. And so we're still trying to resolve exactly what action we will take, but guarantee, action will be taken.

Rep. Maxine Waters (D - CA): "I consider this as a Democratic Party issue, and the party should take into consideration what message this and other kinds of statements are sending to the African American community."

Rep. Diane Watson (D - CA): "I'm very, very troubled at the attitude expressed in his remarks, considering that he is fourth in line for the presidency. I think he needs to step down and I'm going to do all I can to see that that occurs."

Regarding Lott.

However with Reid, it's spin time.

Even Al the racist Sharpton is ok with it. :eek: :lol:

aside from his choice of words, reid does imply that the president is more palatable because he is light-skinned (less black) and lacked 'negro dialect' (less black). in the context of obama's election prospects, rather than the long-term prospectus on segregation, it makes a similar statement to lott's.

sure, lott would win the bigot contest with his statement, but if political correctness should apply to anyone, it should be folks in politics.

i think that some villains in dem leadership would do steele and his camp good in november. republicans are really inept, huh?

Reid is a douche. The statement shows how ignorant he is. I understand if people interpret it as racist.

That said, Trent Lott pretty much said that he supports racial segregation and that isn't close to what Reid said.

Sorry guys but Reid's words don't vindicate Trent Lott.

Resigning over a comment? This is freakin ridiculous. If Reid should resign, it should be over his more questionable transactions. But this? Dont let the Democrats use this to distract the people away from them destroying our health care system. Reids going to be out of office in 10 months anyway.

I'd answer for the black community, but I'm not up on my negro dialect.

That doesn't matter. White people can speak on behalf of black people. It's fine. It's not at all arrogant or condescending.

Note: The above post is for sarcastic purposes only. Just pointing out the glaringly obvious for the terminally stupid.

That doesn't matter. White people can speak on behalf of black people. It's fine. It's not at all arrogant or condescending.

Note: The above post is for sarcastic purposes only. Just pointing out the glaringly obvious for the terminally stupid.

FYI: Xenophon is black.

But he grew up in Bel Air...so he is not up on the negro dialect.

GOP's Steele Calls for Reid to Step Down as Leader Because of Racial Remarks -- Politics Daily

:cuckoo: What a serious idiot!!!! That will get you in deeper shit, than you are now. Oh!!!! Well!!! H e screwed up royal.

That is so stupid. Reid has the right to hate Negroes if he wants to.

xsisted1, you sure hit that one the NOSE!! Just as some in here have the right to say what they want, stupid or not.

Reid, I have never liked, another sleeze-bag politician more for his cronies than those who elected him.

I can certainly speak negro, and did at my prom with will.

alfonso011.jpg

Reid is a douche. The statement shows how ignorant he is. I understand if people interpret it as racist.

That said, Trent Lott pretty much said that he supports racial segregation and that isn't close to what Reid said.

Sorry guys but Reid's words don't vindicate Trent Lott.

Agreed. poor choice of words on Reid's part but Lott's words brought up a part of his past where he was actively supporting a racist candidate. Big difference.

I can certainly speak negro, and did at my prom with will.

alfonso011.jpg

You went to the prom with will?

Forum List

Back