GOP Chief Demands Reid's Resignation..

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AmericasBrave58, Jan 10, 2010.

1. AmericasBrave58

AmericasBrave58 Retired USN Nurse(Vietnam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +41
  2. pete

pete The food stamp president

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +232
    Rush is chastised for making racial comment on a black quarterback, but Reid can do it against a black would be president ... hmmm The shit stain said the book is closed as far as hes concerned (because that would jeopardize health care)

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. concept

concept Evil Mongering

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Why not? Libs went batshit crazy over Lott's comments but somehow this is different. :lol:

4. QUENTIN

QUENTIN VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I think Reid's comment is racist, but it's a very different type of racism than Lott's and they're not really comparable, certainly not equal.

Reid's comment is borne out of ignorance. It's pretty ridiculous to me that someone could rise to the level of power he has and not know that "negro" is not an acceptable term to use, but it's not malicious. He's trying to compliment him. The first part of Reid's comment is an acknowledgment of political reality, I don't know that if Obama were the dark-skinned son of two black parents if he could have won the election because of America's unresolved issues with race. Sad but likely true, at the least it would have been more of a factor. The latter part, both the use of the word "negro" and in context a "negro dialect" are offensive, but his problem is that he's ignorant of the proper and acceptable words to use to describe that. He's not denigrating the race.

Lott's comment was: I support segregation, if we'd kept segregation and not given black people equal rights, the country would be better off. That's malicious. That's "I think black people are lesser citizens than white people."

It's the difference between a grandparent who doesn't harbor ill will towards anyone but doesn't know any better to not call black people "colored" when describing them and a grandparent who says "coloreds ruined this country." I'd correct the first one, I'd stop talking to the latter. Intent matters.

I get why it's being blown out of proportion. Republicans are far more often on the defensive when it comes to racism, so they'll naturally jump on an opportunity to go "Oh yeah, well they're racist too!" but this isn't in remotely the same realm as what Lott or Byrd or anyone who actually doesn't like black people are on the record saying. He needs to make an apology and feel like an idiot for awhile, it's not a reflection of animosity towards African Americans.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
  5. concept

concept Evil Mongering

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +340
    lol... You guys sure can spin.

6. concept

concept Evil Mongering

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +340
    Regarding Lott.

However with Reid, it's spin time.

Even Al the racist Sharpton is ok with it. :eek: :lol:

7. antagon

antagon The Man

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +286
    aside from his choice of words, reid does imply that the president is more palatable because he is light-skinned (less black) and lacked 'negro dialect' (less black). in the context of obama's election prospects, rather than the long-term prospectus on segregation, it makes a similar statement to lott's.

sure, lott would win the bigot contest with his statement, but if political correctness should apply to anyone, it should be folks in politics.

i think that some villains in dem leadership would do steele and his camp good in november. republicans are really inept, huh?

8. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,190
    The statements aren't comparable.

Reid made an observation about America's racism.

Lott reconfirmed his own racism.

9. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
  10. NYcarbineer

NYcarbineer Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +30,190